Great American Read List discussion

Reading and Associated Themes > How Many Books Do You Read at a Time?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jun 21, 2018 06:54PM) (new)

Lavan Zerach | 498 comments Mod
Prior to this year, I almost always read one book at a time. I worried that it would be too difficult to keep multiple books straight in my mind and that I wouldn't fully appreciate them if my attention was split.

That changed this year. In February I started reading Cecilia, or Memoirs of an Heiress by Fanny Burney which is 2450 pages long. I knew that it would take me several weeks to finish so I decided to read a second novel at the same time, mainly because I was trying to finish one book per week. Not only did I realize that it wasn't a problem to follow both story lines, but I think I enjoyed Cecilia moreso because I didn't rush and truly looked forward to returning to it each day.

Since then, I haven't hesitated to read multiple books at once. I've had as many as four on my current-reading shelf; each of which I was reading for an hour daily and following with ease.

At the moment, I'm reading three:
A Clash of Kings—A Song of Ice and Fire #2 by George R.R. Martin (for this group)
Doctor Faustus: The Life of the German Composer Adrian Leverkühn as Told by a Friend by Thomas Mann (for another group)
The Siren—The Original Sinners #1 by Tiffany Reisz (recommended by a friend)

Do you read one book at a time, two or more? Please share!

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Albright | 14 comments So i think there are 5 books listed as currently reading for me right now. Not all of those are consistently read though. I usually have an audiobook , "regular book"-usually fiction. The rest listed might be a True crime/self-help/other nonfiction that I visit every now and again when I'm tired of the others or maybe a comic book.

message 3: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jun 23, 2018 12:04PM) (new)

Amanda wrote: "So i think there are 5 books listed as currently reading for me right now. Not all of those are consistently read though. I usually have an audiobook , "regular book"-usually fiction. The rest list..."

Wow, five!
I have noticed that having books of various genres helps and differing levels of intensity. Right now, Doctor Faustus is my challenging read. Mann's vocabulary was extensive and his writing style, while at times beautiful, is complex and drawn-out. It takes total concentration on my part to absorb and retain his prose, so I limit it to 1-2 hours per day. That's when switching to something lighter is beneficial. It gives my mind a break, but I can still continue reading. Win-win.

message 4: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 123 comments I usually have an audio book, an on-the-go book I keep in my purse or on my phone, an at school book (usually YA), a nonfiction, and a fiction book. Occasionally, I'll have a few extra going on if one of the above gets too slow. I may have a problem :)

message 5: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jul 09, 2018 07:44AM) (new)

Bethany wrote: "I usually have an audio book, an on-the-go book I keep in my purse or on my phone, an at school book (usually YA), a nonfiction, and a fiction book. Occasionally, I'll have a few extra going on if ..."

Your statement: "I may have a problem :) " made me smile.
It's a good "problem" to have, Bethany!

message 6: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I usually have 2-4 books going at a time. Before GRs it was generally 1 at a time, now i'm just trying to keep up with all the amazing reads out there. haha