Biography, Autobiography, Memoir discussion

In the Country We Love: My Family Divided
This topic is about In the Country We Love
Family Separation Due to Deportation

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sharon Orlopp (sharonorlopp) | 21 comments With the current events around children being separated from their parents at the border, wanted to share some books on this topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BRW0...

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

What books do you recommend about family separation and immigration?

Sharon Orlopp (sharonorlopp) | 21 comments What an awesome list! The only one I have read is Not Without My Daughter. You have just increased my "to read" list substantially! Thanks!

message 4: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 3119 comments Mod
I will bet that there will be a lot more books like this forthcoming.

message 5: by Selina (last edited Jun 26, 2018 10:09AM) (new)

Selina (literatelibrarian) | 2636 comments Its fiction but there might be some memoirs written on topic of what happened during world war 2 with the Nazi occupation in Guernsey.

Try The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I saw this movie recently.

Another is The Joy Luck Club or any novel by Amy Tan about the Chinese diaspora.

I havent read this one but its well known Exodus by Leon Uris about the migration of the Jewish people back to their homeland.

One of the most inspiring stories of all time is actually in the Book of Exodus, the mass migration of the Hebrews from Egypt to get to their Promised Land, but before that happened in Genesis read the story of Joseph how he got taken to Egypt and was separated from his family, but never gave up hope. Its in the Bible.

The movie Lion is based on this memoir A Long Way Home by Saroo Brierly who got separated from his family when he was 5 lost on a train in India and ended up being adopted to Australia. Its how he found his way home years later to reunite with his birth family through Google Earth.

Sharon Orlopp (sharonorlopp) | 21 comments Thanks Selina! I added Exodus and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society to my "to read" list. I loved The Joy Luck Club and A Long Way Home....and the movie Lion.

message 8: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 1747 comments I want to add the caveat that not all these titles are exactly about deportation, and in some cases the whole family is deported.