Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

The Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about The Kiss of Deception
BUDDY READS: ARCHIVED > The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson → Start Date: August 22, 2014

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mirsada (new) - added it

Mirsada (miri22) | 219 comments Lieniitte and I will be reading The kiss of Deception together. Please join us if you like, the more the merrier! =]

Summery:
In this timeless new trilogy about love and sacrifice, a princess must find her place in a reborn world.

In a society steeped in tradition, Princess Lia’s life follows a preordained course. As First Daughter, she is expected to have the revered gift of sight—but she doesn’t—and she knows her parents are perpetrating a sham when they arrange her marriage to secure an alliance with a neighboring kingdom—to a prince she has never met.

On the morning of her wedding, Lia flees to a distant village. She settles into a new life, hopeful when two mysterious and handsome strangers arrive—and unaware that one is the jilted prince and the other an assassin sent to kill her. Deception abounds, and Lia finds herself on the brink of unlocking perilous secrets—even as she finds herself falling in love.

(Liene) (lieniitte) | 727 comments Thanks for making the thread! I'll add this to my bookmarks now, so I don't forget. I can't wait! :)

message 3: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments I'm going to join too :) if that's okay?

(Liene) (lieniitte) | 727 comments Absolutely! We would love for you to join :)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Sounds great! Looking forward to it!

message 6: by Mirsada (new) - added it

Mirsada (miri22) | 219 comments Welcome everyone! =]

message 7: by Mirsada (new) - added it

Mirsada (miri22) | 219 comments Hey girls, I have been thinking...since the book has 72 chapters in total, should we maybe make a schedule. This helped me last time I did a read-a-long. It was kinda nice to have "check points" where we can discuss. I hope its ok with all of you? =]

Here is what I was thinking...

Aug 22 ->read ch. 1-18 & discuss
Aug 23 ->read ch. 19-37 & discuss
Aug 24->read ch. 38-56 & discuss
Aug 25 ->read ch. 57-72 & discuss

Let me know what you ladies think?

message 8: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments sounds good!! :) I'll pick up my book today! can't wait!

message 9: by Mirsada (new) - added it

Mirsada (miri22) | 219 comments Ok:)

(Liene) (lieniitte) | 727 comments Sure! I've never read a book like this before, split up by dates, but it'll be fun to try :)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm not sure I will keep to the schedule exactly, but I will try!!

I started it. Enjoying it so far!! Slightly frustrating that the characters know more than the reader at times, but it makes me want to keep reading to find everything out!!

(Liene) (lieniitte) | 727 comments I'm almost done with the book I am reading, then I will be starting this!
It's already 5 pm here, so I'd better get on it... :D

message 13: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments bleh. so sorry today just got too crazy
I'll start this one tomorrow!!

message 14: by Mirsada (new) - added it

Mirsada (miri22) | 219 comments Hey girls, it looks like I will have to bow down to the read-a-long. I hate to do that but it looks like I have to get a head start on school before it even starts blah. (That's what happens when you take 20 units smh lol) I do have a reading course I have to take, and it looks like we get to choose to read a book of our choice, so I might pick this one up again( depending what the project is). Hope you ladies understand, I hope we can do another read a long together in the future once I get the hang of this busy schedule I will have. =]

message 15: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments oh no worries Mirsada!!! Good luck with your classes!!! :)

message 16: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments Okay, I'm 18 chapters in

Rafe (view spoiler)

Kaden (view spoiler)

Pauline (view spoiler)

Lia (view spoiler)

I'm really liking this so far! I'll read more tomorrow!

message 17: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments OOOH

and I also wonder (view spoiler)

message 18: by (Liene) (last edited Aug 24, 2014 01:04AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

(Liene) (lieniitte) | 727 comments I'm 18 chapters in as well

I agree, Trisha, though I hadn't thought of the (view spoiler)

Rafe (view spoiler)

Kaden (view spoiler)

In any case (view spoiler)

Lia (view spoiler)

Paulina (view spoiler)

I really like the story so far.
I'll admit, I very rarely like the writing of books in 1st person. 1st person has to be very skillfully done to be enjoyable to read. It has to have a descriptive, storytelling feel to it, and this author has succeeded.
More often than not, the books I've read in 1st person just get annoying. The writing is usually just made up of statements, or so it feels and I want to scream at the narrator to stop it.
But in this one, I LOVE how the 1st person writing is done. It shows the skill of the writer!

(Liene) (lieniitte) | 727 comments And, Mirsada, it's completely fine! Things just come up sometimes :) I'm sad that you won't be able to read it though, it is really good! But I'm sure you will get to at some point :)

message 20: by (Liene) (last edited Aug 24, 2014 03:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

(Liene) (lieniitte) | 727 comments Ok, I know I haven't gotten to chapter 37 yet, I just read chapter 26. But I just have to mention something.
So spoiler for chapter 26:
(view spoiler)

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Trisha has summed up my thoughts perfectly on each character!!

I'm on chapter 27 (view spoiler)

(Liene) (lieniitte) | 727 comments Rebecca, I just looked and that was chapter 19 and it was from Rafe's point of view. It says Rafe not Assassin. Or is it a different chapter you are thinking of?

message 23: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments huh...so you think (view spoiler)

Interesting...
sorry guys, I didn't make it to this one today but i'll read more tomorrow and catch up to you guys :D
I can't wait to see if you're right Lieniitte!!!

message 24: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments Rebecca /will you follow me one last time\ wrote: "Trisha has summed up my thoughts perfectly on each character!!"

yay lol I love that we are all on the same page
except you guys are bringing up some great points!

