Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Looking for a Project? > COMPLETED - Stories from these sites valid for GR listings? (was are these real covers?)

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7168 comments Not sure they're books and maybe should be NAB'd.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45482 comments Mod
None of those are valid covers.

The one in message 4 is clearly part of a magazine, so not a book. It should be deleted (merged into a collection, if it ever appeared as part of one). The others all seem to me to be separately published ebooks, but I am not familiar with any of the sites they are on, so if you have additional information please let me know.

And a general reminder: only items with ISBNs or ASINs should be NAB'd by librarians. Items that are not books and have neither ISBN nor ASIN can just be deleted.

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Sorry, the one in message 3.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7168 comments rivka wrote: "The others all seem to me to be separately published ebooks, but I am not familiar with any of the sites they are on, so if you have additional information please let me know."

If a story is published on a zine, is it "not a book"? (And that was my questioning of the NAB status, but would be happy for clarification.)

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Which of those sites do you feel is a zine? As I mentioned, they are not sites I am familiar with.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7168 comments rivka wrote: "Which of those sites do you feel is a zine? As I mentioned, they are not sites I am familiar with."

From the first entry in post #1, this book is shown as format ezine. It is hard for me to understand that meant something other than zine. Would that mean that that site is a zine and entries from there not a book?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 7: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jun 19, 2018 12:10PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7168 comments Stories published only at Strange Horizons are not published separately. They should be merged with the magazine entry.

I don't recognize the others.

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

It turns out that Daily Science Fiction defines themselves as a magazine. So stories from that site would need to be deleted or merged into collections.

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

http://books.ofearna.us/ appears to be some random person's site, not in any way affiliated with the authors. They probably don't even have the legal right to redistribute those stories.

So stories from that site would also need to be deleted or merged into collections.

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Black Gate is a magazine.

On their own site, it says "Lone Star Stories is a bimonthly webzine".

Vestal Review also clearly identifies itself as a magazine on its homepage.

Night Shade Books is a publisher. It appears to host some individual shorts as well, and those should be ok.

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Lexa wrote: "Then a little lower says it's her "tribute" page."

Which makes it a fan page, not an official author (or publisher) site, as I said before.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7168 comments When you delete the books from your posts, librarians cannot address the underlying issue.

message 13: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Susan wrote: " books.ofearna.us/hoffman.html is an official PAGE"

Not in the sense of an official author's site, which is what Goodreads means. These stories do not seem to meet the Goodreads definition of separately published.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7168 comments Lexa wrote: "Elizabeth, I found merge targets for

so far."

Feel free to edit your post #25 and mark them such. In the other thread, I know only about the Science Fiction Daily one, so you'll need to add a link which anthologies are the merge targets for the others.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7168 comments Lexa wrote: "I did. after each of those I put the target in parenthesis. "into this book"

I'll do w/e you want to make it organized how you want."

Once I get started on these, you'll need to make a new post for new merge targets - you can edit those posts, but a new one telling me which numbers are edited.(So I don't forget where I am, what I've done - and thanks!)

I'll let you know in a new post which have been done.

message 16: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jun 20, 2018 07:41AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7168 comments 25.1 merge pending in supers thread

25.6 merge pending in supers thread

25.8 merge pending in supers thread

25.13 merge pending in supers thread

25.20 merge pending in supers thread

25.29 merge pending in supers thread

Lexa - these are all I see for that Savage Breasts anthology - if there are others, now would be a good time to identify them. I did find the short story Savage Breasts, but it was published earlier in Pulphouse, and I merged with its original publication.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7168 comments 25.9 merge pending in supers thread

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7168 comments Lexa wrote: "That was one I was able to put in the super thread earlier. I put ones that didn't involve questionable sources. These in this thread are all "are these valid listings/questionable sources" ."

If you want to change the folder for this thread to "Looking for a Project" then other librarians will know the original question has been answered and now we're on to fixing the problems.

I'll take a look at the ones you posted over there. Maybe I can help clean those up. Any titles with 5 or fewer adds can be done by any librarian, doesn't take a super.

You're welcome. I have done some of this type of work in other threads, so it feels familiar. ;-)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7168 comments Maybe I'll just leave those then. It's not good when 2 people are working on the same titles - bad things have been known to happen.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7168 comments Lexa wrote: "There are no other targets for:

17 - magazine is not on GRs
27"

OK, if no merge targets, only supers can do these. Feel free to post in that thread.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7168 comments Corinne wrote: "18

entered onto the delete/merge thread

They all need to be combined though.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/......"

Got these combined and posted as such in the other thread.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7168 comments And thanks for identifying and keeping after these.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7168 comments fixed - thanks for checking my work

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.