What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man
This topic is about Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. YA (?) - female narration, possibly set during the Great Depression somewhere in the South (?), narrated by a girl who wants to become a model, her father always looses money, they has a restaurant by the beach (?). [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Grizzlybet (last edited Jun 25, 2018 11:01AM) (new)

Grizzlybet | 2 comments Hey all!

I read this book around 2008 I think? It is narrated by a young girl, she comes from a not very wealthy family, her father is always trying to start a new business but ends up loosing all the money, which is why his wife wants to divorce him, anyway they are not the best marriage. I think at one point they run a restaurant by the beach but it burns down (?).

There is also a heroine's grandma, and one of the most memorable scenes from the book is when at night during a winter time the grandma (or the mother?) loses her alligator/crocodile skin purse in the middle of the road, and the girl writes something like this must so bizzare for the drivers to see an alligator/a crocodile in the South in the middle of the road during winter...

This is the scene from the book that I remember the most. Tried googling "alligator in the middle of the road in winter book", but no luck ;)

POSSIBLE SPOILER!

I also remember that by the end of the book the heroine, who always wanted to become a model, takes part in an audition or a beauty pagant or something like that.

I also remember it was a pretty funny story. I read it in Polish, but have absolutely no memory of the book's title or author... Does this description ring a bell to anybody? Help please! :)

Tammy Buchli | 41 comments This sounds like Fannie Flagg's first book. It was reissued as Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man; but was originally called Coming Attractions. Funny book.
Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man by Fannie Flagg

message 3: by Grizzlybet (new)

Grizzlybet | 2 comments Yes, that's the book!!!! Thank you so much!!! You just made my day :)