Drop Everything And Read discussion

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante, #1)
Buddy Reads > Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (last edited Jun 23, 2018 08:52AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Hallie (inkyhallie) | 5470 comments Mod
Aristotle is an angry teen with a brother in prison. Dante is a know-it-all who has an unusual way of looking at the world. When the two meet at the swimming pool, they seem to have nothing in common. But as the loners start spending time together, they discover that they share a special friendship—the kind that changes lives and lasts a lifetime. And it is through this friendship that Ari and Dante will learn the most important truths about themselves and the kind of people they want to be.

Buddy read by Marie V and Hallie.

message 2: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new) - rated it 2 stars

I'm done with the first part! It's nice - light and enjoyable, but I'm not very sure where the plot is headed. I'm curious what will happen next, but even then, there is nothing I can particularly look forward to, or something intriguing enough to think about all day. Well, other than what happened to Ari's brother.

I like Ari a lot, though. Albeit I must admit the dialogues between him and Dante seem rather unrealistic. I don't know.... It's nice yet monotonous. Hopefully the story will pick up soon!

What about you? :)

Marie Vr (The Books Of Marie) (marie_vr) | 14 comments Well I do not particularly like or dislike the first part, was pretty normal to me.
The fact that Ari sees all the world back and white and Dante sees the same world all in color is pretty cool, I mean I think they will complement each other.
I don't like that Ari doesn't believe in himself or he thinks that he isn't capable to do something. He is out confidence for sure. That's make me feel bad :(

There are beautiful phrases every where.
Let's start the second part immediately!!

message 4: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new) - rated it 2 stars

I just think that they don't talk/behave like 15 year olds, and are portrayed way too mature for their ages.

That I agree.

I finished the second part, and it was really intriguing! Still think the dialogues are unrealistic, but not all bad.

Marie Vr (The Books Of Marie) (marie_vr) | 14 comments Okay that second part was about the poor Ari dying in fever, and Dante crying for stupid birds (to boring for me)
And yeah as you said the dialogues between Ari and Dante was pretty simple even though Dante is the intellectual of them.
And the final shock me. I alredy knew that something bad is going to happed, but I didn't know what or when could be.

message 6: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new) - rated it 2 stars

I was so worried when he fell sick! I just finished the third part, so when you're done, let me know :)

Marie Vr (The Books Of Marie) (marie_vr) | 14 comments Okay, this one was more of the same thing. All the same irrational hate to people who loves and take care of Ari. The same suffering from nightmares. The same mystery about Ari's brother. The same empty dialogues between Ari and Dante. I couldn't deal with all that scenes from hospital. I couldn't stand tears.
So monotonous, and boring, without any plot.
That was I thought until the last two chapters, those were so beautiful!! I'm fan!! 💕

message 8: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new) - rated it 2 stars

I still thought it was a drag. Hopefully the rest will be better!

Marie Vr (The Books Of Marie) (marie_vr) | 14 comments Fourth part alredy!
Well, I love the letters.
Chapter thirty is my favorite for sure!
All the kiss stuff bother me. I think Ari has this obsession because he was a little bit jealous of Dante.
I like know about Ari's classmates (I don't like they but well...)
The simple/stupid dialogues still bothering me (I NEED A CHANGE NOW!!!)

message 10: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new) - rated it 2 stars

I don't think I share the same liking as you about those letters. I found them rather.... I don't know, they just feel out of place. I agree about the kissing part and the dialogues. I don't like the classmates either, but I think we might get to know more about them.

My concern is where is the plot going???!

Marie Vr (The Books Of Marie) (marie_vr) | 14 comments 6th part! Okay I really enjoy this one.
It's summer again yeah!!
I loved that Dante came back. I liked Legs.
I don't get why Ari was so upset when Dante told Gina and Susie the truth about the accident. Is because Ari think he does not deserve the title of hero or something?
They kissed each other! I was like OH MY GOD
It was so funny when Ari and Dante went to desert, got hight and ran naked beneath the rain. It's like they were children again.
I liked that Ari finally opened with his father. We are very close to know why Ari's brother is in prison, I can not control my own curiosity!

message 12: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new) - rated it 2 stars

I found it boring. Really, really boring.

Marie Vr (The Books Of Marie) (marie_vr) | 14 comments I'm done!
I knew that Bernardo is in prison for murder, I mean what else could be the reason for for go there. So when I reach the point of knowing the real reason, I was like wtf man? You are in prison because you were mad and kill a transvestite. How stupid reason. I didn't like it.

The part when a group beat Dante really broke my heart.  And of course Ari doesn't stay arms crossed, when he found out what happened. I like that.

I like the final simple and easy, cute.
So yeah the book is cute. I got really interested in 5th part and forward.
I think this is a book you should read when you want time past by

message 14: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new) - rated it 2 stars

Same here!

I speculated that, too, and I'm really disappointed. I really wish we had something that would astonish us after all that secrecy. I'm just surprised Ari never even thought of it.

That I agree :)

I thought the ending was rushed and unrealistic. I really had higher hopes for this book, so I'm candidly very disappointed.

Marie Vr (The Books Of Marie) (marie_vr) | 14 comments Yeah that´s pretty obvious, I mean if Ari´s parents does not want to talk about why Bernardo is in prison is beacause hi did something really bad to get there.
My options were kidnapping, murder and attempted raper. And bassing in the context I figure out that murder was the real reason.

Why did you feel the final unrealisti? I thought it was a easy way to end the book (kind of boring)

And I had higher expectatives too, because all the people I know love this book and for me was pretty normal nothing beyond the world

message 16: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sorry I didn't see this.

I was hoping for something along the lines of false accusation, or just basically not this obvious.

I don't know.... It just doesn't fit in.