Addicted to YA discussion

The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1)
This topic is about The Knife of Never Letting Go
Series > The Knife of Never Letting Go

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 5276 comments Mod
What did you think of it? Favorite or least favorite characters? Favorite or least favorite part? Will you read the next one?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

THIS BOOK WAS AMAZING. It's the first book since Lord of the Rings to ever receive 5 stars from me. Todd and Viola were so relatable, and Todd's quote about falling at the end just blew me away.

Madeline (madchase) | 4 comments This book is one of my absolute favorites. Seriously, I could read it a thousand times and never get sick of it.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I also loved how it was written in a different style than other YA books. And I have Todd's quote on my profile info.
"I think maybe everyone falls. I think maybe we all do. And I don't think that's the asking. I think the asking is whether we get back up again."

Brandon Book Nerd (bwm721) | 186 comments I read it long ago. I loved it. The great thing about it is that unlike other YA books I've read, Todd is no different than any other boy, except the fact that he's the last boy. So he has no magic powers or any good skill, just a knife and his bare hands. I love Viola. She's my favorite character besides Todd.

message 6: by Sarah Nichole (last edited Aug 05, 2014 01:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah Nichole | 60 comments Todd is definitely my favorite, he's not perfect, not even close. But it's what makes him so easy to love and relate to. (view spoiler) All in all great pick for BOTM, so happy I finally read this, and I will definitely be buying the next one thanks to that wonderful cliff hanger.

“War is like a monster," he says, almost to himself. "War is the devil. It starts and it consumes and it grows and grows and grows." He's looking at me now. "And otherwise normal men become monsters, too.”

Riya | 0 comments I was very disappointed by this book. Many people (as seen here) really fell in love with it, but I felt cheated. The description made the book seem very different from what it actually was and I felt like the whole thing was just a setup for the next book.

message 8: by Zac (new) - added it

Zac I loved this book, and indeed the whole series. It was very different and Patrick Ness uses fonts and different size text to convey meaning which I really liked. I felt like Todd was very down to earth and I loved seeing Manchee's thoughts which added amusement.

Leanne (lx2000) Riya wrote: "I was very disappointed by this book. Many people (as seen here) really fell in love with it, but I felt cheated. The description made the book seem very different from what it actually was and I f..."

I feel the exact same way. I love the concept and writing style, but the plot itself just didn't deliver.

message 10: by Snow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Snow (Booklover12358) | 273 comments I loved this book! I know people who gave up after the first chapter, but I loved all of it. I felt connected to the characters. and, to be honest, I loved the rest of the series too. at the beginning, the first chapter put me off a bit, but I couldn't put the book down.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't like the first chapter either, but this book was fantastic!

Tirta (strrlight) | 3 comments The first time I read the book I was like 'Wtf is this' and left it for some time but then I picked it out again, and dang I couldn't put the book down. Try to survive its first 100-ish pages, I personally think the story gets better and better after that.
Fave character? Can I vote for Manchee? :))

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Manchee is fantastic too! I liked him so much!

message 14: by Dora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dora (dorap) | 19 comments I adored this book-Patrick Ness can bring out any emotion from his readers (at least in my experience). I was a bit baffled when I started reading it; the first chapter really dropped you into the story, but soon got into it.
The Noise is quite a terrifying prospect, I'm glad I am a woman because I wouldn't be able to put up with it! I really couldn't stand Prentiss Jnr, either, and loved Viola, Manchee and Todd. I'm stuck on the 3rd book, and will start reading that again soon. :-)

message 15: by Snow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Snow (Booklover12358) | 273 comments My favourite character was Davy Prentiss Jr.

message 16: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Lowry (mlowry57) | 26 comments It's been a few years since I read this series. I was amazed at the writing style and the cleverly designed plot. To say the least I loved all of them. I'm terrible at remembering characters names but as I read the other comments I remember the impression they left on me. Todd was my favorite.

Sarah Nichole | 60 comments Tirta wrote: "The first time I read the book I was like 'Wtf is this' and left it for some time but then I picked it out again, and dang I couldn't put the book down. Try to survive its first 100-ish pages, I pe..."

I did the same thing when I started reading! I could not overlook all of the grammar and spelling. But once I focused on the story and got past the first little bit I was in love.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

@Snow - I really like him too! In The Ask and the Answer, when (view spoiler), I almost cried!

Bookiemonster | 35 comments I also liked the way he included misogyny, feminism, war, those types of themes into his book, with other motifs of exploration and colonisation.
I'm a boy, and im very angry and sad that the noise does its full effects on males. I reaaaally hate that. i just cant imagine my secrets getting out. Maybe the disease has something to do with testosterone levels?

message 20: by Madi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Madi It took me the first 5 or 6 chapters to get into this book, but I did warm up to it. I thought it was interesting and entertaining. My favorite character was definitely Manchee. Maybe its just because I am 100% sure this is how my dog would "talk" if he had the ability, but every time Manchee said something I couldn't help but laugh.

message 21: by Dora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dora (dorap) | 19 comments Madi wrote: "It took me the first 5 or 6 chapters to get into this book, but I did warm up to it. I thought it was interesting and entertaining. My favorite character was definitely Manchee. Maybe its just b..."

I used to like the things Manchee would mumble under his breath! :-)

Uditi | 23 comments I have to say the way in which Aaron the town preacher was written as a really creepy guy that just built up in the book was really very good.

Femke it was amazing, I've read it two times. the first time it was good, not the best start but the ending was perfect ( not that what happened was perfect but how he forced me to read the second book) the second time reading it was sad because I cried when manchee died. And I saw that when they were very happy and immediatly something bad happened. So for the reader it is way harder to read futher because if he had said that all bad things happened and finally Manchee died then wasn't that even as shocking as it is now.
It's weird that not many people have read it in my country (netherlands, sorry my english isn't very good) but I want this book as our little secret and keep it away from the big community.

Emily Taylor (taylorink) I loved this series!!!!!!
I met the author too, a great guy. Though I think he may have thought I was stalking him when I sneaked a pic in the food line lol v.v

Sarah | 32 comments The first time I picked up this book, I didn't bother reading it because of all the misspellings, but when I picked it up again, Im so so glad I did! The way it was written added to Todd's character and the way he spoke and thought, I loved the originality of Patrick Ness' writing. The characters were amazing (Manchee!!) and the feelings packed into the words... One of the best series' ever definitely