EPBOT Readers discussion

Reading Challenges 2018 > Week 25 Check In

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 895 comments Mod
Hi Everyone!

Where did this year go? Can't believe it's already week 25, and late June!

Had a bit of a slow reading week this week, due to long sticky books that were hard to wade through. Also was a busy weekend involving going to Ann Arbor to do a FoE Mi-Bots meet up at a Comic Arts Fest. It was a lot of fun!

I finally finished Too Like the Lightning which was a bit frustrating. It took forever, didn't count for a challenge, AND it ended with a "this was part one, part two is the next book". So not even a "resolution of the current arc" type ending. I've been on the fence as to whether I like it or not, and was saving my final opinion for how it finished up, but it didn't really finish. My library doesn't even have book 2, at least not digitally! So pretty frustrating.

I started We Were Eight Years in Power: An American Tragedy which is another long, slow read. It's also an incredibly difficult one, but so important. It's utterly depressing to read, especially given current events in America, but I think it's crucial to understand just how much white supremacy is built into our nation from the very foundation of the country. I'm about halfway though, and it's my book of social science for Read Harder.

To help cut through some of that, I'm listening to the audio book for Grave Peril which is read by James Marsters who does a great job bringing Harry to life.

I'm also working through my giant The Complete Girls with Slingshots that I just got. This book is so beautiful. Huge hardcovers, bound in linen with pink shiny embossing, ribbon bookmarks, linen covered embossed case to keep the volumes together.

How's everyone's reading going?

QOTW:

What is your favorite place to read?

I like being curled up in my big lazy boy recliner. I'll read other places, but that's my favorite. If it's summer, I do enjoy setting up the hammock in the shade and taking a book out for a while.

message 2: by Stephanie (last edited Jun 22, 2018 07:05AM) (new)

Stephanie | 207 comments Mod
Hello All,

I, too, am having a slow reading week, but still faster than the last two weeks, so that's something! I'm trying to carve a bit more time to read out of my busy schedule so that my current book, Middlesex, doesn't take a month to get through!

This is the only thing I'm reading at the moment, and I'm really, really enjoying it. One of my favourite books is Midnight's Children, in part because of the narrative style, and this book reminds me very much of that style, with its element of omniscient, but unreliable, 1st person narration, and the way it uses the deeply personal story of the main character to symbolize (quite consciously) the larger scope of national events--in this case, the rise and "fall" of Detroit and its associated history of the auto industry and racism through the 1920-to I'm guessing the late 1990s--I'm only in the early 1970s now. This is the Popsugar choice for the June read and the LQBQT+ protagonist prompt. I'm so glad that the challenge brought this book to my attention. I'm about 55% through it and having a hard time putting it down.

For the question of the week: My favourite place to read is on the patio couch in our back yard, preferably with Mjølnir snuggled up with me. If the weather doesn't cooperate, then the couch in our living room is my second choice, again, with Mjølnir for company. I posted a picture of this yesterday in the FB group--she was "helping" me read by keeping the book open with her body, heh.

message 3: by Daniele (new)

Daniele Powell (danielepowell) | 170 comments Sheri wrote: "(...) bit of a slow reading week this week, due to long sticky books that were hard to wade through. "

What wonderful way of putting it! I'm still on the rebound from my last long sticky book, so I'm reading quick and/or captivating - as long as it fills a prompt!

I finished up The Princess Diarist on audiobook. I love her voice, and I'll admit my attention wasn't quite as rapt in the middle bits that weren't read by her, even if it was her daughter Billie Lourd. That filled advanced #10, recommended by someone else doing the challenge.

Next up was an ebook I picked up for free through BookBub, The Last Librarian. That ticked off #39, involving a bookstore or library. I had a few issues that were more technical in nature than story-related. This is also book 1 in a series, so the resolution is only partial. I might be tempted to read more.

I am now really resuming reading Neverwhere, which I only got a few chapters in before it got swallowed in the Satanic Verses tsunami. After that should be The Painted Girls.

QOTW: I'm pretty easy to accommodate, location wise, but propped up in bed, or a cozy recliner, or a summer hammock are all excellent choices. Particularly if there's a floof napping nearby.

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan LoVerso | 321 comments I was on a family reunion vacation last week at a lake with perfect weather, no laptop and limited, weak cell service. I didn't want to come home!

But while there I managed to finish up The Last Equation of Isaac Severy. It was good for a freshman novel. It was the first one that I read so far of my Book of the Month club selections that was a Christmas gift from my daughter. It was a light mystery and was good after many recent non-fiction books.

I'm away on a business trip so I'll start one of the other two BotM books when I get home tomorrow.

Q: I almost always read in bed. Sometimes, but rarely, during the day out on a chair on the porch or something but really, I am a before-bed reader.