Hugo & Nebula Awards: Best Novels discussion

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bryan, Village Idiot (last edited Jul 26, 2018 08:00AM) (new)

Bryan | 480 comments Mod
ENCs or "Enhanced Nomination Credits", can be traded to bypass a poll. In other words, after earning one ENC the member can use their credit to bypass the voting of any book that is featured in the Monthly Read poll. Your Enhanced Nomination Credit will secure any title you voted for as our Monthly Read.

- Only one ENC may be used month.
- First member to state they are using one, will be the ENC we use that month.

An Example:
If we have 5 books that have been nominated to read for the month and someone wants to read Book A, then they can use one (1) of their ENCs to lock Book A as one of the two books we will be reading for that month. Books B, C, D, and E will still be voted on as normal.

message 2: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (last edited Apr 11, 2020 06:50AM) (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Will keep an updated list of all the group's credits.

=== === === === ===

Current ENC holders are:

Allan - 1 (2 + 2/4)
Antti - 1/4
Art - 0 [7]
Bryan - 1
David - 1
Jason - 1 + 2/4
Jeanette - 1/4
Kateblue - 2 [8]
Katherine - 1/4
Oleksandr - 4 [7 + 2/4]
Rebecca - 1 + 3/4
Robin - 3
Viktor - 2 + 0/4
William G. - 1
Yvonne - 1

=== === === === ===

message 3: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Will answer your question here, Kate.

The first person who claims the use of ENC will be the one's we will be going with. If someone is interested in a certain book and wants to not only read it asap but also to hear the discussions our members bring to the table, then it is in their interest to bypass the voting stage.

There is another instance where I can see ENC use and the urgency of claiming one. Some of the titles just don't get the votes and they simply keep sitting on a bookshelf, awaiting their turn.

message 4: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
These ENCs might come handy for our December nominations, we've got something special in store for the end of the year.

message 5: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Updated the ENCs, way to go with clearimg the challenge, Oleksandr!

message 6: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
If anybody has a question regarding ENCs and how they are used, feel free to ask. December will feature some pretty exciting nominations so people with ENCs might be inclined to use them.

message 7: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (last edited Mar 22, 2019 09:03PM) (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
*UPDATED*

Myself and Bryan(in our infinite wisdom!) have decided to forfeit any ENC rewards from contests and challenges, so we've agreed to award all moderators an ENC in the end of every year of being of service to this group.

Woot, I've got an ENC and a creeping suspicion that I would not do all too well on the Marshmallow Test!

message 8: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Kateblue | 4060 comments Mod
I've got some ENC's and I would like to collect them just as a count of how many challenges I have met. But I have no problem with never using them because I am a moderator.

message 9: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Kateblue wrote: "I've got some ENC's and I would like to collect them just as a count of how many challenges I have met. But I have no problem with never using them because I am a moderator."

Sure thing, I can keep track of all ENCs earned by moderators in brackets. Still, you have an already existing ENC which you can use. I know I will use mine, most likely sooner than later.

message 10: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Kateblue | 4060 comments Mod
I thought I had more than one. Not?

message 11: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
My bad, never realised you cleared the 2001 challenge. Updated.

message 12: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Updated ENC count with WorldCon 2019 challenge results.

message 13: by Allan (new)

Allan Phillips | 2345 comments Mod
Art, can you re-post, please? Link not working.

message 14: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Allan wrote: "Art, can you re-post, please? Link not working."

Oh, it wasn't a link, sorry. I meant that I updated my original post with how many ENCs everyone's earned during the WorldCon challenge.

message 15: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (last edited Mar 31, 2019 08:13PM) (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Updated OP with results of the Dune Chronicle challenge:

Antti - 1
Oleksandr - [2]
Viktor - 1
Art - [2]

Thanks everyone for participating and congrats to Antti and Victor on getting their first ENCs!

message 16: by Antti (last edited Apr 01, 2019 03:53AM) (new)

Antti Värtö (andekn) | 849 comments Mod
Woo-hoo!

Incidentally, now would probably be a good time to admit I'm not sure how one spends an ENC: do I send a private message, comment on the poll or is there some other procedure?

message 17: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new)

Bryan | 480 comments Mod
Antti wrote: "Woo-hoo!

Incidentally, now would probably be a good time to admit I'm not sure how one spends an ENC: do I send a private message, comment on the poll or is there some other procedure?"

I would say that a PM would be the easiest way to use your ENC, congrats on getting by the way. We only allow one ENC used a month from the entire group. So if you PM us, then we will take the first one we received. Clear as mud?

message 18: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Antti wrote: "Woo-hoo!

Incidentally, now would probably be a good time to admit I'm not sure how one spends an ENC: do I send a private message, comment on the poll or is there some other procedure?"

I'd say you can do whatever works for you best, even if you leave a comment in the appropriate poll there is a fair chance that any of four moderators will spot it and close the poll for further votes.
PMs work just as well, so you can just hit either of us and we will announce it on the poll comment board.

message 19: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (last edited Apr 19, 2019 01:20PM) (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Upon conferring with other moderators of this group we've come to a conclusion that ENCs can be gifted by one member to another.

Now that I think on it, "conferring" and "conclusion" are words too grand to describe the actual "proceedings" in question. It went more or less like this:

A: Guys, think we should let members gift their ENCs to one another?

B: Yup

C: Uh-huh

A: A'ight

-=Fin=-

message 20: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (last edited May 22, 2019 05:22PM) (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Congratulations David and Yvonne on getting your first ENCs, feel free to ask questions if you want to know more details on how ENCs are used.

message 21: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
I saw Oleksandr making it formal in one of the posts, a few challenges back and the clarity of it deserves a mention in the ENC thread.

*UPDATE*

Members will recieve an ENC for every four books read that are featured in our official challenges.
I will keep the list updated with every member's progress and send out a message once they earn an ENC.

message 22: by Allan (new)

Allan Phillips | 2345 comments Mod
Am I correct that it longer applies to moderators?

message 23: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Allan wrote: "Am I correct that it longer applies to moderators?"

You have one from before you became a mod so you can use it freely. Also I will keep marking all the ENCs you earn, the same way I did it for Kate, Z, Bryan and myself. I think every mod can decide for themselves how to use it. I was thinking of trading my earned "mod" ENCs for the usable ones at a 10:1 ratio if nobody would mind, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Also I'll double check everyone's participation in challenges tomorrow so that nobody loses any progress on their ENCs earned.

message 24: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Updated the list.
Congrats Viktor and Jason, you've both earned a point each.