Play Book Tag discussion

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)
This topic is about A Game of Thrones
Archive: Other Books > A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Magdalena | 414 comments Game of Thrones is about a group of power hungry families in a kind of medieval fantasy world and then a side story of a dragon girl that doesn't really fit with the rest.

It took me almost a month to finish this. I did like parts of it; the world building is pretty well done and there's certainly plenty of characters with rich and complex backstories but I also had some problems.

For starters all his female characters where either manipulative and conniving, pathetic and weak or basically just acted like guys in female bodies.

Another thing was the direwolves. I thought they where a really interesting idea but ended up being a little disappointing. They where supposed to be these big, magical beasts but most of the time they just acted like dogs who occasionally bit people. Maybe they become more powerful in the next book?

But anyway speaking of the next book I probably will read it because I like historical fiction and fantasy more then almost any other genre and this was pretty sweeping and epic (although I don't know how anyone can compare this to Lord of the Rings) and even if this review doesn't show it and I had some problems I did think some of it was really well done.

Susie | 4488 comments I really liked this book, but I also love the show and in a rare event have decided to choose the show over the books. Did you hear they are making a prequel series?

Tracy (tstan) | 1237 comments I’m in a group on Litsy that’s reading a chapter a day of this. While I definitely agree with your points, I’m really liking it, and am having a hard time forcing myself to stop at a chapter.
I’m also hoping the direwolves are more important as the story progresses. My direwolf weighs eight pounds and could tear a mean nib thing off your shoelace. Ok, she’s not a wolf, she’s a mini dachshund. But she thinks she’s fierce...

Magdalena | 414 comments Tracy wrote: "I’m in a group on Litsy that’s reading a chapter a day of this. While I definitely agree with your points, I’m really liking it, and am having a hard time forcing myself to stop at a chapter.
I’m ..."

Lol your "direwolf" sounds adorable!
I don't know if I'd be able to read this one chapter at a time, when I start reading I usually have a hard time stopping! The main reason it took me so long to finish it was I got bogged down near the end.

Susie wrote: "I really liked this book, but I also love the show and in a rare event have decided to choose the show over the books. Did you hear they are making a prequel series?"

I hadn't heard about a prequel, that's exciting! I just started the series and I'm enjoying it, it's a little different from the books but for once I don't mind.

Susie | 4488 comments I agree Magdalena. It’s so well done, even when it does deviate. It later seasons it deviates dramatically from the books, so I’ll been told.

KateNZ | 2667 comments I’m another one who’s chosen the show over the books. Total fangirl, lol.

I really enjoyed the first two books, three was ok, but four was a massive struggle and I gave up on 5 after less than 100 pages. It went from a pretty taut and interesting story in the early books to a rambling and unfocused mess, and the writing gets very bogged down in description or lumbering dialogue. Give me the quicker resolution of the show with a lot of the convolutions ironed out. And dragons to look at :) I honestly don’t care if George RR never finishes Winds of Winter 🤫

Susie | 4488 comments And Jon Snow to look at. 😉

KateNZ | 2667 comments Now that you mention it, Susie ...

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Susie wrote: "And Jon Snow to look at. 😉"

And now Jon Snow (Kit Harrington) is married to Ygritte (Rose Leslie)😥

KateNZ | 2667 comments Pretty couple :)

I wonder how often she’s tempted to tell him he knows nothing, though - they must either love or hate that line!

Susie | 4488 comments I love her. She is great in The Good Fight.