Beta Reader Group discussion

Covers, Blurbs, 1st Line, Query > YA Fantasy summary/synopsis help

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aaron (new)

Aaron | 5 comments Trying to write a synopsis/summary for the back of the book/amazon publishing and don't know what to highlight and not to highlight anymore. It's a YA fantasy

I had this before:

Titus hates magic and with good reason.

Born into a murderous family more interested in magic power than properly raising a child. Magic has taken nearly everything from Titus. But, after cheating the lords of the Dreamlands out of the power to return to his body and banishing the entity possessing his body, Titus finally gets the chance to have the normal life he always wanted. That is, until an unknown classmate decides to visit him.

When Tess visits the Fogg estate at the behest of her mother, she meets Titus’ uncle, a possibly immortal being, finds a book that allows her to see the Wyrd and magic. At first Tess is excited to be a part of the world she had never seen, but after an unknown assailant kills one of her friends using magic and steals a book that enabling them to summon more horrible creatures to the common world, she starts to see the dangers that Titus had long warned about.

In the end, Titus and Tess must solve the case of The Summoner with the help, and hindrance, of both Cerberus, the occult branch of the government who believes Titus to be a killer, and Shade, the often perverted entity that lives in Titus’s shadow, before more lives are lost.

Rewrote it to :

If you were the only person who could see magic, does that make you special or insane?

Arkham High School freshman, Tess, never really considered the question, or even whether nor not magic existed before she opened the wrong book in her creepy new classmates house. Now, strange creatures, the strange boy named Titus, calls the Wyrd have invaded her normal life.

Despite Titus's warnings, Tess is excited to be a part of the strange new world, until someone kills one of her friends using magic and steals a book letting them summon horrible creatures into the world.

Titus may not like magic but Tess will need his help, to solve who the killer is, before the occult branch of the government tries to pin the murders on Titus because of his dark past.

Is this better or worse? Anyone have suggestions for how to write a good synopsis/summary (in general)? What strikes you as needing highlighted?

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily Lewis | 6 comments It depends on the novel. Book summaries don't necessary need to explain the plot, some just introduce the main character. Here is a quick guide,
introduce main character/s, introduce main conflict, hook the reader.
If you want some more help, shoot me a message.

message 3: by Aaron (new)

Aaron | 5 comments Thanks Emily! I'm still trying to redo it again, I'll send it to you when I get done and see what you think.