Our Shared Shelf discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Announcements > Send your Questions for Emma's interview with Reni Eddo-Lodge!

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (last edited Jun 17, 2018 12:52PM) (new)

Jo (jo_9) | 373 comments Mod
Hi Everyone,
Although its been a good few months since we finished the fantastic 'Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People About Race' by Reni Eddo-Lodge, we are very excited to bring the news that Emma will be interviewing Reni sometime in July - and it will be captured on video exclusively for OSS!
We would therefore love to give you a chance to ask Reni a question in the comments section below - and Emma will pick a few to ask her!

If questions could be in by June 30th it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
The OSS Moderators

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

What gave you the inspiration to write about this book?

message 3: by Robin (new)

Robin (z_rob) | 128 comments Hi Reni! First of all I think you have a very lucid and realist point of view about the condition of black people in England and the UK in general. Do you have some tracks that could be used in order to change people and by extension, British society in its whole about black people?

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue | 4 comments Hi I enjoyed the book but as a white person I came away from it feeling very impotent. Did you not provide some hope at the end of the book purposely?

message 5: by Deka (new)

Deka Gedleh | 9 comments What’s your thoughts on womanism? Do you consider yourself one?

message 6: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Hanakowski (rachaelhanakowski) | 51 comments Hi Reni! My question is: was there a particular line in the book that you feel captures the essence of the message you hope the book will bring to its readers?

message 7: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments What is the one thing you would want people to stop asking you when it comes to race?

message 8: by Killian (new)

Killian Mann (killianmann) | 1 comments Thank you Reni for not just your book but your podcast.
Question time: reparations. How do you feel about structured reparations to help increase financial security for people of color to pursue higher education, unpaid internships, and other pursuits of success that long term systematic racism has made financially, at best, improbable for people of color?
Do you think/ feel the form of a state-sponsored “trust-fund” would be a realistic set-up for such a program?

message 9: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabethlk) | 22 comments Was there anything you wanted to address in the book that you were unable to cover?

Are there any books or documentaries that you think make for important sources on learning about race in Britain or outside the US in general?

message 10: by Emma (new)

Emma Kia ora Reni, do you think white paralysis stemming from the guilt of the ongoing effects of colonisation and systemic racism is what prevents white people from being effective allies and advocates for change?

message 11: by Eve (new)

Eve | 5 comments Who or what inspired you to write this book?

message 12: by Eve (new)

Eve | 5 comments What lessons or ideals do you hope readers take away from your book?

message 13: by Lucila (new)

Lucila Ruiu | 1 comments hello reni! during and after reading your book I found myself enlightened by this knowledge of structural racism that I hadn't known about so deeply before. as great as it was, it also turned me into a very angry person, since there are some injustices that -fortunately- can't be unseen once you learn about them. I was wondering how you managed to learn how to live and cope with this raging feeling, and what one can do to positively canalize it. thank you OSS. lucila from argentina

message 14: by Shana (new)

Shana Kaplan (sek1128) | 93 comments Emma, Thank you for conducting this interview and many thanks to Reni for answering our questions. Regards, Shana (pronounced Shah-Nah)

Your book has encouraged me to think about my life experiences as a white Jewish female born and raised in a neighborhood in Bronx, NY, which was predominately POC, vs. my experiences starting at age 15 living in a predominately white neighborhood on Long Island, NY. My experiences on Long Island were vastly different than that in the Bronx and not for the better. In High School on Long Island, I endured a lack of acceptance and mental and physical abuse from someone whose parents were part of the KKK. I would like to think that my experiences have contributed to my ability to empathize the difficulties and injustices others face on a daily basis and why I continue to fight for equality for all people regardless of race, religion, and/or sexual orientation. Do you think it is possible for white people to empathize with those who face injustices and/or discrimination if they have not experienced it themselves? What can people do to empathize?

Do you think that under certain situations such as discrimination of religion or socioeconomic background a white person could experience some of the effects of “white feminism”?

message 15: by C. (new)

C. (clongc985) “tap into their pre-subscribed racist tropes”

https://youtu.be/GdMX4IwKx7E

message 16: by Paulo (new)

Paulo Morales | 11 comments Reni in your opinion what are the most relevant actionables keys to end with racism? Big hugs from Chile.

message 17: by Emma (new)

Emma Rutten | 4 comments What do you think about black lives matter leader calling white people subhuman ?

message 18: by Emma (new)

Emma Rutten | 4 comments Do you think people can be racist to white people ?

message 19: by Emma (new)

Emma Rutten | 4 comments “It’s important to note that black men commit nearly half of all murders in this country, which is astounding when you take into consideration the fact that they only make up 12-13 per cent of the population.”

