What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Bargain
This topic is about Bargain
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Short Story: Foreigner Commits Perfect Murder In Wild West. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bailey (last edited Jun 25, 2018 10:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bailey So this is a short story I remember reading in an elementary school literature anthology, however I have browsed the anthologies and not found it.
It is narrated (first person) by a young boy (Jake? Jack? Or Slade?) who is an apprentice at a general store run by an immigrant. I think the immigrant is Dutch, but am not sure. All his speech is in dialect.
The general store owner has a racist employee who transports things for him. The owner knows this employee is drinking alcohol from barrels he transports. At one point, the employee confronts the owner in town and I believe spits on him or in general shouts racist things.
The owner feels he cannot do anything.
One night, there's a storm or something similar while the racist employee is doing transport.
SPOILERS:
The racist employee is found dead. Apparently, he drank rubbing alcohol because he was illiterate and assumed alcohol meant alcohol, especially if it was in a barrel.
There's some line at the end where the kid narrator asks the general store owner what he thinks about it all, i.e., "Did you...murder him?" because this is seen as the 'perfect murder' since it was the employee's theft/alcoholism/illiteracy that did him in through accidental suicide, and he was simply set up by the store owner to die. At this point, the store owner says, "Is good to know how to read," or something very similar. END.

The literary anthology I read it in is likely to have been published anywhere from 2000-2011. I am pretty sure it was published by Glencoe, Mcgraw-Hill, and it may have been specific to California.

I believe the story is set in the wild west.

message 2: by Mai (last edited Jun 25, 2018 11:49AM) (new)

Mai | 1276 comments Bargain by A.B. Guthrie, Jr.
You can easily find it online (the story or the study guides, exercises, etc.), for example, here: http://kendrahastings.weebly.com/uplo...
This is how it ends:
“Then ye go home, Al. Is good to know to read.”

Bailey Mai wrote: "Bargain by A.B. Guthrie, Jr.
You can easily find it online (the story or the study guides, exercises, etc.), for example, here: http://kendrahastings.weebly.com/uplo......"

OMG thank you so much! It is surreal how fast you found it when I have been looking for years! Thanks!

message 4: by Mai (new)

Mai | 1276 comments I'm glad this is the story you were looking for! It's all in the use of "" when you do Google searches :-)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Bargain (other topics)