UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Past Group Book Discussions > Long Earth Terry Practhett and Stephen Baxter

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments http://www.amazon.co.uk/Long-Earth-Te...

I have just read Long Earth, Long War and Long Mars, the full trilogy.

It has a journey to the centre of the earth sort of feel about it, but it poses a few challenges to mankind and what we might do faced with a suddenly changed reality.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Long-Earth-Te...

By the way, I am not particularly a Pratchett fan. Discworld bored me after the first gags started to get repeated, but this trilogy is a masterpiece and book one stands on its own with a real ending.

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (Spiderg1rl) (spiderg1rl) | 735 comments I've got the first two of this already and thought now the third one is out it's time to actually read them. I'm glad to hear it was a good read though. This may shoot it up my list a bit

message 3: by Adele (new)

Adele (adelemitch) How freaky, I started reading this yesterday after enjoying the first two but it's still very confusing. So have decided to just enjoy reading it & try not to figure stuff out ;o)

message 4: by Simon (Highwayman) (last edited Aug 02, 2014 03:33AM) (new)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Adele - you have read them in the right order I hope. They would be a bit confusing the wrong way round :

1. Long Earth
2. Long War
3. Long Mars.

message 5: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments I read Long Earth a while ago now, and quite liked it in a way even though it is not typical Pratchett. I haven't got around to the others yet.

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21872 comments Interesting
I read the Long Earth, and Long War is in my 'to read' heap

Normally Terry Pratchett books are just read immediately they appear, but Long War has been sitting there unopened for months which perhaps tells you I wasn't entirely overwhelmed with Long Earth
But I couldn't tell you why

message 7: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments Jim wrote: "I wasn't entirely overwhelmed with Long Earth
But I couldn't tell you why "

I don't know either. I didn't dislike it, and there were interesting and good things in there, but it just didn't seem to take off for me.

I suppose that it has been a couple of years since I read it and I haven't had any enthusiasm to around to the next one says something about it too.

message 8: by Adele (new)

Adele (adelemitch) No, definitely read them in the right order ;o)

(Just me getting confused & not remembering bits from previous book ie a certain earth-shattering event)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I've never read an entire Terry Prachett.

I'm gonna get kicked out of the group now, aren't I?

message 10: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "I've never read an entire Terry Prachett.

I'm gonna get kicked out of the group now, aren't I?"

Yes.

message 11: by Richard (new)

Richard Martinus | 646 comments David wrote: "Patti (baconater) wrote: "I've never read an entire Terry Prachett.

I'm gonna get kicked out of the group now, aren't I?"

Yes."

In my day, if you didn't know Monty Python, Douglas Adams and 'The Princess Bride' verbatim you got kicked off the whole internet.

message 12: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments Richard wrote: "In my day, if you didn't know Monty Python, Douglas Adams and 'The Princess Bride' verbatim you got kicked off the whole internet"

Yes, n those days it was a bit like this:

http://www.dahadley.pwp.blueyonder.co...

message 13: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21872 comments Oh very good David :-)

message 14: by M.T. (new)

M.T. McGuire (mtmcguire) | 7639 comments I can't believe the group is reading a book I'm reading. I'm enjoying the Long Earth although it's taking me ages to read. It's not like a usual Pratchett, it's a normal book. What I find strange is the underplayed nature of the humour. The fact the stepper has to have a potato in it, which is inherently comic, but then a lot of it isn't funny.

Cheers

MTM

message 15: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3130 comments I've read Long Earth and now Long War. I think the premise is absolutely fascinating and sets up some interesting conundrums. However, I do think both books sacrifice a plot-driven story in order to spend time wandering around these fantastic worlds they have built and admiring the sights. Quite where I get off criticising Pratchett and Baxter, I don't know, but this was my impression, for what it's worth.

message 16: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments David wrote: "Richard wrote: "In my day, if you didn't know Monty Python, Douglas Adams and 'The Princess Bride' verbatim you got kicked off the whole internet"

Yes, n those days it was a bit like this:

http:/..."

Aaaargh! it's the 1990s all over again! Unformatted HTML! The horror!!!

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9081 comments (I've never managed to finish a TP either)

message 18: by Richard (new)

Richard Martinus | 646 comments Tim wrote: "Aaaargh! it's the 1990s all over again! Unformatted HTML! The horror!!!"

