The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) The Name of the Wind discussion

New Fantasy Reader

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kevin (new) - added it

Kevin Oberman Hey guys,

I don't usually read fantasy books but a friend strongly recommended this book to me so I decided to give it a chance. Just ordered it the other day. Does anybody have any thoughts on this book?

Alexis I was also not a huge fantasy reader when a friend of mine recommended this book to me. . . I was not crazy about it. Parts of the plot are very cool and at times the characters are captivating but I have read a lot of fantasy since then and overall this book would not rate very highly on my lists.

message 3: by Kevin (new) - added it

Kevin Oberman Hm, thanks! Could you recommend a fantasy book to read for someone like myself who has not read fantasy often?

message 4: by Ivan (last edited Aug 01, 2014 01:43PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ivan This book actually got me into fantasy genre.I still think book is fantastic.It's beautiful coming of age story with lot of pathos and it's great book to start from.

My second recomendation for starter would be Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson or Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

If you are into dark and gritty fantasy than check Peter V. Brett, Steven Erikson or Joe Abercrombie(seriously check them they are great)

message 5: by TheBohemianBookworm (last edited Aug 01, 2014 03:28PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

TheBohemianBookworm I am a HUGE fantasy buff! I realize that many of these series are popular but they deserve to be. My favorites and the best in my opinion are Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and Game of Thrones if you're older, (I don't know your age and these are not appropriate for everyone.)

message 6: by TheBohemianBookworm (last edited Apr 26, 2015 03:51PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

TheBohemianBookworm This book btw was really good.

☆Ruth☆ I love fantasy and thoroughly enjoyed The Name of the Wind. I would also recommend Dragons of Autumn Twilight and/or Eragon. (Lots of dwarves, elves and dragons!)

Renee E The people who I've turned onto the books who have loved them the most weren't fantasy readers, several had never even been interested in picking one up, and understandably so, and they were primarily literary fiction readers, several with a side of mysteries.

Tim The Enchanter I really enjoyed it. I have read very little fantasy but this one really worked for me!

Alexis Kevin wrote: "Hm, thanks! Could you recommend a fantasy book to read for someone like myself who has not read fantasy often?"

Game of Thrones starts out as more of a historical fiction type of read and slowly eases into being a fantasy - it was the book which caused me to start reading fantasy again.

Renee E There are so many sub-genres of fantasy, so the type of books you usually like have some bearing on what kind of fantasy might appeal to you.

message 12: by CeeCee (new)

CeeCee James I was going to suggest NeverWhere by Neil Gaiman (most of his books are amazing) but I'm not sure what type of fantasy you like.

Brandon I second Brandon Sanderson. He is turning into my favorite fantasy author. Elantris, Mistborn, Way of Kings

Also, if you like Stephen King (looked at your "read" list), you should try the Dark Tower series

message 14: by Marc (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marc Stanley I started out with the Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms books, and continue to read many of those authors...quick, fun and more traditional fantasy...I'd also concur with the others that Scott Lynch, Brandon Sanderson, Joe Ambercrombie, Peter Brett, Brent Weeks, Patrick Rothfuss...and definitely the Dark Tower Series...Robin Hobb is a strong story teller as well...there are many decorated and entertaining authors in the Genre right now...Mark Lawrence as well...if you like anti-heroes.

message 15: by Marc (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marc Jones Marc wrote: "I started out with the Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms books, and continue to read many of those authors...quick, fun and more traditional fantasy...I'd also concur with the others that Scott Lync..."

Basically everthing on Marcs list...but Anthony Ryan, Django Wexler and Brian McClellan are great rising stars if you like your fantasy a bit more raw and gritty.
And if you like your fantasy with a helping of humour why not try the discworld series.

message 16: by Kevin (new) - added it

Kevin Oberman Thanks everyone, this has been really helpful!

Vince Cerone I started with Assassins Apprentice by Robin Hobb, loved that book and all her other Farseer books. I highly recommend.

message 18: by Yvette (last edited Sep 16, 2014 10:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yvette Kevin wrote: "Hm, thanks! Could you recommend a fantasy book to read for someone like myself who has not read fantasy often?"
If you're new to fantasy and don't want to start on the really long series like WOT by Jordan or Game of thrones, start out with Raymond Feist's Magician etc. He limits his series to trilogies although once hooked, you'll end up reading an easy dozen or more....

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

The Kingkiller Chronicle is very poetic, a lot happens, it has a really great framework and it has a really great fairy tale tone to it with a darker, underlying tone. Most of all, pay attention. Pay a lot of attention and don't ever think that any word in these books isn't important.

Julia Kevin wrote: "Hey guys,

I don't usually read fantasy books but a friend strongly recommended this book to me so I decided to give it a chance. Just ordered it the other day. Does anybody have any thoughts on th..."

Just one: You already ordered it, you might as well read it. Beyond this point, other people's opinions are only going to cloud your expectations going in.

I hope you enjoy it.

Julie Jones Ivan wrote: "This book actually got me into fantasy genre.I still think book is fantastic.It's beautiful coming of age story with lot of pathos and it's great book to start from.

My second recomendation for st..."

The Gentlemen Bastards series is awesome! I read "The Lies of Locke Lamora" earlier this year and just finished "Red Seas Under Red Skies" a couple months ago. Can't wait to pick up the next one!

Damethu I agree with Julia: the one book that will hook you will be the best.

And CeeCee wrote something important: the type of fantasy.
I would recommand that if you didn't appreciate that first book, seek another fantasy book of a different type...

Vincent Riddle I'm glad Yvette mentioned Raymond Feist's Magician, because I'd nearly forgotten how much I enjoyed that book years ago. Great recommendation.

David Although this book is well-written and in many ways stands on it's own merits, a knowledge of fantasy literature would be helpful, since part of the point of these is to be a self-serious parody/deconstruction of fantasy tropes. The main character is good at everything he tries to do, and is essentially a parody of the typical "overly talented" fantasy hero, but to the nth degree. A lot of people seem to take the books and the character at face value and are disappointed that they are reading about a character who's perfect and has no major flaws or shortcomings, not understanding that it's the entire point of the series.