“JAMES”, 26 NOVEMBER 2014
What do you think of this quote

message 20: by Emma (new)

Emma Rutten | 4 comments What do you think of Candance Owens ?

message 21: by Nienke (new)

Nienke Vermaat | 3 comments Hi Reni! I was wondering, when you first started writing this book, did you have a specific target group of readers? Who do you think it it most important for to hear this message?

message 22: by Nienke (new)

Nienke Vermaat | 3 comments Hi Reni! Do you believe that there is such a thing as racism against white people?

message 23: by Kayley (new)

Kayley (kayleymeldrum) | 1 comments How would a white mother raise a mixed race daughter when the father, and his extended family, have completely ignored the child, having nothing to do with her?

message 24: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 20, 2018 05:25PM) (new)

According to you, what are the roots of racism, where does it come from(Edit: I guess I am talking about an emotional, feelings point of view here, but the question is obviously opened)? And when did it appear? Is it during the colonization period or earlier?

Also, do you think education may be one of the key to solve racism? How to educate people, where to do that and who should do that? Do you have other solutions in mind?

message 25: by Abi (new)

Abi | 18 comments Hi Emma - thank you very much for recommending this book and for the interview you are about to conduct.
Hi Reni - thank you hugely for such a profoundly important book and for allowing us to discuss further with you.

My question is - I have been thinking about how to bring about discussions in my family that can be meaningful and insightful. I appreciated your closing words of your thoughts for the future with this book, but what advice would you give to a white woman in her mid thirties, who is trying to enlighten her inner and outer world and those around her to the institutionalised racism that goes on, as well as the privilege and advantages given to white people all the time? What needs to be done *first* to challenge and change things? I've been starting by talking endlessly about your book, but feel I need to do something more tangible, without knowing really where to begin.

message 26: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Sheen  | 23 comments I don't have anything to really contribute to this discussion, but I have to smile a bit at the thought that this announcement means that Ms. Eddo-Lodge is about to sit down on-camera to talk to an extremely white person about race!

message 27: by Lui (new)

Lui | 5 comments How do you expect white people to behave when it comes to racism? I am often afraid, that whatever I say might be taken the wrong way and backfire.

message 28: by Suzana (last edited Jun 18, 2018 01:15PM) (new)

Suzana Huguenin | 1 comments Thanks Emma for this community
Hi Reno, I'm a Brazilian librarian and want to ask you what would you teach your child about how not to be a racist person.

message 29: by Pam (last edited Jun 18, 2018 01:48PM) (new)

Pam | 1091 comments Mod
Hello Reni!

You specifically chose to title your book "Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People About Race", in essence excluding white people from the conversation. This beautiful reverse psychology actually did the opposite, it peaked white people's attention and generated some deep discussion about our role in casual and structural racism.

It's been a few months since your book has been released, hopefully the press tour is over and you have been able to reflect on your book's reception. My question is how has the feedback been for you? How do you feel that book has been received?

message 30: by Simone (new)

Simone | 85 comments Thank you Emma for this opportunity ! Here are my questions:

Given the long history of racism and minority being discriminated, they are almost like running in our blood that sometimes we don't even notice the problem, what do you think we can do to change this ?

Do things get better since you worte this book ?

What kind of change or influence are you expecting this book will bring to the world, and have it done its job ?

message 31: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (tbangs) Hey Reni!

No single person can change society, especially when that change may affect the current elite, however following the Royal Wedding, do you think Megan Markle will play a role in the road to change?

She is what I would call "acceptably foreign", in that she is light skinned, beautiful, is never seen sporting natural curls and speaks English with a western accent. There is so much talk about whether the royal family are ready for a coloured princess, and if the UK is ready. It is so frustrating because she claims to be a woman of colour and if the world isn't ready for her, then when will it be ready for us?

message 32: by Arnaud (new)

Arnaud B. | 119 comments Hi Emma
Thank you very much for this interview !

Hi Reni
Do you think movies such as Black Panther or series as Star Trek can have a big impact to reduce racism and make a better world ?

message 33: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments The basis of "white bias" is belived to be unconsciousness bias and mistaken beliefs. Do you think it's time to face this head on. To have bias and prejudice taught as a subjects in school and higher education; where they come from what causes them. methods to identify and avoid such beliefs.

Are we ready for that?

message 34: by Shawn (new)

Shawn Garcia (shawngie) | 6 comments :}

message 35: by Charlene (new)

Charlene Morris | 89 comments What books would you recommend?

message 36: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments For Emma:
Why did you pick this book?

For Reni:
Like Pam, how has the reaction been to the book?
And additionally:
Why did you pick the topics you picked in the book? Why did you decide to write about them, and not other topics, that still would cover racism?

message 37: by Liz (last edited Jun 21, 2018 01:41PM) (new)

Liz Mills | 2 comments Would you agree that title of the book appears to be polarising, but is a response to white people not attempting to understand, the distinct differences in the discrimination experienced because of race as opposed to class in the UK?

message 38: by Agnes Szalkowska (new)

Agnes Szalkowska | 386 comments My first thought is Why should we ask Black people to explain Racism ? why aren't white people teaching about anti racism?

