2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Crown of Midnight > Question D

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Celaena's character evolves a great deal during the story. At the beginning, she is still the arrogant braggart preoccupied with appearances and her own selfish needs. However, by the end she is a completely different person.

What facilitated this change? What do you think of the person that Celaena is becoming?

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 194 comments I have always liked Celaena regardless of her downfalls. The new Celaena is a pleasant improvement. She's finally starting to see things from an adult perspective. I think Nehemia's friendship and death may have played a big part in the change.

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Celaena is definitely growing on me. She is finally maturing and I agree that Nehemia's death had a profound effect on her. She finally realizes that her role in the bigger picture is more important than her own desires.

I also like the fact that she is finally acting like an assassin rather than a child playing at being one.

message 4: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7660 comments Mod
Celaena’s evolution was profound in this story. Nehemia had the biggest impact, moving her with her deep commitment to her people and her dream for a better life. Chaol also factors greatly as he was her love and broke her heart. It’s not a good impact but one that had her grow up in an instant.

She’s sort of tragic in a way. That evening she had dinner with Dorian and said she had nowhere else to go was heartbreaking. Nehemia and Chaol gave her life meaning. The loss was immeasurable.

Though I hate how she got there, I like the woman she’s becoming. And, she’s truly an assassin in my mind now. And one with a life or death mission. She’s no longer a “coward” or afraid to die. Shedding all those superficial items marked her transformation.

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Jonetta wrote: "That evening she had dinner with Dorian and said she had nowhere else to go was heartbreaking. "

Yes, it was. I'm really beginning to appreciate Celaena more now as a person.

message 6: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7660 comments Mod
Me, too.

message 7: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 193 comments Yes, I am really liking Celaena too. I think when Nehemia died it made her not so arrogant. I also felt sorry for her when she told Dorian she had no where to go. She doesnt seem to be so selfish either. She doesnt give up and she is so brave. She has gone through so many trials. I really love her character now and I think thats why I loved the book so much.

I will be answering the other questions tomorrow.

message 8: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 83 comments I can only agree with what is already written, she evolved a lot unfortunately for her mostly because of bad things happening to her/her friends.

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Lieke wrote: "I can only agree with what is already written, she evolved a lot unfortunately for her mostly because of bad things happening to her/her friends."

Agreed. Celaena seems to mature every time she loses someone important to her. It is a pity that she has to suffer in order to become a better person.