Beta Reader Group discussion

Writing Advice & Discussion > Question for Authors- PLEASE READ

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MysticMemories (new)

MysticMemories | 21 comments Would you pay for a Developmental Editor?

For those of you who don't know, a developmental editor is someone who...

Developmental editors offer specific suggestions about the core intentions and goals of the book, the underlying premise, the story, character development, use of dialogue and sensory description, the polish, narrative voice, pacing, style, language – the craft and literary art of the book.

A good editor will make specific suggestions, like adding new backstory or current time elements that demonstrate change, transformation, some major progress from the crisis to the last curtain.

((I got this information from:
http://www.alanrinzler.com/blog/2012/...))

message 2: by L.s. (new)

L.s. Matthews | 20 comments When I was researching editors I found several that would do developmental editing, copy editing. Or both. The price depended on your needs.

My point being that there must be a market for it.

As to wether I would pay for it. I was considering, but I don't think I will. But I considered :).

message 3: by Lea-Ellen (new)

Lea-Ellen (lea-ellen_night_owl_in_il) | 66 comments MysticMemories wrote: "Would you pay for a Developmental Editor?..."

A developmental editor is the first type of editor that an author works with if they are being published through a large publishing company. That type of editing takes the longest and is the most expensive type for self-published authors, which is the main reason that they don't use one.

If you have the money to invest in a book for that and think your story would benefit from it, it is certainly a viable option.

If you don't have the money, you can try to get several different beta readers to help you out, before you have your book "edited" (leaving out the developmental/substantive editing type). [Developmental/substantive (D/S) editors do not correct all of the grammar, spelling, formatting, etc., or final line copy of books, which is why you need a different type of editor after the D/S editor.]

message 4: by David (new)

David P. (davecantrell) | 9 comments I chose not to on my recently published Kindle
E-book. I just couldn't justify the cost. I used several beta readers, but only two provided worthwhile feedback and most of that was in the nature of line proofing. Still it was helpful. And, the couple of ideas I received were implemented and improved the story in my mind. My wife was an alpha reader and provided excellent ideas. I didn't implement all of them, which was a bit uncomfortable.

I hate detail proofing because I keep missing things. I think I might invest in a proofing editor next time.