Some of us never got beyond September 1993.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Rosemary (The Nosemanny) wrote: "(I've never managed to finish a TP either)"

Let's start our own group Nosemanny.

message 20: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "Rosemary (The Nosemanny) wrote: "(I've never managed to finish a TP either)"

Let's start our own group Nosemanny."

I've not even started one.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Cool. You can join our club David.

message 22: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments Looks like it's going to be a very select club.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments We'll be able to have our meetings in a snug.

message 24: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments Sounds very cozy. Will there be port to drink?

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Whatever you like, David.

message 26: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments Tim wrote: "Aaaargh! it's the 1990s all over again! Unformatted HTML! The horror!!! "

Yes. It was probably sometime in the nineties when I last looked at that website.

I think I wrote it with notepad.

message 27: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Baker | 5 comments These 3 books are really different and being a TP fan is actually irrelevant apart from knowing that Lobsang is actually Sweeper from the disc world but in a human setting.

These books explore a very different side of sci-fi with an interesting set of characters and with some very old world problems.

I've read all three though i have found the best way to read them is either via CD or audible - you really immerse yourself in whats happening.

just go try out the long earth and forget everything else you thought you knew about TP

message 28: by Adele (new)

Adele (adelemitch) Just finished this, not sure is we are to share reviews/thoughts/comments on here, so I won't. Suffice to say though, I did not enjoy this as much as the first book

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Oh, please share, Adele!

Use a spoiler tag if necessary but please do share.

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Adele wrote: "Just finished this, not sure is we are to share reviews/thoughts/comments on here, so I won't. Suffice to say though, I did not enjoy this as much as the first book"

But long earth is the first book isn't it?

message 31: by Adele (new)

Adele (adelemitch) Simon (Highwayman) wrote: "Adele wrote: "Just finished this, not sure is we are to share reviews/thoughts/comments on here, so I won't. Suffice to say though, I did not enjoy this as much as the first book"

But long earth i..."

yes Simon, rated LE 5 stars, LW 3 stars & LM 3 stars (but really should have been 2)
I am a MASSIVE Discworld fan but just could not get on board with this series of books & thought it went really downhill from the first outing & got too wrapped up in its self. But, just my opinion.

message 32: by M.T. (last edited Aug 09, 2014 02:12AM) (new)

M.T. McGuire (mtmcguire) | 7639 comments I've just finished the first book. It's more like Foundations Trilogy. The characters never seemed to come alive for me, like some of Asimov's stuff they seemed to be there as part of a huge history lesson rather than anything else. The main generator of tension went out with a fizzle rather than a bang that was a bit disappointing. It never really posed a threat, or at least it never seemed to. I liked it but I'd only give it three or four stars. I want to know what happens next so I'll probably read the next one but... Yeh you have to like a very different thing than Pratchett to enjoy this.

As an Asimov fan, I did enjoy it but if I was more of a Pratchett fan and not into Asimov I wouldn't have done.

Cheers

MTM

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Hmm, yes I agree it is soft science fiction. Apart from a few accidents and the odd city blown up it doesn't go for momentous action. On the next two books the idea of stepping loses its impact and number of big issues have to be washed over.. Like how settlers turned up beyond the gap and what was the point of the East expedition... But in all sf we are expected to suspend reality.

It did present some questions about what we will do when we encounter sentient life forms.

message 34: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments Simon (Highwayman) wrote: "It did present some questions about what we will do when we encounter sentient life forms. "

Dunno what we'll do, but they will probably tell us to bugger off and only come back when we've grown up.

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Morphic resonance. We will invent a way of contacting other life when it is time.

I'm still not sure the sheep have spontaneously learnt to roll over cattle grids though.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Sheep do that??

Wow!

message 37: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21872 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "Sheep do that??

Wow!"

Certainly sheep have learned to cross cattle grids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5PE6...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rIbZ...

Cattle can do it as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkE1u...

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments The second sheep used an entertaining technique

message 39: by M.T. (new)

M.T. McGuire (mtmcguire) | 7639 comments That's way cool.

message 40: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21872 comments Simon (Highwayman) wrote: "The second sheep used an entertaining technique"

I felt so :-)

message 41: by Darren (new)

Darren Sant (groovydaz40) | 10 comments I enjoyed the Long Earth as an interesting sci-fi idea. It was a tad over long but well characterised.

message 42: by Bernie (new)

Bernie Morris (berniem) | 164 comments Love Terry Pratchett