#HPReadathon2018 discussion

#HPReadathon2018 > OOTP: Umbridge

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Drew (new)

Drew (thataleech) | 40 comments Mod
Why do you think Umbridge is so obsessed with pink, hair bows and cats?
- What do you think her obsession might symbolise?
- How did she come to like these things? Was it something from her childhood? Or something she got into as an adult?

message 2: by Orfeas (new)

Orfeas (orfeassi) | 1 comments I always was under the impression that she stuck with these particular kinds of clothing in order to have an appearance that matches her fake personality. Pink is considered a girly colour, to match her fake girly voice, bow as well, to make her look innocent enough. As for cats, they are cute and aristocratic, they completely suit her fake persona. I think there was no childhood experience or anything that lead her there, everything she does is purely for the looks and to give a false impression.

message 3: by Jem (new)

Jem (fandompatronus) | 8 comments Mod
Oooooh interesting Orfy. I was reading the question and realised I really really don't know. I like Orfy's answer though, she's trying to come across as an overly sweet person. I really don't know if there was something meaningful JKR intended it to mean????

message 4: by Abbie (new)

Abbie Wells | 24 comments I've never thought about Umbridge in great depth, she doesn't deserve it. All I know is that Umbridge is scum and all of her outfits are vile

message 5: by Elisa (new)

Elisa (ravenclaw_patronus) | 29 comments I think Umbridge chooses to wear and be obsessed with pink and cats to hide her true personality. She is really a wicked lady who doesn't like and won't listen to anybody, but by wearing pink and loving cats, she's trying to give off a nice and harmless appearance.