Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4639 comments Mod
What are your summer plans? What's your summer reading list?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

My summer plans are to publish a children's Christmas book (my first) called What does Christmas mean to you?. Read as many books as I can from my list and one's on my desk(quite a stack). Finish up some research on a suspense trilogy I'm going to write and hopefully publish in 2019. No make that will publish in 2019.

message 3: by Anna (last edited Jun 21, 2018 02:32AM) (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1183 comments Currently I am paperbacking (!!) my ebooks which demands I read them through first...

Then I shall spend a little while on marketing - C.L. I'll be trying to crack the UK ads.

Then the chap who's banging in my head trying to get out with his story to tell will be attended to.

In between, I have someone else's book to read and, given half a chance, I want to read, read, read - and good ones will get reviews. I'm too embarrassed to list the ones I have in mind because I'm pretty sure I'll not manage to get to them. The plan is to sit in the garden near the end of the day and read. That's my dream rather than a plan!

And with family visiting from abroad for a month or so, and helping the other half of the family with their projects, plus winding down one of my part-time jobs, I think I'm being a bit optimistic.

Must crack on...!

message 4: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments Did we lose yesterday’s posts? If yes, find time machine, go backwards and find mine before Goodreads went down. I did links and evryfink.

message 5: by Carole (new)

I was wondering where you were.

message 6: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments I was erased due to alien invasion.

message 7: by Carole (new)

haha

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen Eisenbrey | 18 comments I will be traveling to Oregon at least once and maybe more for book signing events with other Not a Pipe authors. I'm planning a reading locally for late July. I have a Kindle full of promised reads (beta and otherwise) so I suspect I'll be writing a lot of reviews. And I hope to actually start writing a book I've been thinking about and planning for more than 2 years!

message 9: by Wolf (last edited Jun 22, 2018 07:47PM) (new)

Wolf DeVoon | 5 comments I need to write the third act of 'Partners,' which I am not eager to do, because I don't want the story to end, and it does not end well for Jimmy. Been actively working on it since February, writing full time, 7 days a week. Highly unusual for me to write so slowly. It's an important project. Hope to finish before Christmas.

message 10: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments I’ve got a ton of reading to do. I’ll at least get something finished. I’m also working on an unknown number of edits for another short novel to come out later this year.

message 11: by Carole (new)

sounds like fun. I hate the edits.

message 12: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments Got to be done. I’d love an editor. I may splash out if I ever earn enough on Medium. (I’m not going to earn it with book sales.) I’d also love to do these ARC things people talk about and get more reviews. So many things to look into. Beta readers would be good. Although to be honest a copy editor is probably higher on the list. Too many things. Editing today. Yay. I’m impressed with what I wrote at the end of last year. Didn’t think I was at the time.

message 13: by Carole (new)

I’m impressed with what u wrote!!!! But arcs are getting hard. You spend the money to send them and son won’t publish the reviews :(. The only good thing is u may get some blog mentions or a goodreads review

message 14: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments That’s very kind of you, as always. I’d read my latest one. I’ll probably just plod on doing what I’m doing. I’d like to reach more readers. My BargainBooksy got me three sales. I might keep the next one shorter and chuck it out for 99/free.

message 15: by M.J. (new)

M.J. Woods (mjwoodsbooks) | 41 comments Finish the second book in my two-book series! I'm also considering a new publishing option for all of my books. Also trying to keep up on Medium articles and reading other indies! :)
Happy Summer!

message 16: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Standafer | 88 comments My husband and I are traveling to Europe with our daughter to watch her swim in an event in Munich. From there, we're heading to Krakow, Budapest, Bratislava, and Vienna. I'm super, super excited and am thinking I need to find some books set in these places. Any suggestions?

message 17: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments Carole wrote: "I’m impressed with what u wrote!!!! But arcs are getting hard. You spend the money to send them and son won’t publish the reviews :(. The only good thing is u may get some blog mentions or a goodre..."

I feel I joined the Indie world as everything got harder to do. At least I'm finding it difficult. There seems to be a huge amount of time to put in for very little in return. I'm looking at Amazon ads again. I've got about 1100 impressions per click and no sales. (I've just increased one of them to .15 per impression and £1.50 per day.) The good side of that is that I've not spent a huge amount on it. I would have liked more than three sales for the Bargain Booksy I ran. I've been told that's quite a small return. So I've got plans to look into the marketing, but I haven't a clue which way to turn.

message 18: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1432 comments D.J. wrote: "Carole wrote: "I’m impressed with what u wrote!!!! But arcs are getting hard. You spend the money to send them and son won’t publish the reviews :(. The only good thing is u may get some blog menti..."

DJ, consider using Ereader News Today (ENT):

https://ereadernewstoday.com/about-us/

They are the only site I now use to run discount specials on my Kindle books.

Ted

message 19: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments Thanks Ted. I’ll take a look.

message 20: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments Looks like they charge $80 per promo for science fiction priced at £2.99. I may give that one a miss if I'm only ever going to sell 3 copies a promo.

I think I'd prefer to drop the price to .99 and take the $35 offer. That's more affordable for me.

message 21: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments I've dropped the price and submitted to ENT. They can only say no. Thanks Ted.

message 22: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments Yes I'll get a few more in while it's reduced in price and see what happens. I'm just scheduling another Bargain Booksy to see if .99 does any better than 3 sales. Of course they want another description I haven't written yet! That's the bit that takes the time.

message 23: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments Drives me nuts. Anyway, I planned to do some promo. I have done some promo. Two paid for ones, one which may not be accepted. Also, so far 3 free not guaranteed promos. That is enough for now. My eye is playing up. And I think I already used an alternative email address for one of them by mistake. (Rolls tired eyes.)

message 24: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1432 comments D.J. wrote: "I've dropped the price and submitted to ENT. They can only say no. Thanks Ted."

Good luck. I've never reduced my prices below $0.99. Nor do intend to do so in the foreseeable future. It simply goes against everything I believe in. I work hard to write and publish my books, from concept to finished product. I don't see why people should think they are entitled to free copies.

message 25: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments I absolutely agree with you Ted. I wish the public did.

message 26: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1432 comments D.J. wrote: "I absolutely agree with you Ted. I wish the public did."

"To thine own self be true." (;>)

message 27: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments Trying.

message 28: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1183 comments I agree with you about not giving away books for free. However... I'm running a KCD soon where the first book in my series will be free for 4 days. I ache over having to do it, but at least some people might get to read it this way. I just hope it's the right people...

I doubt I'll do this very often or even ever again.

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread