The YA Book Club discussion

Book Recommendations > Cassandra Clare

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emilie (new)

Emilie Hi Everyone!!!
This might be a bit weird to some of you but I have NOT read one of Cassandra Clare’s novels yet. I’m a bit stuck on which series to read first: The mortal instruments, the dark artifices, or the infernal devices?
Pls reply <3 Emilie

message 2: by Stefani (new)

Stefani Crook (bookwormstefani) | 16 comments Well, I haven't read any of her books either. However, I would suggest The Mortal Instruments. I've been wanting to read them. I just haven't gotten around to it. I heard that they're really good. Hope this helps!

message 3: by Lina (new)

Lina | 539 comments Start with The Mortal Instruments, that is the begining of everything. When you read this series, you will understand the other ones better because they all are connected to each other, they are in the same world.

message 4: by Lina (new)

Lina | 539 comments This is the order of how the book series go: The Mortal Instruments, The Infernal Devices, The Dark Artifices. That way you won't get confused.

message 5: by Emilie (new)

Emilie Thank u <3

message 6: by Kirsche (new)

Kirsche Weatherford | 14 comments I actually suggest reading the books in publication date order. That is the best way to me because so many of the plot lines intertwine together.

message 7: by Keanna (new)

Keanna (keannaluna) Reading in publication order will help you not get spoiled and is also the most recommended order of reading them! There's a video by EmmmaBooks on YouTube where she explains how to read the series so watching that might help!

message 8: by hannah (new)

hannah (hannahgi1es) Annie♡ wrote: "Reading in publication order will help you not get spoiled and is also the most recommended order of reading them! There's a video by EmmmaBooks on YouTube where she explains how to read the series..."

I read The Mortal Instruments first because I hadn’t seen EmmmaBooks’s video yet, and did feel that City of Heavenly Fire did ruin Clockwork Princess for me a little bit, but it wasn’t fatal. So I think publication order is probably the safest option (or you could read The Mortal Instruments up until City of Glass and then read The Infernal Devices before finishing The Mortal Instruments, I think that would work...?) but if you prefer to read an entire series before starting another and you don’t mind a few spoilers, you can start with The Mortal Instruments. Also, EmmmaBooks’s video is extremely helpful as she covers all the different ways you can read the books, so I also recommend watching that. Hope this helps!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Mortal Instruments definitely

message 10: by Isla_Herondale (new)

Isla_Herondale | 23 comments i read the infernal devices first because they were earlier in time

message 11: by Amna (new)

Amna Alvi (amnaaalvi) | 29 comments YES the mortal instruments fifth book ruins the infernal devices last book and so i recommend going either by publication order, or my order which is guranteed no to ruin or spoil anything:
City of bones (mortal instruments book 1)
City of Ashes (mortal instrument book 2)
City of Glass (mortal instruments book 3)
Clockwork Angel (Infernal devices book 1)
Clockwork Prince (Infernal devices book 2)
Clockwork Princess (infernal devices book 3 which is last book)
City of Fallen Angels (mortal instruments book 4)
City of Lost Souls (mortal instruments book 5)
City of Heavenly Fire (mortal instruments book 6 which is last book)
Shadowhunter Academy (stand alone novel about Simon after the previous book)
The Bane Chronicles (A collection of stories about Magnus Bane)
The Ghosts of Shadow Market (this is a collection of novellas from different perspectives such as Jace as a kid, Jem's POV and Anna Lightwood)
Lady Midnight (Dark artifices book 1)
Lord of Shadows (Dark Artifices book 2)
Queen of Air and Darkness (Dark Artifices book 3)
A new book is also coming out called Chain of Gold, which is gonna be a series set after the Infernal devices series.

Happy reading!

message 12: by Isla_Herondale (new)

Isla_Herondale | 23 comments that is a very interesting order of the books, although I do understand your logic