Goodreads Ireland discussion

After Me Comes the Flood
This topic is about After Me Comes the Flood
June 2018: After Me Comes.. > June 2018: After Me...Spoiler Thread

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bookworm with Kids This is the spoiler thread for our June monthly read.

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments What happened at the end? did Alex survive? An ambulance came and then?
Why was John so entranced by Eve? I didn't understand his obsession which he described as love.
At one point I thought the 6 people in the house were former residents of the mental health hospital described in the book. I found that section confusing though.
Any answers?

SueLucie | 72 comments Barbara wrote: "What happened at the end? did Alex survive? An ambulance came and then?
Why was John so entranced by Eve? I didn't understand his obsession which he described as love.
At one point I thought the 6 ..."

It's all rather confusing but these are my ideas...

I'm not sure whether Alex survives or not. On balance I think perhaps not.
As for John and Eve, I just assumed it was because she was beautiful and aloof. Oh and her fantastic piano playing too perhaps. And he was jealous of her closeness to Walker?
I think Alex and Elijah were inmates at the hospital. Eve is described as being at school with Alex so maybe she just visited. I think Clare went there to be with her brother. Walker went there in a professional capacity, something to do with the hospital's finances. Hester had known Alex & Clare since they were children and was a kind of substitute mother to them as their own was not around when Alex became ill. When she offers to give Alex and Elijah a different home, the others just follow and she takes them in too.

Well, it's nearly July and our book for that month is going to be more to people's taste for sure!

Colleen | 1205 comments I finished last night and decided to sleep on it before I commented. I agree with Sue that Alex died etc.
I was disappointed in this novel ,it started off in such a creepy way I was hooked but then it became a mess . I have a few questions John left , will his car magically start after a week ? Will it even be there ?
Will Hester be found out by the rest ? Will Elijah leave ? What will happen to the rest especially Clare . I feel that it had potential but then it sizzled out and to tell you the truth when it happened for me.
I have The Essex Serpent and at the time it was picked it didn't sound that interesting but later I found it in a second hand book store so I bought it for 2 dollars .Should I read it ? I also saw that she has another book coming out Melmoth

SueLucie | 72 comments Oh yes, Colleen, definitely read The Essex Serpent, everyone I know enjoyed it. It is completely different from her first one and much better written.

Colleen | 1205 comments Thank you Sue . I will try and squeeze it in soon . I did enter a giveaway
for her next book Melmoth it looks good .