Authors & Reviewers discussion

Amazon Features & More > Kindle Unlimited Subscribers: Please Read at least the first 12% of the Books You Decide to Sample.

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathy (last edited Aug 01, 2014 07:44AM) (new)

Kathy Golden | 23 comments I'm sure most of us have heard of Kindle Unlimited. If not, you can find out more about it in the link at the bottom.

Here's an excerpt from Amazon's over ten-percent requirement:

"Once a customer reads more than 10% of your book..., you'll receive a share of the KDP Select Global Fund."

The above quote is from Amazon's Guidelines to authors on how to earn royalties on books those authors have placed in Kindle Unlimited. This post is to ask subscribers to Kindle Unlimited to please read at least the first 12% of the books you sample through this subscription. This percentage will ensure that over 10% of the book has been read. The 12% point is visible on most reading devices.

Traditionally published authors and some bestselling indie authors get paid whenever someone chooses their books through this subscription, even if the subscriber does not read over ten percent. This exception applies to a very small handful of indie authors.

All other Indie Authors only get paid if over 10% of a book is read. Granted, there might be some books that you just can't get that far into, but for all the books of which you can read at least that much, we indie authors thank you!

Introducing Kindle Unlimited

message 2: by Turhan (new)

Turhan Halil As an 'indie' myself, I really appreciate you providing this information. I'll be sure to read a minimum 12% of any indie books I read.

message 3: by Kathy (last edited Aug 02, 2014 02:51PM) (new)

Kathy Golden | 23 comments Turhan wrote: "As an 'indie' myself, I really appreciate you providing this information. I'll be sure to read a minimum 12% of any indie books I read."

Thanks, Turhan. Some of the indie books are tricky to identify because many indie authors list their own publishing companies instead of just their names. If you know of some easy ways to identify indie books, we would like to know them.

message 4: by Lilac (new)

Lilac Reviews Have you folks heard anything about if it's a verified purchase? I posted two reviews that were from the unlimited plan... I noticed it didn't say verified.

message 5: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Oldham (marisaoldham) | 554 comments Mod
Lilac,

They should be showing up as verified as long as you read at least 10 % of the books.

M

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden | 23 comments I think you actually have to buy the book for the purchase to show up as verified. I posted a review of one of the books I read through my subscription, but the review doesn't show up as verified.

A person does need to read OVER 10% of the book for the author to get paid. I aim for about 12-20%. I post reviews on books that I finish, but I haven't seen any of them labeled as "verified."

message 7: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden | 23 comments C. wrote: "Kathy wrote: "I think you actually have to buy the book for the purchase to show up as verified. I posted a review of one of the books I read through my subscription, but the review doesn't show up..."

Yes, C. KU is tricky for authors. The good part is that they can get paid even if a person doesn't finish the book, but the person has to read a little over 10% to trigger the payment. I'm a KU subscriber and I have one of my books in KU. What is the name of your book? I'll be happy to preview at least 12- to 15% of it. I've previewed quite a few books by Indie Authors and created a TBR list containing the ones I liked and would probably come back to. I have quite a few books to read and review right now, so I'm just creating this list of books to check out later. Are you a KU subscriber?

message 8: by Tammie (new)

Tammie Venne | 1 comments ok, so has anyone tried to check it out on kindle unlimited and then purchase on free promo, Does it show verified if you leave the review after you purchase?

message 9: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden | 23 comments C. wrote: "Kathy wrote: "C. wrote: "Kathy wrote: "I think you actually have to buy the book for the purchase to show up as verified. I posted a review of one of the books I read through my subscription, but t..."

Hi C.,
So are you a KU subscriber, also?

message 10: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Bryant (jjbryantbooks) | 4 comments I am a Kindle Unlimited Subscriber and I just checked my reviews on Amazon and they do not indicate that they are "Verified" hope that helps

message 11: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden | 23 comments The Kindle Unlimited borrows won’t show up as purchases. The author gets paid whatever the royalty is for borrows in the given month, but the review isn’t labeled because it’s not an actual purchase. If you later download the book for free or buy it, the review will be listed as a verified purchase.

One good thing about KU is that people who are willing to buy books in the program can help authors earn double royalties. I wrote an article on this:

http://www.kathysnotes.com/

message 12: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Bryant (jjbryantbooks) | 4 comments Kathy- That is great information thank you for sharing I will def. be doing this from now on to support other Indie authors!

message 13: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden | 23 comments Kathy wrote: "The Kindle Unlimited borrows won’t show up as purchases. The author gets paid whatever the royalty is for borrows in the given month, but the review isn’t labeled because it’s not an actual purchas..."

You're welcome. I hope more readers will join in helping out indie authors this way.

message 14: by Richard (new)

Richard Mallett | 2 comments Hi Kathy

What are you opinions on the recent changes made to royalties. My impression is that now they are based on total pages read. Which I am hoping will resolve the need for readers feeling guilty if they don't want to get to the 12% to reward the author.

message 15: by C. (new)

C. Coleman (kiousfedra) | 26 comments I'm no longer involved in Kindle Select or Kindle Unlimited.

message 16: by Kathy (last edited Jul 20, 2015 12:57PM) (new)

Kathy Golden | 23 comments Richard wrote: "Hi Kathy

What are you opinions on the recent changes made to royalties. My impression is that now they are based on total pages read. Which I am hoping will resolve the need for readers feeling ..."

Hi Richard,
There are quite a few who feel that these new changes are good. I don't see how they can be. Before if a person read over 10% of a book, the author was paid the full-borrow compensation. Now, if a person reads, say, 15% of a book, the author will be paid based on the number of pages. So unless people are reading a good portion of a book, the change translates into less money. But I'm waiting for reports from authors who will share their earnings based on this change.

message 17: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden | 23 comments C. wrote: "I'm no longer involved in Kindle Select or Kindle Unlimited."

Was your decision to leave based on the change to page-counts? Or had you left before that?

message 18: by C. (last edited Jul 20, 2015 06:31PM) (new)

C. Coleman (kiousfedra) | 26 comments No, I left before that. KU seems to be a way to cut the author's royalty and limit potential sales on other formats. I talked with other authors and that's the way they saw it. Also, Select controls your 'sale' options. Now I'm free to market as I see opportunities.

message 19: by Richard (new)

Richard Mallett | 2 comments Thanks for the feedback, I am going to watch this closely. I have my own book up on Kindle unlimited for the last month. I am intrigued to see how page count translates to revenue as one email I received suggested 100 readers reading 100 pages = $1000 broken down that's more than I could ever hope to earn just selling my 500 page book it 1.99. If it is accurate I could see a resurgence in its use. Time will tell...

message 20: by Charlie (new)

Charlie B. I have tak3en four books in my regency series out of unlimited. going to put them on smashwords to see how that goes. Unlimited has killed sales on amazon.
Ref unlimited reads. you don't need to actually read the pages, just flick through them to the end to get a full read to show.

message 21: by Charlie (new)

Charlie B. Charlie wrote: "I have taken four books in my regency series out of unlimited. going to put them on smashwords to see how that goes. Unlimited has killed sales on amazon.
Ref unlimited reads. you don't need to ac..."

message 22: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Walker (jetplague) | 13 comments That’s like sampling a plate of cheese and then putting the half eaten cheese back on to the tray. Who does that? There needs to be some commitment there....if you start a story you’ve taken interest in...then read it all the way.

message 23: by Julia (new)

Julia Tilson (juliatilson) | 1 comments Thanks for the information. My book is currently in KU, so I'm glad to learn how the sales work.