2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE - General > Reading Series

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Simon (new)

Simon Fletcher | 118 comments There used to be a time when I would pick a series and read it from start to finish, book after book. Now though even though I do enjoy reading series I have to read something else between each book.
How does everyone else deal with this?

message 2: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. It's very rare that i marathon a series, most of the time i read other books inbetween.
Usually i read more than one book at once though, so i would just finish one of the other ones I'm currently reading before starting the next book in the series. I can easily push myself into a reading slump if i spend too much time on one series...

message 3: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Since I have a very bad memory I really have to read series start to finish, otherwise I forget what happened in previous installments... The ones I didn’t read start to finish I now have to start over. I usually do have a second book going next to the series one though.

message 4: by Mie (new)

Mie | 2015 comments It depends what kind of series it is..
If they pick up exactly where the previous left off, then I prefer to read them fairly quickly after each other - if not, I am like Susy and forget too much 😉
But in mystery series they can often be read individually, so I tend to spread them out more.

message 5: by Shanna (new)

Shanna I tend to read a series one after the other, especially if I am really into the story. Sometimes I lose interest and take a break, then will take it up again just to see what happens. I am finding myself avoiding series and choosing standalones, because I don't feel like making the commitment!

message 6: by Lynn (last edited Jul 23, 2018 12:09AM) (new)

Lynn | 297 comments I am getting more into standalone books now myself -- simply because it's such a commitment to devote years waiting for a series to be complete. Plus, then I do forget a lot of important details between readings and have to start all over again. It's kind of a bummer, if you think about it.

message 7: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Dlyn wrote: "I am getting more into standalone books now myself -- simply because it's such a commitment to devote years waiting for a series to be complete. Plus, then I do forget a lot of important details be..."

That's why I only start a series when it's complete....I forget too much too...

message 8: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 297 comments Susy wrote: "Dlyn wrote: "I am getting more into standalone books now myself -- simply because it's such a commitment to devote years waiting for a series to be complete. Plus, then I do forget a lot of importa..."

I may have to make that my new rule too: Not to start a series until it's totally complete :)

message 9: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. Susy wrote: "Dlyn wrote: "I am getting more into standalone books now myself -- simply because it's such a commitment to devote years waiting for a series to be complete. Plus, then I do forget a lot of importa..."

I prefer that too. I've broken this rule recently, with both the illuminae files and the shades of magic series, starting a long time before the third book was supposed to come out and i had to reread the first two books in each series...