Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

An Irish Country Doctor > 7. Impression of directions Barry received.

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol  Jones-Campbell (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
7. What kind of impression did you get of the directions Barry received of finding Ballybucklebo?

message 2: by M.E. (new)

M.E. Hembroff (mhembroff) | 93 comments Very unusual directions.

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol  Jones-Campbell (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
My impression is that they live by landmarks. So find this, then find that and eventually you will get to the place you are looking. When you see the countryside there, it makes some sense that that would be the way they find things.

message 4: by Pam (new)

Pam | 218 comments Agree!

message 5: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments I thought it was setting up the fact that they weren't the smartest (or maybe I should say the most sophisticated) people in the world. It did make me laugh, though: "... if I were you, I wouldn't have tried to get to Ballybuckleho from here in the first place."

message 6: by Chelsea (last edited Jun 26, 2018 01:44PM) (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments They were probably so rural they didn't have street names. Just lots of dirt roads and people who know how to get everywhere without needing directions or a map.

message 7: by Barb (new)

Barb (deckerbunch) | 227 comments I thought it was kind of like Professor Hill's reception (Music Man) when he got off the train. Nobody would give him a straight answer when he asked for directions. He was in a close-knit small town in Iowa, and the people there were wary of strangers.