Space Opera Fans discussion

Previous BOTM Threads > [BOTM] - MOD PICK - An Invisible Thread by Robert Lee Wolfe

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (last edited Aug 01, 2014 10:37AM) (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) An Invisible Thread: The War in the Orion Arm by Robert Lee Wolfe is our MOD PICK for August.

An Invisible Thread The War in the Orion Arm by Robert Lee Wolfe Robert Lee Wolfe

"The year is 3335. Earth is expanding its sphere of influence and reaching for resources out-system. Trade with alien worlds has become commonplace, and so has conflict in interstellar space. The ancient, wicked Brakikeen-jhennen, a species of prideful, xenophobic, warlike creatures, are expanding their sphere, as well. Both are moving into the so-called Fertile Arc of the Orion Arm of the Milky Way.

19-year-old Erin Broctrup is contemplating joining the Earth's Space Exploration and Expansion Fleet and being flown out into deep space for the experience of a lifetime. At the same time, daring and zealous yuvynn warriors are enlisting to take part in an alliance with Earth for reasons that are unclear to most humans. As corporate entities and world-spanning governments strain to take by force what they presume they can obtain, the lives of common citizens are swept up in the programs, policies and politics of interstellar expansion..."

Are you reading this book? Shout it out in the discussion thread below! Find out who else is reading it. Share your thoughts and links to your reviews. Just remember to be kind and use the spoiler .html so you don't spoil the fun!

message 2: by Anna (last edited Aug 03, 2014 04:12AM) (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) I -hope- to find time to read it while I'm away on vacation for a few days, John :-) I have a lot more books on my TBR list than time to read them, so I'm hoping to get some down time this week to catch up on my l-o-n-g wishlist.

Robert ... is the Kobo edition DRM-free? I've got to sideload it onto my Nook, but I -hate- buying from B&N if I can at all avoid it as it doesn't work with my Calibre (yeah, I know, I'm a P.I.T.A., I'm paranoid and I don't like apps). Where can I get a DRM-free copy (not looking to scrounge up a freebie ... don't mind paying ... just hate DRM). If you've got it DRM-locked everywhere, could I buy it there and email you the receipt?

FYI - for other SOF authors ... when choosing a MOD PICK, availability on non-Amazon platforms is always a factor in the decision making process as this is always a book I hope to read myself.

message 3: by Robert (last edited Aug 02, 2014 10:46AM) (new)

Robert Wolfe | 38 comments Anna wrote: "Robert ... is the Kobo edition DRM-free?"

I actually am not sure. I run it out to them via Draft2Digital. I'll check to see if I can be certain which way it is with KOBO.

Anytime I put the book out to a new place, I always check anywhere it says to make it DRM-free. I know it is DRM-free through Amazon, because I remember checking that box specifically there before publishing. But, now that I think about it, I don't recall getting an option one way or the other through Draft2Digital . . . will update when I get an answer from them. Can certainly get you a DRM-free copy somehow, though!

It's also available through Scribd and Inktera as well as Amazon, B&N, and iBooks.

Book's website is here (nice hub to work out from and find it on whatever place you want):

www.aninvisiblethreadnovel.weebly.com

Thanks for picking this! I look forward to feedback and discussion!

-Rob

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) ScribD and Inktera require subscription services (don't like things-with-strings). Get back to me if you hear from D2D about Kobo? Kobo, unfortunately, never lists that stuff. Everybody is pushing their apps which 1) don't work on my older Nook Simple Touch and 2) are invasive ... what I read is nobody's business.

If it's not at Kobo DRM-free, then I'll download it from Amazon and use Calibre to convert it to .mobi. I just like to support the weaker platforms when I can.

Is it available on GooglePlay? I download a ton of stuff from there.

You should upload your book to Smashwords just to get it into Flipkart and the Smashwords store, and also Overdrive. The meatgrinder isn't as scary as everybody says.

message 5: by Anna (last edited Aug 03, 2014 04:10AM) (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) John wrote: "If Anna is okay with this we could start a thread in the author corner..."

Yes :-) Please do that John. One of the things I hope to do with this community is encourage the sci-fi writers to come together and learn from one another the way the romance writers do so Space Opera can take back the shelves at the bookstore and assimilate the world [*mwah-hah-hah!!!*]. All I ask is the author-members keep shop-talk separate from the reader threads as most people really don't want to hear a long discussion about smiting adverbs or weeding a bug out of your .html code to get your ebook to pass the epubcheck. :-)

Oh ... hi ... Robert? We, uh ... we kinda hijacked your book thread. Sorry ... putting things back on track now...

message 6: by Anna (last edited Aug 03, 2014 04:24AM) (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Okay ... just bought it from Amazon and used Calibre converted it into an .epub file just fine :-) It is now loaded onto my Nook and officially on my TBR list, after Killing Doctor Jon,Beyond Heaving Bosoms: The Smart Bitches' Guide to Romance Novels, The Toad King: A Soldier's Story and The Remnant.

[*yeah ... I like political thrillers and romance, too*]

[**actually ... maybe I'll blame the second one on my friend who loaned me her paperback ... no, it's uh ... research. Yeah ... it's RESEARCH. Maybe I should just shut up and plead the fifth?**]

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert Wolfe | 38 comments Glad you got it to work out.

Draft2Digital is closed until Monday, so we weren't going to find out about KOBO until at least EOB tomorrow, if they ever could get me an answer.

Looking at KOBO, they do seem to be suspected of DRM-ing everything, so it is probable that the book has it there after all.

Regarding GooglePlay, I am wary of Google as it is, so I am not psyched about dealing with them in distributing stuff of mine. I looked into putting music out through them, and, I have to say, their Terms and Conditions are scary compared to everyone else who can put stuff out there for you--plus, they have start-up fees!

Smart Bitches . . . I think my wife reads that blog!

Anyway, yeah, back to An Invisible Thread: The War in the Orion Arm . . .

message 8: by Robert (new)

Robert Wolfe | 38 comments Anna wrote: "Robert ... is the Kobo edition DRM-free?..."

Anna, Draft2Digital got back to me and reminded me that I did opt for the default to all the venders to be DRM-free. So, the book should be DRM-free anywhere anyone picks it up at this point.

Also, for whoever might be interested, there is a Goodreads Giveaway going on right now for hardcopies of An Invisible Thread: The War in the Orion Arm. This is the last week that they will be taking entries for it, here:
https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/en...

And, once more, here's the book's official website:
www.aninvisiblethreadnovel.weebly.com

-Rob

message 9: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Thanks Robert! Bought the Amazon version and it converted to .epub just fine using Calibre. :-)

message 10: by Anna (last edited Aug 14, 2014 08:39PM) (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) *******************************************************************************************

THE INTERVIEW IS IN!!! :-)

Read Robert Lee Wolfe's Space Opera Fans interview about An Invisible Thread.

HERE: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

*******************************************************************************************

message 11: by Robert (new)

Robert Wolfe | 38 comments So, I took your advice and made the book available through Smashwords. No trouble with the Meatgrinder. Not sure why I didn't do it before, really!

message 12: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Yea! Link: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/...

Even if you go direct everyplace you can, it gives you a place to offer coupon codes or give links to people in oddball countries that nobody serves.