Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Split 3 different authors

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by lou. (new)

lou. (laloulou) | 8 comments Hi everyone,
although I am a (newbie) librarian I could not split 3 different authors, all of them named Norma Miller.
I tried to add spaces in between [name_surname], but it seems I failed.

1. Norma Miller the swing performer (2 books)
2. Norma Miller author of historical Annales (3 books)
3. Norma Miller a recipes books writer

What can I do to simplify the splitting procedure?
Thank you for your kind guidance.

message 2: by Abcdarian (last edited Jun 17, 2018 07:47AM) (new)

Abcdarian | 23370 comments You need to change the author name on the books, not just on the author profile. When you change the profile it changes the author name on all the books attached.

You've created a 3-space profile for the swing performer, which is fine. You need to sort out the recipe books, probably as the 1-space author since there are more of those, and the historicals as the 2-space. You can do this with the disambiguate tool (quickest way, do one author at a time), or each book one at a time.

message 3: by lou. (new)

lou. (laloulou) | 8 comments Abcdarian wrote: "You need to change the author name on the books, not just on the author profile. When you change the profile it changes the author name on all the books attached...

Ouch, right. Thank you! :)
Ok then, seems I have to start now.

message 4: by Abcdarian (new)

Abcdarian | 23370 comments If you have any trouble, feel free to post again. :-)

message 5: by lou. (new)

lou. (laloulou) | 8 comments Thank you again :)

Well, I'm done with the (little) work on the 'swinging queen' and the classical Roman history scholar. I think I only have to wait to verify if I did right, before proceeding with cookbooks...

(fingers crossed)
L.

message 6: by Abcdarian (last edited Jun 17, 2018 09:17AM) (new)

Abcdarian | 23370 comments Looking for the history one; not seeing--? Could you give a link?

Edit: I bet I know what happened; you changed the name and saved at bottom of page? When it's not the first author, you have to save changes on the line beside the name. Working on...

message 7: by Abcdarian (new)

Abcdarian | 23370 comments Well that was more work than expected, as she was second author on so many books. The take-away here is, don't fill an author profile with info unless it has only the books that belong there.

message 8: by lou. (last edited Jun 17, 2018 11:06AM) (new)

lou. (laloulou) | 8 comments First of all, I'm sorry for the late response, I went out for a 'short' walk...

Abcdarian wrote: "Looking for the history one; not seeing--? Could you give a link?

Edit: I bet I know what happened; you changed the name and saved at bottom of page? [cut] "

Yes, I did at first... but lately, I only intervened on the first and the second author, with fewer changes to make, and now it seems everything just ok... you are so much like a magic fairy who did all the work at my place! I owe you the biggest thank you!

Abcdarian wrote: The take-away here is, don't fill an author profile with info unless it has only the books that belong there. "

What a precious hint, I got it! (now...) ;)
l.

message 9: by Abcdarian (new)

Abcdarian | 23370 comments :-D

message 10: by lou. (new)

lou. (laloulou) | 8 comments Abcdarian wrote: ":-D"

:) & <3