This word was creating by white people so it is in they power to teach anti racism, and explain why racism is not welcome anymore. And to explain why they act like that. In the end we all are human beings.

message 39: by Sascha (new)

Sascha | 391 comments Dear Reni Eddo-Lodge,

when I get you right, one aspect in your book is that you see „color-blindness“ as a problem because it makes people‘s experiences with racism invisible. Someone adopting a „color-blind“ look means that one thinks that racism is no problem any longer as our society seems to have overcome racism. But as this is not true, the „color-blind“ look only invalidates People of Color‘s experiences with the still existing racism in society.

I think now that you are right with this observation. But my question would be: Do you think that a „color-blind“ look could also be helpful in fighting against racism in the long view?

I‘m talking about another kind of „color-blindess“ here where you acknowledge that racism continues to be a problem in society and where you listen to People of Color‘s experiences. But maybe „not seeing“ the color of someone‘s skin and focusing on people‘s personality, their individual attitudes and behaviour, instead could help in the future and maybe it could contribute to unlearn racism if we adopt such a perspective in society, education and in the media?

message 40: by Deb (new)

Deb Berke | 4 comments How can we address racism and sexism simultaneously?

message 41: by Emmanuelle (new)

Emmanuelle (emanelle) | 11 comments What did you want to achieve by writing this book?

message 42: by Kate (new)

Kate (katetakate) | 96 comments Thank you for writing this book, Reni Eddo-Lodge. As a ethnically brown British person, I can relate to much that you've written and concur with your analysis and also I've studied race modules in Sociology. I especially found your "Fear of the Black Planet" poignant and gave me food for thought, and your "Aftermath" chapter in the 2018 edition answered my pondering about how your book was received. I appreciate your perspective and interview with Jessica and thoughts on trans-racial adoption, as it relates closely to my background too, and in short, I can concur that, family relationships are nuanced.

Question 1: I've also read Brit (ish) by Afua Hirsch which I found really powerful and pertinent, what other books on race relations non-fiction or fiction would you recommend?
Brit(ish): On Race, Identity and Belonging Afua Hirsch

Question 2: Please could you share an anecdote from your research/writing process? Perhaps an obstacle you had to overcome, or particular moment you found significant.

message 43: by Sara (new)

Sara | 6 comments Hi Reni,

When reading your book what most surprised me was to learn about your negative experience at Women's Hour and within the feminist movement in general, probably since I've built feminism up in my head to be a very inclusive movement. Do you still find that feminism is divided in the same way today? In the five years since Women's Hour, do you still find yourself being portrayed as the "angry black women" by other feminists? Do you still find that you are often the only black person in the room?

message 44: by Juliette (new)

Juliette | 1 comments Hi everyone !
Some of my questions for Reni Eddo-Lodge would be :
What are your next projects ? How do you plan to pursue your work ?
Have people experienced your book as you thought they would ? Have your book been welcomed ?

Thanks for this beautiful opportunity !
Have a good day.
Juliette

message 45: by Emma (new)

Emma Conant (emmaconant) | 7 comments Hi Reni, I'm a fifteen and live in a predominantly white high school and town where I too am part of the ever large white population. I often hear many half jokingly racial slurs from many of the students in my grade and school (especially the guys) and there is no body there to really put them in their place. I also participate in the very small Women Empowerment Club at my school that most people treat as a bad omen. Whenever I tell them that I'm part of the club I often get an eye roll or people ask me if I'm "One of those White Feminists".

What are some ways do you think we can bring and incorporate the discussion of race and sexism into schools in order to educate students like those in my grade?

Thank you so much!

message 46: by Preeti (new)

Preeti | 4 comments Hi Emma and Reni,

the first step towards solving an issue is by identifying the issue, which has been done and is continuing to be done.

But, what else is being done?

What do we do now?

message 47: by Erika Hope (new)

Erika Hope Spencer (erikahope) | 4 comments Your book was truly eye-opening for many white women. Do you feel like it comes across as irritating or presumptuous to hear well-meaning white women speak on the topic of racism? Even if they are genuinely trying to "wake up" from the "Dream" as described by Ta-Nehisi Coates, can you be a credible advocate when you can't actually know first hand what it feels like to experience racism and more specifically when you still benefit from the privilege of your whiteness?

message 48: by Pranav (new)

Pranav Krishna | 4 comments Hello Emma and Reni.
First,I would like to thank Emma for recommending the book and next, I would like to thank Reni for writing this beautiful and humane book.
As an author,you have written a book talking about a social issue that needs our attention right now. What are the changes you have personally seen after the book was published?
What more can the readers of this book do to solve the issue and are more number of people who were previously ignorant about the existence of structural racism and its problems ready to talk about it after reading the book?
Hoping to get your answer.
Thank You

message 49: by Jo, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Jo (jo_9) | 373 comments Mod
Sorry this topic is now closed :)
Thanks for your questions!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.