Great American Read List discussion

Reading and Associated Themes > Do You Spring-Clean Your Library?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jun 25, 2018 08:59AM) (new)

Lavan Zerach | 498 comments Mod
Shortly after joining GoodReads I spring-cleaned my home library. I wanted to add my print copies to my virtual shelves here on GR (both to-read and to_reread books). I find it easier to choose my next book in that way rather than browsing my bookshelves at home. I don't spring-clean them every year, only when it seems necessary to make room and reorganize. Sometimes I donate to my local library, sometimes to the Salvation Army or to used book stores for credit. I donate books I've no intention of reading and have no idea of how they got there (this actually happens), books that I have doubles of (not sure how this happens either), and books I've rated less than three stars and I know I won't bother reading again or recommending.

Do you spring-clean your library or do you keep every book you've ever bought or been given? Please share!

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy  | 35 comments I spring clean my Goodreads want to read list. My list gets outdated and sometimes I wonder why I ever added a certain book.

message 3: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Anderson (miss5elements) | 7 comments I have spring-cleaned my library a couple of times over the past few years - just to keep the space from getting stagnant. I've learned that the local library no longer accepts donated books on a regular basis. They have a once a year book sale where you can get rid of your books & buy used ones for $1.

I keep it clean by rarely buying books. I listen to audiobooks either from the library or the Scribd app.

message 4: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jun 25, 2018 09:08PM) (new)

Cindy wrote: "I spring clean my Goodreads want to read list. My list gets outdated and sometimes I wonder why I ever added a certain book."

I haven't spring-cleaned my GR shelves yet, but I have deleted subsequent books in a series when I rated the first book 3 stars or less. I wouldn't want to waste my time reading an entire series if the first book wasn't a great read.
With our continually growing to-read shelves, I can see how occasionally spring-cleaning on GR would be a good idea!

message 5: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jun 25, 2018 04:39PM) (new)

Tiffany wrote: "I have spring-cleaned my library a couple of times over the past few years - just to keep the space from getting stagnant. I've learned that the local library no longer accepts donated books on a r..."

If you should listen to an audiobook from the list that you think is well-narrated, would you please share that with the group? I know that there are other members that prefer and enjoy audiobooks that would appreciate it! I've created a new topic, Audiobooks—Member Recommendations, for that purpose.

message 6: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Anderson (miss5elements) | 7 comments Oh great! I'll be sure to add some.

message 7: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 123 comments I used to move each year (raising rental prices, stagnant teacher salary, etc.), so I've made it a habit to go through my books each summer and clear out anything that I won't reread. I take a box or two to the used bookstore for credit.

message 8: by Lavan, moderator (new)

Thank you, Tiffany!

Bethany—bookstore credit comes in handy for people like us! Whenever I get a haircut, afterwards, I browse a used bookstore that's right next door. It's become a routine of mine and a great way to find books that are out of print.