Gorgeous Guys, Beautiful Books, and Occasional Vampires discussion

Book Discussions > The Gemma Doyle Books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 99 (99 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Courtney (new)

Courtney I haven't read this ..... yet of course

message 2: by Holly (new)

Holly | 139 comments I started reading this in the seventh grade...wow I feel old now. I must have read the first one, A Great and Terrible Beauty five times now. The series is incredible, especially if you like historical fiction and magic. Sometimes the mythology is a little hard to follow, but it's not too difficult.

message 3: by Rebecca ❤ Bea ❤ (last edited Aug 21, 2009 11:00AM) (new)

Rebecca  ❤ Bea ❤ | 35 comments They're amazing. The sweet far thing is the best. I love Kartik!!!!! ❤

message 4: by Holly (new)

Holly | 139 comments He's pretty amazing. The end of that...did you cry? I did. He loves her so much...

message 5: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 476 comments I didn't like the ending, I understand why it happened but it still made me cry.

message 6: by Holly (new)

Holly | 139 comments It was so sad! I wanted them together and then... Stupid mythology.

message 7: by Rebecca ❤ Bea ❤ (last edited Aug 22, 2009 07:44PM) (new)

Rebecca  ❤ Bea ❤ | 35 comments I cried so much at the ending (I was on a train so it was really embarrising) but in some ways I'm glad it ended the way it did. I loved kartic and ardorded him and gemma together but sometimes a happy ending doesn't really seem realistc, so to preserve the quality of the novels I think it had to end like that however much I wanted them to be together. It's like the title says, the sweet far thing. The bitter sweet quality of their relationship was what made it so beautiful.

message 8: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) I saw the third book of this series at the bookstore and I was going to buy it, until I realized just how humongous it was! I'm happy I didn't because then I wouldn't have been able to read it until I'd got the first two! The first book sounds good though, so hopefully I'll read it sometime.

Rebecca  ❤ Bea ❤ | 35 comments do do do they're really good.

message 10: by Holly (new)

Holly | 139 comments It's amazing! There's so much mystery involved, I'm as screwed up as Gemma is. I'd say if you like Harry Potter, this is like the older (well, in setting) and girlier version of it.

Rebecca  ❤ Bea ❤ | 35 comments and Kartic is hot...

message 12: by Holly (new)

Holly | 139 comments Oh, so true. He's Indian, isn't he? It's been so long since I've read it. I'm trying to go over details in my head. Maybe if I get bored sometime, I'll pull out the trilogy and reread.

Rebecca  ❤ Bea ❤ | 35 comments Yeah he's indian

message 14: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) Ahh, then I can't wait to get a copy of the first book! :)

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandag123) these books were good for me but not amazing. so much stuff just seemed too real and too sad, it's no happy ending and i'm just a sucker for those lol

message 16: by Holly (new)

Holly | 139 comments I know! I was so upset at the end of the third one! I kept wanting to scream at them. But I know why it happened and it's not like I'm the author.

message 17: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) i brought the first one today so i will be reading it very soon which am looking forward to reading it

message 18: by Heather B (new)

Heather B (heatherbenson) I absolutle loved this series, I think that I'll even reread it some day. One thing though is that I didn't like the ending of the last book, those who have read it prbably know what i mean.

message 19: by Dani (new)

Dani (eruname) | 8 comments I'm reading The Sweet Far Thing now. And for what you've said i am starting to think about posible endings .. hope it won't make me cry too much cause i tend to do it hehe.

Don't know why but I sometimes forget that the series is set in the 1800

message 20: by Heather B (new)

Heather B (heatherbenson) I love that about the books, that their set in the past. And I don't know if it will make you cry but I know I did, but sometimes things make me cry easily.

message 21: by Dani (new)

Dani (eruname) | 8 comments I finished it and yeah I cried!! There was no way I wouldn't with that end!! Okay it made sense and was good and all but the other part of me wanted it to be different.

message 22: by Heather B (new)

Heather B (heatherbenson) Oh I definietly wanted it to be different, I really liked Kartik.

message 23: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) i want to read those

message 24: by Heather B (new)

Heather B (heatherbenson) You should there really good, I strongly suggest them.

message 25: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) im desirous i HAVE TO READ THOSE BOOKS

message 26: by Heather B (new)

Heather B (heatherbenson) Ahaha :P

message 27: by Courtney (new)

Courtney I just finished book one and am super upset about Pippa, although I kinda saw it coming. She was so dramdic and loved her fanasies that she just couldn't live in the normal world with a husband she didn't love. I liked Gemma a lot but I found Ann terribibly annoying. I liked Felicity okay too.

message 28: by Heather B (new)

Heather B (heatherbenson) I actually wasn't that upset about Pipi, it was sad but she wasn't my favourite character. What did you think of Kartik?

message 29: by Courtney (new)

Courtney I liked him, right now we still don't know much about him. He's still kinda the mysterious guy in the corner if you know what I mean

message 30: by Heather B (new)

Heather B (heatherbenson) Ya I definietly do, and I still remember reading that book and wanting to know more about him because he was so mysterious and secretive.

message 31: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Totally! :)

message 32: by Heather B (new)

Heather B (heatherbenson) Are you going to read the next book soon?

message 33: by Courtney (new)

Courtney I hope so, I just gotta go back to the libery. The thing is that I borrowed 4 books the other day and I read this one first. So I still got 3 books on my sheilf

message 34: by Heather B (new)

Heather B (heatherbenson) Ya, I'm doing the same thing, I have a bunch of books, so I mix it up and read different ones all the time. Even if I really like a series, I break it up so that it last longer.

The last book in that series is really long too.

message 35: by Courtney (new)

Courtney in these books? cool, I like long books.

message 36: by Heather B (new)

Heather B (heatherbenson) Ya I think that it's like over 800 pages or something, but it doesn't feel long.

message 37: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) wow, that sounds like a load of reading! hopefully it's a really good book lol, otherwise that would be a torture to read!

message 38: by Heather B (new)

Heather B (heatherbenson) I thought it was really good, so I didn't have trouble reading it at all.

message 39: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) oh okay. i really want to read this series. what's the first one called?

message 40: by Courtney (new)

Courtney A great and terrible beauty

message 41: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) Ohh. hmm, alright thank you Courtney :)

message 42: by Courtney (new)

Courtney No problem :)

message 43: by Heather B (last edited Feb 23, 2010 06:21PM) (new)

Heather B (heatherbenson) I definietly recommend them, I absolutly loved the series and will probably reread it some day.

message 44: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) well, im going to see if i can find the first book at my school library or something, as i'd really like to read it.. it sounds soo good ! :)

message 45: by Courtney (new)

Courtney yeah, I've only read the first one and I liked it a lot. Now I have to go back to the library and get the second,

message 46: by Courtney (last edited Mar 22, 2010 12:55PM) (new)

Courtney Do you like Gemma's brother?

message 47: by Heather B (new)

Heather B (heatherbenson) Her brother? Umm... I don't hate him but I have to say I didn't really like his additude, he was snoby, but that's how people were back than.

message 48: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 476 comments Can't remember much of him, but I didn't think he was too nice, so no I don't like him

message 49: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) Not a big fan of him.

message 50: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Yeah, men did act supieror back then. But still...I think his behavior is insulting

« previous 1

Gorgeous Guys, Beautiful Books, and Occasional...

unread topics | mark unread