Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past nominations (closed) > First Ever Series Discussion Topic Selection Complete

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (last edited Jun 23, 2018 08:28AM) (new)

Andrea | 2818 comments A poll to select our First Science Fiction / Fantasy Series discussion topic now open. If you're interested in participating in the discussion of one of our nominees, you can vote here for your choice.

Please vote only if you plan on participating in the discussion of those books. Keep in mind the number of books in the series and the length of each book as we need dedicated readers to keep the discussion going through the entire series.

As this is our first ever series discussion the exact details as to when we start and how often we read a book are still being worked out, at this time the most obvious option seems to be to take the empty "anthology/short story" slot every second month but we can decide after we pick the series.

This poll will be open through Saturday June 30

message 2: by Andrea (last edited Jun 30, 2018 05:06AM) (new)

Andrea | 2818 comments

Reminder: For those who are interested in discussing one of the above nominees with the group, today is the final day to vote for one of our Fantasy or Science Fiction Series group read and discussion

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Darn, doesn't look like there'll be a runoff. :)

message 4: by Andrea (last edited Jul 01, 2018 04:31AM) (new)

Andrea | 2818 comments

Our first ever selected Fantasy or Science Fiction Series discussion topic is...

The First Chronicles of Amber (Books 1-5) by Roger Zelazny by Roger Zelazny

Since we already have an anthology read this month, and the start date is only two weeks away, what if we start next month in the empty anthology slot. At which point since there are 5 books and 5 months we can finish in December and pick a new series at the start of next year. I checked the page count of my copy, even with 5 books in it, it is shorter than a single ASoIaF book so think that's not too heavy a burden. Post here if you have any objections/alternatives to this plan :)

For now, using my amazing Mod powers I'm saying:

The discussion will begin August 11.

Now...just need to figure out how to create a new "series" shelf...I can see how to add a book but not a shelf...

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) I like the reading plan Andrea, and I am in for this series.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I've read the Corwin cycle 3 times and the Merlin cycle twice. It has been over two years since I went back to Amber. Lets do this! I'd love to read it with others and compare notes.

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 51 comments Guess I've got my (UK) summer holiday reading sorted then!

message 9: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie | 7 comments Andrea wrote: "

Our first ever selected Fantasy or Science Fiction Series discussion topic is...

The First Chronicles of Amber (Books 1-5) by Roger Zelazny by Roger Zelazny

Since we already have an antholog..."

I've read this whole series in the past and just love it.... time to read & enjoy it again!

message 10: by Book Nerd (new)

Book Nerd (book_nerd_1) | 154 comments Sounds good. I reread the first maybe thirty pages. It went really quick and came right back to me.

message 11: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2818 comments I have less than 100 pages in a book to finish first and then I'm looking forward to Amber. I read the first book ages ago, I have vague memories of the overall idea, but I never got around to reading the rest so looking forward to it. I won't be finished by the time I open up the thread on Saturday but it's short so I should be a good chunk of the way through. Didn't realize that though it had few pages it also had tiny font :)

message 12: by Roger (new)

Roger Hoping to get to this real soon, was on vacation with the fam and had little time for reading.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The First Chronicles of Amber (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Roger Zelazny (other topics)