The Sword and Laser discussion

Why isn't Scalzi on the SFBC?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RB (new)

RB | 8 comments Anybody have insight into what's available on the Science Fiction Book Club site (sfbc.com)? I don't know why I'm a sucker for them -- the books are poorly printed, and it's a pain to refuse "credits" most months -- but I like the idea of getting a kick in the pants to get a few recently published books every month or two.

But there are a number of authors I follow, including Scalzi, whose stuff isn't on the SFBC. Leckie is there, Kim Harrison, even our current selection, Circe... but things seem to drop off or never appear there as well, and I can't figure out what to expect to be available when. There's currently no Asmiov (what? How can you be a SFBC without a least one Asimov omnibus?) for instance, and Neal Stephenson, who has been on a number of times, isn't now.

I realize it's sort of a revolving selection by design, but I would've expected at least Head On to [still] be there (Scalzi's from this year). I probably would not have expected, say, Oprah's Food, Health, & Happiness either, for instance.

Do they have deals with specific publishers? Do some authors refuse to be listed? Do they pay authors well? What's the deal there, anyhow? ;^)

message 2: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4282 comments I can't answer that question, but I can say that either your local library or your nearest big city library will have him on Overdrive. So for a small travel at most, you can have many, many books available. And that in itself may explain it. There's really no need for an SFBC any more.

message 3: by RB (new)

RB | 8 comments My library only has Redshirts, Collapsing Empire, Lock In, and Old Man’s War from Scalzi. I’ve noticed our Overdrive selection seems to traffic in first in a series books a fair amount, though I’ve chewed through a few full series.

But new books usually require purchases, and he’s nearly guilted me from some recent tweets into buying more hardbacks to give authors I enjoy a little more cash.

Thanks! But I will admit a fascination with the economics here. The SFBC is a strange beast. I mean, why do publishers allow them to print substandard editions of new books, anyhow? 😉

message 4: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4282 comments ^You raise a good point. I've read a lot of Gail Carriger from the library, but now that she has a novella series on her own I gladly plunk down the $4 to read them. I want authors to get the cash.

message 5: by Kev (new)

Kev (sporadicreviews) | 657 comments Weird. I created my collection of Asimov books using the SFBC back in the 80s and 90s.