Tsundoku Reading Group discussion

Series Club Discussions > Some Discussions Questions for Assasin's Apprentice

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amber (last edited Jun 19, 2018 12:31PM) (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 19 comments Mod
Hi all,
I am about 20% ish done with Jonathan Strange. Its just starting to get good. So I'm basically hunkering down with it. Since we're closing in on the end of the first month though I'm going to post up some discussion questions for Assassin's Apprentice.
I will address my opinions on these in the podcast, but would love to read other peoples responses first so I can maybe reference back to them or what not.
Here we go.

Why do you think the seamstress changes the emblem on Fitz's clothing from a buck with a red line through it to a buck charging? What do you think this means?

Fitz is known by several names throughout the story: Boy, Fitz, Thomas, and FitzChivalry. What name do you prefer? What do you think each name means in respect to how he evolves as a character?

In the story Burrich and Fitz have a sometimes sordid relationship. How did you feel about some of Burrich's choices in raising Fitz? What role do you see Burrich playing in Fitz's Life?

FitzChivalry shows an affinity for practicing The Wit, a frowned upon and persecuted art in the setting. Do you consider The Wit to be a form of magic or more a part of the person? What are your opinions on why it could be good and why it could be considered bad?

message 2: by Meo (new)

Meo Mio | 8 comments Why do you think the seamstress changes the emblem on Fitz's clothing from a buck with a red line through it to a buck charging? What do you think this means?

I think the change was done for a few different reasons. As the kings assassin he needed to be accepted in the inter circle of the wedding party. However I also felt that it signified a further recognition by Verity that Fitz was family. I also think it signified to others their own standing in the kingdom. Such as Galen who would never have that level of significance to the King or Verity.

message 3: by Meo (new)

Meo Mio | 8 comments Fitz is known by several names throughout the story: Boy, Fitz, Thomas, and FitzChivalry. What name do you prefer? What do you think each name means in respect to how he evolves as a character?
Again I think the Fitz name evolution is a slow acceptance of him coming into his own as a member of the royal family albeit never changing the fact that he is a bastard. I like that Patience chose to try to rectify past wrongs by naming Fitz -Thomas. I think it demonstrated to Fitz her good intentions however misplaced they may have been. I prefer his title FitzChivalry because along with this title came the recognition that his father loved him enough to protect him through non-recognition. However painful it was to both of them.

message 4: by Meo (new)

Meo Mio | 8 comments n the story Burrich and Fitz have a sometimes sordid relationship. How did you feel about some of Burrich's choices in raising Fitz? What role do you see Burrich playing in Fitz's Life?
I felt throughout the book that Burrich always had the best intentions to raise Fitz in honor of his father. It was certainly something he was not generally suited for and so he seems to try to do the right things through things he knows to be true. Throughout the process he struggles with his decisions because he realizes that his truths do not always aid the boy in dealing with his odd position in the kingdom.
I felt throughout the book that Burrich was extreme with Fitz feeling that it was in Fitz’s best interest and would ensure his safety. In the end I think Burrich was the closest thing to a father figure Fitz ever had.

message 5: by Meo (new)

Meo Mio | 8 comments FitzChivalry shows an affinity for practicing The Wit, a frowned upon and persecuted art in the setting. Do you consider The Wit to be a form of magic or more a part of the person? What are your opinions on why it could be good and why it could be considered bad?
I consider the Wit to be an inherent quality in Fitz himself and not necessarily magic. I try not to judge things as good or bad. I never saw the danger in the practice that Burrich continually expressed. However like every inherent behavior it has to be honed and controlled and I think Burrich’s constant vigilance towards Fitz not using the Wit forced Fitz to gain control over its use. It certainly proved its utility in more than one situation and ultimately saved his life.

message 6: by Amber (new)

Thanks for responding to all these!! I hope some other people get involved. I don't want to divulge all my opinions right onto the site because I want to go over them in my podcast. I felt like the first question was pretty complicated, I stole it from someone else LOL. I was hoping to see some responses to it!

message 7: by Aryanne (new)

Aryanne (tangentialmind) | 8 comments Why do you think the seamstress changes the emblem on Fitz's clothing from a buck with a red line through it to a buck charging? What do you think this means?

I think that the change in his emblem (they specifically mentioned that Verity had it done) signifies more than a mere acceptance but defines his use to the throne as embodied by Verity. I've mentioned before that bastards seem to have their place in society decided for them. They are a tool. I think Verity is formally declaring Fitz's usefulness to him. The charging pose of the stag overtly states that Fitz is no mere tool, but a weapon. As an aside, the overt nature of the emblem's message is almost ironic considering the nature of the Fitz's work. Maybe that is due to Verity's straight forward nature?

message 8: by Aryanne (new)

Aryanne (tangentialmind) | 8 comments Meo wrote: "I think Burrich’s constant vigilance towards Fitz not using the Wit forced Fitz to gain control over its use."

I feel like this it Burrich's single greatest impact on the story so far and I have great respect for him. That said, at pivotal points in the story Burrich is not a thinker. I mean no disrespect but his character seems more loyalty and tradition driven. I'm not sure what I mean to say here exactly but I thought I'd put it out there.

message 9: by Amber (new)

Aryanne wrote: "Why do you think the seamstress changes the emblem on Fitz's clothing from a buck with a red line through it to a buck charging? What do you think this means?

I think that the change in his emblem..."

I love your take on this, I totally agree that the charging buck is very symbolic to Fitz's designation as a weapon. This is perfectly said!