Gothicked (Gothic Novel Lovers) discussion

General > Favorite Gothic Theme/Plot in a Book/Movie?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (shipper) | 48 comments What is your favorite gothic story or plot to read or watch? My very favorite is of Haunted Castles/Mansions, and also those with Satanic cult themes. (Alot of the novels published in the 70's and 80's were with Rosemary's Baby type themes).
I also loved the plots about the main character arrives as a Governess or as a Librarian or Secretary and is involved in a ghost story or survives multiple gothic typed murder or being driven insane attempts.

I do not like the modern so-called-gothics involving Twilight shape shifter characters!

You?

message 2: by Joanna (new)

Joanna McKethan | 10 comments I’m with you in liking the types you mentioned.

message 3: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 117 comments Well, I love the Castles/Mansions of course! You have to have that great atmospheric setting and I love it most when they take place in Britain on the Moors or in Cornwall or just the English countryside anyway. I think I also prefer the older setting (1800's) to modern stories but I've read both that I enjoyed. I love it when there is some sort of ghostly legend involved in the story, but I'm not really into the occult themes. In most of my favorite stories the 'legend' is just that and nothing else. It just adds to the mystery and atmosphere. I do love the Governess/Housekeeper theme or when the main heroine inherits the castle with the strange relatives. I'm reading a great one right now like that. I would agree about the 'modern' Gothics. I am not into vampires at all. I've actually found very few new Gothic authors that I like so I tend to mostly read the older books.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (shipper) | 48 comments Great themes, you guys! I also dearly love the ones that are very detailed in what dresses/gowns they wear and all their meals eaten.

message 5: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 117 comments Oh yes! I love all the little details about the clothing and meals as well! Just the descriptions of their day to day activities can be so interesting. I'm reading one now that takes place in the English countryside and there is a huge maze on the grounds and of course, a ghostly legend about a woman who was murdered in the maze and her ghost now haunts it. I love that sort of mystery! :-D

message 6: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie | 32 comments Which book is that, Marilyn? It sounds familiar.

message 7: by Skye (new)

Skye | 459 comments Yes, I like the castles, mansions, graveyards, and the brooding male character; almost sinister...I like the idea of the English or Irish countryside that is hidden away, and as Marilyn mentioned the notion of a ghost or something 'other wordly.'

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (shipper) | 48 comments Marilyn, what is the name of that book you are reading? Sounds deliciously shivery!

message 9: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 117 comments The book I am reading is 'The Woman in the Maze' by Maeva Park Dobner. I'm a little over halfway through it and enjoying it very much!

message 10: by Skye (new)

Skye | 459 comments It sounds wonderful, Marilyn; I am going to search for it.

message 11: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie | 32 comments Me too, that one looks good. Thanks.

message 12: by Renee (new)

Renee Ross (reneeross) | 84 comments My favorite Gothic plot is when the young bride is brought to her new husband's ancestral manor and is filled with constant foreboding because the mansion is creepy as are most of the inhabitants who will stop at nothing to keep her from knowing their sinister family secrets.

message 13: by C. (last edited Jun 27, 2018 10:15AM) (new)

C. | 1 comments I do love the mansions/castles, but I also love inherited or recently purchased haunted house/farm.

My favorite film of this type, and IMOthe most perfect horror film ever made is~ Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark with Kim Darby, not the modern crap remake!

It traumatized a generation of children who watched it when too young,lol!
https://www.amazon.com/Dont-Afraid-Da...

message 14: by Skye (new)

Skye | 459 comments Renee wrote: "My favorite Gothic plot is when the young bride is brought to her new husband's ancestral manor and is filled with constant foreboding because the mansion is creepy as are most of the inhabitants w..."

Yes, I agree, Renee!

message 15: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie | 32 comments Yes, that's one of my favorites, too.

message 16: by Skye (new)

Skye | 459 comments Hi Everyone:

Renee Ross just launched a new book; her web site is reneerossbooks.com
Renee Ross

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Renee Ross (other topics)