Play Book Tag discussion

18 views
June 2018: Magical Realism > The Astonishing Color of After by Emily X.R.Pan, 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne | 102 comments I was torn between 3-4 stars for this book by a first-time author, just published in March. I didn't realize it was YA when I chose it, but sensed it almost immediately. Under YA genre, I would give it the 4 stars, but there were some sections/topics that I didn't think were necessary for the overall story, but that would probably appeal to teens. Overall I enjoyed the story and I thought the author did a good job showing a glimpse into a family that has dealt with depression, suicide, grief. There is some culture of Taiwan, and light high-school romance that was sweet. As far as the magical realism, I especially like when I leave a magical-realism story with the thought-provoking possibility that it may have been magic, or may have been the person's internal way of dealing with something.


message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I have read some books recently that were the first for authors and I have been so impressed with their writings. I also love your last thought. I like that feeling of wondering if it truly was magical or a person's way of dealing with something. Good review.


Tessa (FutureAuthor23) | 229 comments I just heard about this book this week and I put it on my list two days ago with a question mark cuz I wasn't sure if I wanted to check into it or not. Now that you say it is YA that makes me even more hesitant. Not a big fan of YA usually.


message 4: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments Yvonne wrote: "I was torn between 3-4 stars for this book by a first-time author, just published in March. I didn't realize it was YA when I chose it, but sensed it almost immediately. Under YA genre, I would giv..."

Along with Rachel, I like that last thought. The way of dealing with something is the type of magical realism I prefer.


message 5: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne | 102 comments Tessa (FutureAuthor23) wrote: "I just heard about this book this week and I put it on my list two days ago with a question mark cuz I wasn't sure if I wanted to check into it or not. Now that you say it is YA that makes me even ..."

Thanks for the feedback Tessa - If you do like magical realism, and I'd add that it could also tag as cultural-fiction (which I love), then keep it on your maybe-list and maybe look past the YA and call it a nice light summer read! I also recommended it to my YA daughter who I think would love it.


message 6: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne | 102 comments Rachel wrote: "I have read some books recently that were the first for authors and I have been so impressed with their writings. I also love your last thought. I like that feeling of wondering if it truly was mag..."
Thanks for the feedback Rachel, I would recommend it for any of the tags of magical realism, YA, cultural fiction, or just a light summer read. And I recommended it to my YA daughter who I think would love it. I hope it does well for the new author.


message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9364 comments I love the idea of that fine line too - what is magical and what is dealing with something.


back to top