Flights of Fantasy discussion

The Minority Report
This topic is about The Minority Report
Archived Group Reads > August 2014 - Sci-Fi: The Minority Report by Philip K. Dick

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris , cookie guilt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments I read this yesterday. Awesome story.

Question is, are we just reading the story or a collection? And if so...there are about 2345 difference collections to choose from.

message 2: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee | 939 comments I just finished the story and I feel like my head just spun in a complete circle. Which is just how I like to feel after reading something like this. I love things like fate and paradoxes and such. Good story.

I'd be open to reading more. But my book had the one story only and I'd have to wait until next Saturday to get anymore from my library.

message 3: by Becky, Modderific (new) - rated it 2 stars

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments I think we should probably just do the one story... though I think it's novella length, yeah? (So it doesn't feel like a ripoff?)

message 4: by Chris , cookie guilt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments That makes sense, Becky. Otherwise we'd probably never be able to agree on which collection to go with.

Glad you liked it, Nienna. I love a story that keeps you thinking after you've finished it.

message 5: by Becky, Modderific (new) - rated it 2 stars

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments Starting this one now!

Elise I'm nearly finished with the Grossbart novel... Finally! So hopefully in some days I will start this one too!!

Sinistmer | 212 comments Started this today. It's definitely interesting so far.

message 8: by Becky, Modderific (new) - rated it 2 stars

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments I didn't care for it. *sigh* This always happens.

I liked it well enough if I was just looking at the SF thriller aspect, but if I thought about it at all, it just annoyed me. :(

message 9: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 3 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments So I just started it today - I'll try to get it finished up today.

I really hate having a different media in my head when reading a book/story.

message 10: by Becky, Modderific (new) - rated it 2 stars

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "So I just started it today - I'll try to get it finished up today.

I really hate having a different media in my head when reading a book/story."

What do you mean by different media? The movie?

message 11: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 3 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Yeah, the movie.

message 12: by Becky, Modderific (new) - rated it 2 stars

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments I don't remember if I saw the movie. I think I'm going to watch it though, just to compare.

message 13: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 3 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I really enjoyed the movie so the differences are a little jarring - which is why I prefer to read prior to watching, lol.

message 14: by Becky, Modderific (new) - rated it 2 stars

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments Yup. Me too.

Sinistmer | 212 comments I finished this this morning, and I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, it's a quick thriller read, and I was definitely caught up in it. But I also found myself dissatisfied with the characters, and, while I think that Dick did something interesting, I thought it was...too contained(?). For example (view spoiler). I don't know, I just found myself wanting a bit more.

message 16: by Becky, Modderific (new) - rated it 2 stars

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments Sinistmer, that's exactly how I felt. (view spoiler)

Elise Oh wait, that was it? Only the first 45 pages of the book? The rest are other stories? Oops... Then it did not move me very much....
I was reading on in the book and wondering how on earth all these different personalities all would come back into one story, but then... they don't!
Minority Report was fun, but nothing fantastic.

message 18: by Becky, Modderific (new) - rated it 2 stars

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments LOL Elise, I've done that before. Many times, unfortunately.

message 19: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee | 939 comments I judge books and short stories different. Something that would bug me in a book, I forgive in a short story. I did have a problem with the end though, (view spoiler) But I can forgive it.

I like the movie too. But I don't think I remember it.

message 20: by Becky, Modderific (new) - rated it 2 stars

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments I judge them differently too, though most of the time I actually judge short stories a little harsher than novels. I have read a lot of really amazing short stories and I feel like if you're going to write in that format, you need to be that much better to make the story work in a shorter form. In a novel, you have more room to ramble.

message 21: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 3 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Becky wrote: "I judge them differently too, though most of the time I actually judge short stories a little harsher than novels. I have read a lot of really amazing short stories and I feel like if you're going ..."

Ooooh agreed! I do, too.

Elise Becky wrote: "I judge them differently too, though most of the time I actually judge short stories a little harsher than novels. I have read a lot of really amazing short stories and I feel like if you're going ..."

Well said!

message 23: by Chris , cookie guilt (last edited Aug 12, 2014 01:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Though the issue I've seen a lot lately is giving them more room to ramble means they'll..ummm....use it.

I'm usually not a huge fan of short stories for these reasons, but I do appreciate it if I don't have to push through 999 pages of fluff to get to the point of it.

message 24: by Becky, Modderific (new) - rated it 2 stars

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments Fair point!

message 25: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 3 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Chris wrote: "Though the issue I've seen a lot lately is giving them more room to ramble means they'll..ummm....use it.

I'm usually not a huge fan of short stories for these reasons, but I do appreciate it if I..."

This is very true.

message 26: by Éric (new)

Éric Lord | 13 comments This was one of the rare, if not the first, sci-fi short story I read. I'm much more into novels and series.

I wasn't impressed by the style. I understand it's a short story, but it felt too rushed. I didn't get any ambience or mood whatsoever. It felt as though Dick was in a hurry to get his idea out there.

The concept is interesting, and gains in relevance once put in its historical context.

I wonder how "tapes" fare when dealing in space travel =)

message 27: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 3 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Finally finished! I'm still debating my rating.

message 28: by Becky, Modderific (new) - rated it 2 stars

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "Finally finished! I'm still debating my rating."

Kneejerk reaction, go!

message 29: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (last edited Aug 14, 2014 05:32PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Becky wrote: "MrsJoseph wrote: "Finally finished! I'm still debating my rating."

Kneejerk reaction, go!"

Like...2.5 stars is the kneejerk.

Current review (still in progress):

(view spoiler)

message 30: by Becky, Modderific (new) - rated it 2 stars

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments I want to discuss, but I have a call right now. So hold those thoughts. :D

message 31: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 3 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments :D

message 32: by Becky, Modderific (new) - rated it 2 stars

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments MrsJ: (view spoiler)

message 33: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 3 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Becky wrote: "spoiler"

True - but what about when (view spoiler)

Sinistmer | 212 comments I think it's interesting that (view spoiler). My frustration is that we see almost none of the aftermath of Anderton's actions.

message 35: by Becky, Modderific (new) - rated it 2 stars

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments I totally meant to reply MrsJ, but then I got caught up with work (Pfft!) and forgot.

So, regarding that, I think (view spoiler)

Sinistmer, I totally agree. I wanted to know more about the non-plotline situation. What happened after, what society thought about it... etc.

message 36: by Chris , cookie guilt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments I read it, loved it, moved on.

message 37: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 3 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments You know, I'm really glad we're talking about this - it's making me give the story a little more thought! Not sure if it's what you meant to do but I think you changed my mind about something.

(view spoiler)

message 38: by Becky, Modderific (new) - rated it 2 stars

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments (view spoiler)

Elise (view spoiler)

message 40: by Éric (new)

Éric Lord | 13 comments (view spoiler)

message 41: by Becky, Modderific (new) - rated it 2 stars

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments That is an interesting question, Eric - but (view spoiler)

(PS. I hope that makes sense!)

message 42: by S.C. (new)

S.C. Flynn (scyflynn) Thanks for the discussion - I'm inspired to look up this story again.

Michelle (fireweaver) | 33 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "So I just started it today - I'll try to get it finished up today.

I really hate having a different media in my head when reading a book/story."

Me too. I like the movie a whole lot, and I like the ways it expands on the idea of pre-judged guilt. The book being a simpler look at the same concept just kinda bounced off me.