We Read Stuff discussion

The Proximity of Stars
This topic is about The Proximity of Stars
Books of the Month 2018 > The Proximity of Stars - July 2018 BotM

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (last edited Jun 24, 2018 10:27PM) (new)

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Discussion Thread for The Proximity of Stars by Benedict Stuart

Synopsis

Have you ever wondered if we choose our loved ones during our lifetime? Before or after that time? Do you ponder the meaning of your existence? Your destiny? What life would be like if your enemies or rivals didn’t exist at all?

Brian Sunderland, whom some might call a “profound researcher,” has been looking for answers to these questions. In fact, his entire life so far has been ruled by this quest, as he journeys through various dilemmas, such as surrendering to true love, his coming of age, fighting, standing up for his rights, helping others, and finally, leaving his mark on this world.

In stark contrast, Peter Drake is portrayed quite realistically, as he and a cast of “everyday heroes and heroines," including General Grant and Lianne Starling, deal with some extraordinary circumstances, tough times, action-packed scenes, and high drama.

Sympathetic characters as well as despicable ones float in and out, yet ultimately, the main intrigue of the story concerns the complex relationships and dynamic interactions that occur between the good guys and the bad.

Does each person deserve what he or she gets? Does each person move on with life – or simply fail? Read on to find out.

Boyko Ovcharov Looks intriguing and thought-provoking, good luck!:-)

Benedict Stuart That is good news, thank you!

Gigi Sedlmayer I have read the book and loved it
Your are for a treat

Boyko Ovcharov BTW, just a note to moderator -- shouldn't it be July instead of June BotM?:-)

message 6: by Eileen (last edited Jun 25, 2018 03:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eileen Thornton (eileenthornton) | 1 comments Congratulations, Benedict Stuart. Well deserved. I have read this book and really enjoyed it.

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 4 comments I have read the book. I really likes the way the story unfolded into full on intrigue. Very interesting.

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Boyko wrote: "BTW, just a note to moderator -- shouldn't it be July instead of June BotM?:-)"

Oops! Fixed

Boyko Ovcharov That's alright, thanks, Nikki, lovely!:-)

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) For those of you who have already read it I would suggest this is a perfect chance for a reread since now you can all discuss it together and also with other members who it may be there first time reading the book :)

message 11: by Boyko (last edited Jun 25, 2018 02:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Boyko Ovcharov Brilliant idea indeed.
OK, I think we can start off by noting that under the surface this book boasts a character-driven plot, a 'philosophical vent' and some visionary ideas.
However, most readers regard it as an enjoyable, fun, fast-paced and action-packed read, full of twists, turns and a bit of romance.
I tend to agree with all of the above statements.

message 12: by Mehreen (last edited Jun 25, 2018 03:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 4 comments I agree, the book is deep and surrealistic in the heart of it.

Benedict Stuart Spot on, Mehreen, thanks for your invaluable input.
In fact, various levels of reality are being presented through the eyes of protagonists.

message 14: by Boyko (last edited Jun 27, 2018 02:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Boyko Ovcharov Readers' Favorite Quotes:

“Life's a precious gift we all need to cherish at any given time and age. Think carefully, coz you won't have much time left on your hands afterwards”.

“Suddenly, the tiny little place called the Moon seemed so awe-inspiring and delightful to Brian. He felt young and strong again, uplifted and optimistic, brimming with hope, full of dreams and reveries.”

“They finally understood a simple fact: that when people help humankind move forward for the sake of future generations, their reward is a sense of well-being and spiritual enlightenment.”

Benedict Stuart Opening Lines:

"It was nearing sunset when the sky slowly turned amber. Brian could see two seagulls wafting on the golden horizon. The island seemed rather cozy for the two young and hopeful lads who just wanted to unwind a bit before entering into the world of hard work, family life and eventually, kids."

Saraya (notesfromabookworm) | 2 comments This is an incredible book! Looking forward to reading it again.

