I Kill the Mockingbird I Kill the Mockingbird discussion

Middle Grades - I Kill the Mockingbird

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carina (new) - added it

Carina Sauter After the sudden death of their English teacher, Lucy, Elena and Michael watch their new substitute teacher list off titles of books to read over the summer on the board. Uninterested in most, they think about how important it was for Mr. Nowak to have his students read 'To Kill a Mockingbird' over the summer and begin to hatch up a plan. Using unconventional ways to get the town interested in the book, these students have an adventurous summer over a novel that many students despise reading - because they are forced to do so.
I took a class a few semesters ago called 'Theory of the Novel'. My professor took primary source novels - like 'Jane Eyre' and 'Pride and Prejudice' - and matched them with modern adaptations and unique pieces. Doing so created an environment in the classroom where we could appreciate the classics while seeing their impacts on literature today. Though 'I Kill the Mockingbird' could be used as a funny, adventure-filled-summer book for enjoyment, I also believe it can open a conversation between classics and adaptations today.

message 2: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Lovely reflection, Carina. Do you think kids would be more likely to read To Kill a Mockingbird after reading this novel? Or do you think they have to have read TKAM first to understand this book?

I think we have to have some spirited conversations around the balance between classics and YA novels like this one--something Buehler talks about in this week's reading (Week Four). I'll be interested to hear your take on it.