Beyond Reality discussion

Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
This topic is about Oryx and Crake
Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > ORYX AND CRAKE: Roll Call and First Impressions (*NO SPOILERS*)

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Please let us know if you've read or are planning to read Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood.

Please, **NO SPOILERS!!**

message 2: by Shel, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shel (shel99) | 2139 comments Mod
Read it early because that's when my library loan came through and liked it quite a bit - will post on the spoiler thread when I'm at a real computer and not stuck with an iPhone keyboard!

Beth (beth95) I've started. So far, so creepy.

message 4: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments I have an Atwood thing. She can't admit she writes SF, I will not read her.

DivaDiane | 172 comments I read this a long time ago (when it came out) and really enjoyed it. I'm not sure if I'll have much more to say than that because I won't be able to re-read it for this discussion. But I'll see what others say in the thread with spoilers.

I don't care if Atwood won't admit that what she writes can be and is called SF. She writes thought provoking novels and I enjoy it.

message 6: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments My problem was how she said it.
Snobbary front and center
I think the quote inluded ray guns and little green men.
Really annoyed me.

DivaDiane | 172 comments I agree that being antagonizing is stupid. But in this case, I don't have to like her to enjoy her work. What she said is not truly offensive or abusive, just disagreeable!

message 8: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (asfus) | 136 comments Will probably read

message 9: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments I'm on two separate waiting lists for the e-audiobook at my local libraries. Not sure it will become available before the month ends, but I plan to read it once it's available.

message 10: by Juston (last edited Aug 07, 2014 02:32AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Juston Fenton I started Oryx and Crake last weekend. I really really (double emphasis) liked The Handmaid's Tale as well as the film version, so I have very high expectations for this read.

I'm over halfway through and it is soo hopelessly dystopian. I find hopeless situations hard to engage with but given what happened in The Handmaid's Tale I'll preserve.

Margaret Atwood is a Sci-Fi author, or rather, is an author for whom some of her works can be classified as Sci-Fi - whether she cares to admit it or not is irrelevant. If it's blue, it's blue regardless of what you may say its colour is!

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 31 comments This was my first Margaret Atwood read...and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'll post a review and hop over to the spoiler threads soonish.