I can't wait to read the ch 26 spoilers!! UGH :D

(Liene) (lieniitte) | 727 comments I haven't read much more yet, and this isn't a spoiler or anything, but I am still convinced it is Rafe who is the assassin! The reason I think he might not be, is because it would be a big twist and maybe the author wants it to be a big shock to readers or something. So far I have to agree with you and even just the feel of Rafe makes me think it's him :D

I will say that a few details make me doubt my conviction. Can't remember what ones right now though..

Another thing I thought of in chapter 31 that makes me even more convinced that its Rafe who is the assassin (view spoiler)

(Liene) (lieniitte) | 727 comments And, one comment on chapter 34 (view spoiler)

message 27: by (Liene) (last edited Aug 24, 2014 09:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

(Liene) (lieniitte) | 727 comments Ok, 37 chapters done.

Who is who (view spoiler)

Is it just me or (view spoiler)

Ok, so, now I am going with (view spoiler)

Gwyneth (view spoiler)

OH! I just thought of something esle! Still chapter 37 (view spoiler)

Lia (view spoiler)

Pauline (view spoiler)

The gift (view spoiler)

So there's my thoughts. I certainly hope the author doesn't throw us any more twists making me change my mind from the things I have now decided on! :D
Wow, sorry I posted such long thoughts, but this book is very thought provoking, making me analyze every single thing..... :D

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Lieniitte wrote: "Rebecca, I just looked and that was chapter 19 and it was from Rafe's point of view. It says Rafe not Assassin. Or is it a different chapter you are thinking of?"

Yeah chapter 19 was what I was thinking of. Hmmm, I guess that does not confirm it then. I'm still thinking it is him though ;)

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm really slowing down on this one. I wish I could keep reading faster, but I have a book I need to read for school this week :(

(Liene) (lieniitte) | 727 comments No worries, it looks like it's taking us all a long time. Though it's really good, I've had other stuff to do as well. I'm on chapter 53 and will post again soon, I'm actually reading at this very moment :D

message 31: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments Yeah, I had to finish a few books.
But I'm up, getting coffee and picking this one back up :)

(Liene) (lieniitte) | 727 comments Yay, Trisha! It is still as good as it was!
I have about 130 pages left and I think I'm going to finish it in this sitting.

message 33: by (Liene) (last edited Aug 26, 2014 06:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

(Liene) (lieniitte) | 727 comments Ok, well I'm 53 chapters in and I think I'll just post now.

Who is who. (view spoiler)

Kaden (view spoiler)

Rafe (view spoiler)

The camp (view spoiler)

The papers (view spoiler)

Even though a lot is happening, there's not really much else I can think of to talk about.

I wonder what will happen when (view spoiler)

OH!! And about the map in the beginning. (view spoiler)

message 34: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments okay
I'm 37 chapters in

I agree (view spoiler)

Kaden (view spoiler)
lol this author is really leaving us wondering, right??

Lia (view spoiler)

The papers/books (view spoiler)

Pauline (view spoiler)

I'll read more tonight!!

message 35: by Amanda (last edited Aug 26, 2014 11:54AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amanda | 4438 comments I read this book a little over a month ago, but was waiting to comment until you guys got near the end.

The assassin (view spoiler)

(Liene) (lieniitte) | 727 comments Trisha, Now that you mention it, (view spoiler)

(Liene) (lieniitte) | 727 comments Amanda, yeah, (Spoiler for chapter 43!) (view spoiler)

message 38: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments thru 56 chapters

Rafe (view spoiler)

Kaden (view spoiler)

Books (view spoiler)

message 39: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments and I"m done.

wow....this was (view spoiler)

Kaden (view spoiler)

Rafe (view spoiler)

Lia (view spoiler)

Gwyneth (view spoiler)

I'm definitely on board for reading book 2.
Be ready for HUGE cliffhangers guys....HUGE

(Liene) (lieniitte) | 727 comments Ooooh, I can°t wait. Though my online studies started a couple weeks early, so I had some things to do very suddenly and couldn°t finish reading in that last sitting. I did get further and now only have 60 pages left. I will be finishing a bit later!
It°s awesome that you liked it :)

(Liene) (lieniitte) | 727 comments Ok, so it did take me a while to read the last 60 or so pages because I had a ton of work to do.

SO...

Lia (view spoiler)

Rafe and Kaden (view spoiler)

The ending (view spoiler)

Gwyneth (view spoiler)

I really applaud the author. The writing is beautiful. I really usually hate 1st person, it's so difficult to get right. But she did it perfectly. Perfectly. And it was so emotional. Like I said, I don't usually cry in books. I shed 1 single tear at the end of Mockingjay in the epilogue, where Katniss is speaking of how (view spoiler) and also in one other book, I cried from joy.
If I had a tendency to cry in books, I would have in this one. I basically cried without any tears in the last maybe 40 pages. The emotion came through the writing and straight into my heart.

I will definitely be reading the next book. I would pay extra to get it like, now. AAhhhh..

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Just now finished this. I almost did not want it to end!! It was so beautiful! I wish the story could go on forever. I love Mary Pearson's writing!!

message 43: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments Yay! so glad you guys loved it too!! I'm dying for book 2. I really did enjoy this one :)

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Me too!! I can't wait until it comes out!! I think in the mean time though I will check out her other books. The Adoration of Jenna Fox looks interesting. I will probably start there :)

message 45: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments Rebecca /will you follow me one last time\ wrote: "Me too!! I can't wait until it comes out!! I think in the mean time though I will check out her other books. The Adoration of Jenna Fox looks interesting. I will probably start t..."

That's a pretty good one! I need to get back to that series! :)

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Glad to know it is a good one! I know what you mean about getting back to series....it seems like I have so many series started yet now finished! o.o