Victorians! discussion

Quirky Questions > QQ: What is your Summer Reading style?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee, Moderator (new)

Renee M | 1996 comments Mod
I suppose the question should start with: “Is your reading style different in the summer?”
I know readers who only choose “light” reading during the summer... with “light” defined as romance or cozy mysteries or humorous memoirs, depending on the person. While a few others save their chewier reads for the vacation. So... with summer upon us: What do you like to read during the summer months?

message 2: by Renee, Moderator (last edited Mar 06, 2021 01:46PM) (new)

That is definitely on my TBR! I can imagine that Dorothy Dunnett has a blast with the Macbeth storyline. One of my favorite plays!

message 3: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 217 comments I plan on finally starting the Gormenghast trilogy, and tackling books that I have been meaning to read for a long time.

message 4: by Renee, Moderator (new)

I look forward to hearing your thoughts, Rosemarie. I’ve only read the first.

message 5: by Beth (last edited Jun 24, 2018 10:36AM) (new)

Beth | 13 comments It's so hot and humid where I live that I ignore the weather and enjoy reads that I associate with the autumn. Historical novels and mysteries set in the Victorian era are my favorites. Tomorrow I'm picking up The Woman in the Water (Charles Lenox Mysteries 0) by Charles Finch set in 1850 at the library. I've never read the series so I thought I would start with this 2018 prequel.

message 6: by Louise (new)

Louise Culmer | 46 comments most of the books I read are fairly light whatever the time of year. I don't do much heavy reading. I suppose some of the non fiction I read could be described as medium weight rather than heavy, but the fiction I enjoy is mostly on the light side, whodunnits, humorous books etc.

message 7: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Not much different from my other seasons, except the weather is nicer so I can read on the back patio.

message 8: by Robin (new)

Robin | 162 comments What an interesting question, and the answers are similar. Before Covid I would be on a 24 hour flight around this time of the year, and would intersperse light reading with films (and meals and drink!) Oh, some sleep.

On a train trip across America a few years ago I managed to read Possession, which I had begun so many times at home. I loved it.

I try to read something a bit more serious, one of the reasons I join in Goodreads challenges, but having spent so many years studying and writing theses I adore a self indulgent read, so almost anything goes.

I think that rather than weather dictating my reading, mood does. And if I can't sleep a few pages of lovely Maeve Binchy sends me off. Not because she is boring, but her work is so comforting.

message 9: by Brian (new)

Brian Fagan | 60 comments I don't change my reading for the summer, but I actually do in December every year. Starting about 30 years ago, I read books pretty much on a rotational basis, mostly the classics and favorite contemporary writers. Which meant that after reading a favorite writer, I might not get back to another of his books for a couple of years. I decided to treat myself to a break from the rotation during the Advent season every year, and read all my favorite writers.

message 10: by Renee, Moderator (new)

Brian wrote: "I don't change my reading for the summer, but I actually do in December every year. Starting about 30 years ago, I read books pretty much on a rotational basis, mostly the classics and favorite con..."

It's nice to break the cycle sometimes. :)
Although I admire your system.

message 11: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 217 comments I usually devote December to fun reads, or seasonal stories.

message 12: by Brian (new)

Brian Fagan | 60 comments I do too, Rosemarie! For many years now, when we get to December, I abandon my usual rotation of books, and just pick from my favorite authors.

message 13: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 217 comments I usually read or reread vintage children's books-nothing serious!

message 14: by Brian (new)

Brian Fagan | 60 comments Fun.

message 15: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 13 comments When I have time, after taking care of the yardwork, I enjoy sitting on the porch with a glass of iced tea and a good book in hand. I don't really change the type of books I read in the Summer, but when it gets very hot and humid I sometimes read a book set during the Christmas season...it helps make me feel cooler!

message 16: by Renee, Moderator (new)

Lol! My dad used to suggest that sort of thing all the time! To think about hot things when cold and cold things when hot.

message 17: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 13 comments Renee wrote: "Lol! My dad used to suggest that sort of thing all the time! To think about hot things when cold and cold things when hot."

Scientists say that drinking a hot beverage on a hot day actually makes your body cooler. It supposedly evaporates perspiration more quickly than a cold drink would. If it's really humid, it doesn't work though, so I still like my tea iced in the summer. I prefer to do my own scientific research with ice cubes and a slice of lemon! I slice my lemons all at once, lay them in single layers on a cookie tray, then freeze them. Once they're frozen, I put them in a ziploc bag and keep them frozen. The slices stay separated and I always have lemons for my tea that way!👍🍋🙂

message 18: by Renee, Moderator (new)

I love that idea!

message 19: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 13 comments Renee wrote: "I love that idea!"

I forgot to mention that I place the lemon slices between sheets of waxed paper on the cookie tray while freezing them. That protects the lemons from drying out. It also allows you to add several layers of lemon slices if you want to freeze more. Just be sure to always cover the top layer of lemons with waxed paper, too. Once the lemons are frozen, just toss the paper away and then place the frozen lemons in the plastic bag. I've frozen about 8 lemons at a time that way.😊

message 20: by Renee, Moderator (new)

Nice! Thank you. Just out of curiosity... Have you ever tried sprinkling the lemons with a little sugar before freezing?

message 21: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 13 comments Sadly, I'm an insulin dependent diabetic (4 injections per day) with kidney failure, so sugar is not an option for me. It surely sounds yummy, though!😀