Why Christianity? discussion

Major topics > Does Anyone Even Search For Truth Anymore?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Core | 303 comments We're all familiar with progressives whose religion is their ideology. No lie or action in support of their cause is too outlandish or over-the-top. The end justifies the means. I'm a scientist and I regret to say that precise mindset has always been present in our discipline, but is more prevalent recently. We have many "truths" (laws), but treating theories like laws should be verboten. Theoretical physics or abstract cosmology is just educated guesswork some of which may come to fruition eventually. Ecology or environmental biology is often outright false. Religion has always been about Faith. Claims of truth are tantamount to scientific theories. However that doesn't stop adherents from screaming from the rooftops that they absolutely know the unvarnished truth about God. There are small "truths" the individual can uncover from their spiritual journey - be content with them and buck the trend to be the loudest with some asinine version of truth that is merely opinion backed by unsubstantiated evidence.

message 2: by David (new)

David Pulliam | 42 comments Yes, people search for truth, here are a couple who come to mind:
Alvin Plantinga
Nicholas Taleb
Daniel Kahneman
Marilynne Robinson

I guess I could put myself but I have some doubts that might be false. ;)

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Core | 303 comments Ha! Ha! David - Diogenes would be proud - an honest man (sometimes probably, like myself!)

message 4: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle | 469 comments Mod
Very very few are willing to deal with the brutal truths of their belief systems. Most can't even comprehend it.

Even the truths of Christianity are nasty and painful.

From what I've read - most scientists are afraid of truth: it doesn't pay very well and will cause some to go insane... or simply quit.

Truth is my favorite pursuit. Others easily pursue desire or love.

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert Core | 303 comments Yes, Rod except where truth requires visiting a natural history museum where the age of fossils is explained and where the different geological strata are exhibited.

message 6: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle | 469 comments Mod
Why do you assume that what's presented to the masses is truth? Old bones and dirt may have a different story to tell.