Indie Authors Monthly Magazine For Authors and Readers discussion

Hello! I guess. I don't know.

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Terrell (jacobterrell) | 4 comments Hello, everyone.
I'm Jacob, and while I'm not exactly new to GR, I am a new GR author, and this group looks right up my alley.

I love sci-fi and fantasy, but can also get into other teen, YA, and adult genres. I'm looking forward to connecting with everyone!

ReadWriteLove28 Hello! :)

ReadWriteLove28 You should definitely check out my book blog. I have a 3ebook giveaway going on now that I think you'd be interested in!

If you're interested in winning 3 free ebooks, check it out!

Www.Readwritelove28.com

message 4: by Daphne (new)

Daphne Chennault (daphnech) | 18 comments Hello. I'm also fond of Sci-Fi and fantasy, and am quite choosy about what I read.

The best quote I ever read about the genre goes something like this, "Science fiction is not about monsters and aliens, it is about people and possibilities" - Roger Zelazny

message 5: by Hákon (new)

Hákon Gunnarsson | 6 comments I like that quote, Daphne. I think there is a lot in that.

message 6: by Daphne (new)

Daphne Chennault (daphnech) | 18 comments Thanks, Hakon. Zelazny has been one of my favorite authors for many years. His Amber series--while decidedly chauvinistic--was one of the most imaginative in years. Recently I was able to get a signed copy of one of his books for my collection.

message 7: by Hákon (new)

Hákon Gunnarsson | 6 comments I've just read a few short stories by Zelazny, but I may have to check the Amber series out. It sounds interesting.

Kurt Vonnegut is one of my favorite authors and a few years back I found a signed copy of one of his books. Maybe it shouldn't matter that the author has written inside the book, but I think it does when it is a author that matters to you.

message 8: by Daphne (new)

Daphne Chennault (daphnech) | 18 comments Actually, Hakon (sorry, can't find the A with the accent on it to spell your name correctly), if the book has the author signature on the inside that is preferable. If he/she signs it on the cover (outside) that will degrade more quickly and could actually lower the sale ability of the book.

I've always found Vonnegut to be a bit difficult to read. I think it is his avant-garde style which gets to me. Galapagos was pretty good, though, and Bluebeard was a particular favorite.

If you are going to read Zelazny's Amber series, you need to be aware that it is two separate series, each consisting of five books. They are chronological, so you have to read the first series first. Start with the book, "Nine Princes in Amber". It reads quickly, and has a momentum of its own. Hope you enjoy it!

message 9: by Hákon (new)

Hákon Gunnarsson | 6 comments Daphne, I didn't know that the authors signature on the outside would degrade the value of the book. But I did know that the signature on the inside can make a book more expensive. Of course it depends on the author. I have one autographed novel that was $0.50 more expensive than one that hadn't been autographed. It's not a famous author.

Bluebeard was very good. Cat's Cradle has been one of my favorite novels for a long time. That's pretty straight science fiction story. Somehow I can relate to the humor or the satire in it.

I think I will try to find a copy of Nine Princes in Amber. It sounds quite interesting. Good to know where to begin as they are chronological. Thanks.

message 10: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 194 comments I've never read any of those series and I didn't know that authors names on the outside would lower the value of the book. I would have thought that it would have made it more.

message 11: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Terrell (jacobterrell) | 4 comments Oh man, Hakon, what a stroke of luck! I'd kill for a Vonnegut signed book.

message 12: by Daphne (new)

Daphne Chennault (daphnech) | 18 comments Serena, the reason the signature on the outside is detrimental is because normal handling of the book could compromise the signature. That means the book requires special handling--a glass case or a plastic bag around it all the time.

If the signature is inside the book, then it is protected by the book covers and the other text pages.

What authors do you like, Serena?

message 13: by Yolanda (new)

Yolanda Ramos (yramosseventhsentinel) | 37 comments Hi, I also like Vonnegut books.

message 14: by Daphne (new)

Daphne Chennault (daphnech) | 18 comments Which is your favorite, Yolanda? And why?

message 15: by Yolanda (new)

Yolanda Ramos (yramosseventhsentinel) | 37 comments Phew, I have a few Daphne, too many to have just one favourite. Terry Goodkind, Terry Brooks. love sword and socery fantasy. Also Feist, Eddings and Trudi Canavan. Also love anything with Merlin.
Anne Rice is also a favourite, although I don't read too many vampire stories.
Might check out Zalazny.

message 16: by Brian (new)

Brian Yansky Hakon,

I also love Vonnegut's twisted humor. Slaughter House Five is also a great one.

message 17: by Hákon (new)

Hákon Gunnarsson | 6 comments Jacob wrote: "Oh man, Hakon, what a stroke of luck! I'd kill for a Vonnegut signed book."

Yes, it was pretty good luck. It's a hardcover copy of Breakfast of Champions, a novel which I like very much.

message 18: by Hákon (new)

Hákon Gunnarsson | 6 comments Brian wrote: "Hakon,

I also love Vonnegut's twisted humor. Slaughter House Five is also a great one."

Slaugherhouse Five is great, but I didn't really get it until the second read. I think I was too young when I read it the first time. At that time it just confused me, but I read it again some years later and then I got it and really liked it. It really is among his best.

message 19: by Daphne (new)

Daphne Chennault (daphnech) | 18 comments I tried to read Slaughterhouse Five about the years ago, but couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll try again soon

message 20: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 194 comments Peers in and lurks around.

Indie Authors Monthly Magazine For Authors and...

unread topics | mark unread