Christian Speculative Fiction discussion

Marketing and Reviewing Topics > Creating Buzz - Q2

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lara (new)

Lara Lee | 507 comments Mod
Have you ever felt more inclined to read a book because you thought the author was friendly, engaging, funny, or intelligent? If so, what sold you on them and their book?

message 2: by Stan (new)

Stan | 288 comments Mod
I don't know that many authors, certainly not well enough to know whether they are friendly, engaging, funny, or intelligent. So, that would limit my impressions of authors to public appearances, whether that be on television or social media. Of course, reviews of authors works can also inform me about what other people thought of the author, which would aid in forming a second-hand impression.

I started reading early Tom Clancy novels after watching the movie of "The Hunt for Red October". After reading one book, I found that several characters resonated with me. And, I think Jack Ryan represented what many conservative Americans wanted in a president. But, I didn't really know any of that until I actually read one of his books. So, for me, it seems that I take a chance on an author without much knowledge about him or her and then proceed to read more not not read more based on my experience with the first book.

I'm not sure if that's the kind of answer you're looking for.

message 3: by Lara (new)

Lara Lee | 507 comments Mod
The first time I met an author was when I was seven years old, and I won a slot at a kids writer's retreat. The author was so amazing that I spent all the money my mom had given me to buy three of her books. I read them all as soon as I got home and it made a lasting impression on me.

I have met a few more authors and seen quite a lot of interviews online and on TV. A great personality always gets me interested in their books, but an arrogant person turns me off forever. At conferences, I am more likely to buy a book from someone who seems to be there to teach rather than from someone trying to guilt me into buying from them.

Perhaps I spend more time researching authors than the average reader.

message 4: by Stan (new)

Stan | 288 comments Mod
That's a great story from your childhood! It definitely marked you in a positive way!