Art Lovers discussion

Guess Who (by artist bio) > Who do you think I Could Be? Helen Frankenthaler

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments "What concerns me when I work, is not whether the picture is a landscape, or whether it's pastoral, or whether somebody will see a sunset in it. What concerns me is - did I make a beautiful picture?" quote from artist.

One of the most influential artists of ___ time period.

___ father was a judge on the New York State Supreme Court and died of cancer when ___ was eleven years old. The loss affected ___ deeply, sending ______ into a four-year period of unhappiness during which time ___ suffered from intense migraines.

By the time ___ was sixteen, ___ decided to become an artist

______'s art produced luminous color washes that appeared to merge with the canvas and deny any hint of three-dimensional illusionism...marked by airy compositions that celebrated the joys of pure color and gave an entirely new look and feel to the surface of the canvas...misty compositions dominated by large areas of color that seemed to have emerged onto the canvas naturally and organically...the natural landscape - rather than the existential confrontation with the canvas or search for the sublime - served as the major focus and inspiration. ___ pared-down forms were often informed by ___ impressions of nature, be they the arid terrain of the American Southwest; a mulberry tree seen in upstate New York; or the Long Island Sound, viewed from the artist's home.

(view spoiler)

Who am I?

message 2: by Judi (new)

Judi (jvaughn) | 59 comments Helen Frankenthaler

message 3: by Judi (new)

Judi (jvaughn) | 59 comments Go to https://www.artsy.net/artist/helen-fr...
for a good look at her work and artistic motivations. I love her
color-staining technique.

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments Judi wrote: "Helen Frankenthaler"

Great Judi! And thank you for the reference. I really like learning more about the artists, their works and their lives, experiences that contribute to what they create in their art.

message 5: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1957 comments I should have known this one. I went through a Helen Frankenthaler phase just before I went to grad school.