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) 49% read

Dixon reminds me of a child throwing a neverending temper tantrum. To me he comes of as a rather absurdist representation of an evil dictator, which goes with the general absurdist\sureal feel of the book so far.

message 18: by Boyko (last edited Jul 04, 2018 04:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Boyko Ovcharov You're right, Nikki, I agree. However, such immaturity and wickedness could be spotted in reality, ironically. And here, I mean, around us, within our families, friend circles, communities etc. I guess the book is also provoking us to challenge our true motives and ambitions, wherever we are.

Valeria (valea22) | 64 comments Starting it today!

Boyko Ovcharov Enjoy!

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) Starting it soon.

Be well all,
alwaysdaddygirl
🇺🇸

Valeria (valea22) | 64 comments I finished it yesterday, It's a quick and fluid read though there was several things which just didn't let me live the story.....
I'll publish no spoilers until everyone's read it.

message 23: by Boyko (last edited Jul 08, 2018 02:24AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Boyko Ovcharov Thanks, likewise!
Good luck:-)

Notes to fellow readers:
(A checklist)

First of all, one should know why they choose to read/finish a certain book.
Secondly, are there any subtle or hidden messages, metaphors etc. there as well? I.e. something that's not said directly, but is just implied.
Moreover, who is the actual narrator and how the story is being presented? If it is done through the eyes of the main characters, then how do we perceive reality and its various aspects?
Can we identify with any of the characters at all, why/why not?
Finally, what do we actually look for in a literary work -- a cozy read or something new to learn, explore or examine, challenge or question?

Of course, any further ideas and points regarding reasons for reading are welcome:-)

More specifically, concerning this book, I assume we should analyze its depth accordingly:

Do the names of the characters have special meaning/s?
How about the names of the planets?
What about the setting itself? Why is it changing?
What's the meaning of all the different places and landscapes?
Ultimately, is the ending unexpected, logical, surprising, enjoyable, eye-opening, puzzle-solving etc.?

message 24: by S Roberta (new)

S Roberta (srk4cats) | 13 comments First of all, one should know why they choose to read/finish a certain book.
Most of the time I choose a book by its cover. I also like the smell of fresh ink. I think someone should bottle it and make it into an air freshener. Occasionally, I will choose a book by its content. Well, most of the time, but it gets bonus points for a good cover picture and fresh smell.

Benedict Stuart That sounds like a piece of art, which could be publicized.

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) I finish the book. It just felt like certain pieces were missing. I was thinking this might be the second book in the aeries but it was not. It was intersting.

Kind Regards,
Alwaysdaddygirl
🤙🇺🇸

message 27: by Boyko (last edited Jul 31, 2018 01:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Boyko Ovcharov Thanks for your comments, RM. They are appreciated. Glad you are interested.
In fact, if I may add, some things are better being left unspoken and rather implied. :-)

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) Boyko wrote: "Thanks for your comments, RM. They are appreciated. Glad you are interested.
In fact, if I may add, some things are better being left unspoken and rather implied. :-)"

You are correct. My apologizes. You provide good reasons. I am going to change the review to a 5 because of that. When I think of what you said, it all clicks. Again, my apologizes.

If I may,🤗🇺🇸

message 29: by Boyko (last edited Aug 02, 2018 03:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Boyko Ovcharov You're welcome, RM. No problem, thanks. I'm glad you came to that conclusion by yourself. Have you considered posting your review on Amazon as well, BTW?

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) I did not. I am in grief and my zombie brain is in a fog majority of the time. Life can be worst. I will go do it now. My apologizes. Hope all is well.🇺🇸🇺🇸

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) Boyko wrote: "You're welcome, RM. No problem, thanks. I'm glad you came to that conclusion by yourself. Have you considered posting your review on Amazon as well, BTW?"

Done!🤗🇺🇸

Benedict Stuart Well done!

message 33: by Benedict (last edited Aug 02, 2018 12:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Benedict Stuart Oh, I see, sorry -- all of us have some hard times once in a while. However, life goes on!

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) Benedict wrote: "Oh, I see, sorry -- all of us have some hard times once in a while. However, life goes on!"

Whoops. I did not see earlier. Still in 🧟‍♀️ mode. Sorr. Mahalo!🤗🇺🇸