Play Book Tag discussion

Julia's Chocolates
This topic is about Julia's Chocolates
Archive: Other Books > Julia's Chocolates by Cathy Lamb

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

ShazM | 389 comments I read this for the Great Summer Read challenge to, perhaps loosely, fit the food category. This is another winner for me, definitely 5 out of 5.

Julia has escaped her abusive fiance right before the wedding by travelling across country to stay with her aunt Lydia. There she becomes friends with three other women, friends of her aunt, and the story is largely about the lives and various problems of the five women. The difficulties they all face are sad, sometimes horrifying, but there is so much humour in this book; from aunt Lydia's chickens and pigs to the regular Psychic Nights the ladies have. Aunt Lydia's exhortations to all of them to listen to their breasts and to take care of their vaginas are just so funny I was laughing aloud several times.

To sum up, this book is equal parts funny, sad and touching and well worth a read.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6389 comments Oh, and I really hated this one. But I'm clearly in the minority because the average rating is 3.83, so there are a lot of fans out there.

ShazM | 389 comments I did read one review which said that the best part of the book was the opening sentence about leaving her wedding dress hanging in a tree! I decided to try it anyway and I'm so glad I did. Which only goes to show that we all like different things and thank goodness for that!

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6389 comments Yes ... I love our differences and am always willing to try a genre/tag I haven't tried before.