Space Opera Fans discussion

Previous BOTM Threads > [BOTM] - INDIE PICK - The Navigator by Steve Merrick

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (last edited Aug 01, 2014 05:12AM) (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) The Navigator by Steve Merrick is our INDIE PICK for August.

The Navigator by Steve Merrick Steve Merrick

"A superbly dark, funny and entertaining romp through the universe with the last survivor of a viral epidemic as our guide and an un-named virus as our narrator. This story begins with the Munich Virus, which wipes out every known population of humanity across the universe, leaving Kego, our schizophrenic nine year old navigator, to fend for himself and return to Earth with the Frozen, those who were lucky enough to be in stasis when the virus struck. We follow Kego on his journey through the cosmos as he stears the Solstice back to Earth to re-establish the human race..."

Are you reading this book? Shout it out in the discussion thread below! Find out who else is reading it. Share your thoughts and links to your reviews. Just remember to be kind and use the spoiler .html so you don't spoil the fun!

message 2: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 883 comments Mod
It's not encouraging when he can't even do a brief blurb without a typo.

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) :-(

[*won't comment further so I don't step into anything*]

message 4: by Steph (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 303 comments I read this a while back. Yes, it has typos, but it's an unusual story and more memorable than most indie offerings. I think it's since been updated so I think I'll read it again.

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) It sounds intriguing, a story told from the POV of a virus and a nine-year-old. Something different. I always enjoy something different. :-)

message 6: by Steph (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 303 comments I've downloaded the new version from Smashwords and I'm reading it again. I'd forgotten how bizarre some bits are. And strangely poetic.

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Steph wrote: "...And strangely poetic..."

All I could think of was in the movie Beetlejuice when the little girl Delia says something along those lines :-) Sometimes, it's fun to read something that isn't the usual plain old vanilla ice cream.

message 8: by Steph (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 303 comments Well, I read it again. In my original review I mentioned it needed an editor's touch; unfortunately, the latest ebook version still does. It is an unusual story, which follows the trials and tribulations of the reluctant and unstable hero Kero as he brings cryogenically-frozen survivors back to repopulate Earth. Despite its rough edges, I still like it a lot. Of course, that could be a symptom of the virus narrator worming its way from my Kobo into my brain...

message 9: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Steph wrote: "Of course, that could be a symptom of the virus narrator worming its way from my Kobo into my brain..."

Hah!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Navigator (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Steve Merrick (other topics)