The YA Book Club discussion

Book Recommendations > I NEED A BOOK ASAP!!!

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emilie (new)

Emilie I have been searching through all the bookshops and libraries but I can’t find a good book.

I’m looking for a book kinda like the Hunger Games. A sci-fi or fantasy with a pinch of romance. Pls reply!!! Thank you<3

message 2: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 128 comments You could try the Under the Never Sky series by Veronica Rossi. Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1) by Veronica Rossi

For straight fantasy, you could try the Shadowfell trilogy by Juliet Marillier. Shadowfell (Shadowfell, #1) by Juliet Marillier

You can even try my trilogy, if you like. :-) The Heir (Verindon, #1) by Lynne Stringer

ur evil stepmum  (localbooklover_) I recommend Vampire Academy, It fits MOST of your descriptions. It's a really great story, and It has an even better spinoff series. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!

message 4: by Emilie (new)

Emilie Thank You!!! You guys are life savers (literally)
🙃🙃🙃

message 5: by Lina (new)

Lina | 539 comments I also recommend the Vampire Academy series, it never disappoints.

message 6: by Britnee (last edited Jun 16, 2018 10:00AM) (new)

Britnee Weir | 11 comments To Kill a Kingdom :) one of the best books I've read this year. It's kind of fantasy based, with a little romance. It's about a siren.

message 7: by J.C. (new)

J.C. (jcrudolph) | 1 comments Hi Emilie.

I'd like to suggest my book Leah Allyne Princess of Veldure: The Discovery of Self. It's young adult sci-fi/fantasy. If you have a kindle or the kindle app download the free sample from amazon. It's the first 2 1/2 chapters :)

It's about a girl who discovers that she's a princes...from another planet! She has to come into her powers, keep from being kidnapped and make it safely to her planet so she can take the throne.

Whatever book you choose, happy reading!

amazon.com/author/jcrudolph

Georgia’s OG Otaku (gabookbelle) “Caraval” by Stephanie Garner is amazing if you love magic, mystery and carnivals.
“Gone” by Michael Grant is good dystopian where people start vanishing into thin air.
“Red Queen” by Victoria Aveyard is a wonderful story of a separated society by either red or silver blood and silvers have powers. Strong female lead. Great story!

message 9: by Emilie (new)

Emilie Thank you for all the book recommendations!!!
I can't wait to test the books out (☆^ー^☆)

message 10: by Corine (new)

Corine (alltheprettywords) | 3 comments I just finished the "True Reign" series. It's a trilogy. I actually liked the spin off series from it "Reign of Secrets" even better. The author is Jennifer Anne Davis. It's got princes, princesses, villains, romance, and lots of secrets! And awesome characters.

I couldn't put them down!

Also- "The Casquette Girls" and "The Romeo Catcher" were fun reads. Magic, New Orleans, all the paranormal and of course some romance ;) The third book isn't out yet.

message 11: by Corine (last edited Jun 18, 2018 12:36PM) (new)

Corine (alltheprettywords) | 3 comments Also since you said "Sci-fi" and "fantasy" I am on the third book of "The Tainted Accords" series. I got to tell ya.. it's a little out there but I've come to really enjoy it. One world of fire and one world of ice that hate each other but needeach other to co-exist. And the main heroine is forced to wear a veil by her evil mother... I don't want to say anymore in case of ruining anything.

Lots of curse words though so if that offends you in anyway then it may not be for you.

message 12: by Stefani (new)

Stefani Crook (bookwormstefani) | 16 comments The Vampire Academy series is really good. I highly recommend them. Vampire Academy

message 13: by Raymond (new)

Raymond Crane (goodreadscom-booksiecom) | 18 comments maybe it's not appropriate to recommend one of my own books but this I do. I'm sure you would enjoy any of them. - Raymond Crane

message 14: by Emilie (new)

Emilie Raymond wrote: "maybe it's not appropriate to recommend one of my own books but this I do. I'm sure you would enjoy any of them. - Raymond Crane"

Hi Raymond,
if you think it matches my description i'd be more than happy to try them out :-)

message 15: by Rey (new)

Rey (NabilaReysaP) | 3 comments Hi Emilie,

I suggest you read “The Selection series” by Kiera Cass. It’s basically “the Hunger Games”, but the objective is to survive a royal engagement. It’s very good👍

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa D | 15 comments Throne of Glass. There’s a badass protagonist and a bit of romance. The story gets complex throughout the series.

message 17: by Barely Competent (new)

Barely Competent (barelycompetent) | 30 comments I recommend Graceling It's one of my all time favorites and quite like the Hunger Games

message 18: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodys_gr) Lina wrote: "I also recommend the Vampire Academy series, it never disappoints."

Amen!

message 19: by Isabella (new)

Isabella (isayouthere) | 8 comments I recently read the first book in the Grisha Trilogy, Shadow and Bone, by Leigh Bardugo, and I really enjoyed it!

message 20: by Emilie (new)

Emilie Thank u everyone

message 21: by Liz (new)

Liz (bizyreader) | 4 comments I'm going to second To Kill A Kingdom! So good!!

message 22: by Manz (new)

Manz | 6 comments I also recommend the Vampire Academy Series - currently reading and it does not disappoint! The first book is slow, and kind of eye-rolling but it's needed because the characters grow so much. (I'm on the 5th book now).

Also, the Penryn & the end of days Series by Susan Ee is really good too. First book is Angelfall. I think I'm going to re-read it and I've never re-read a book before.

message 23: by Lyvia (new)

Lyvia (kiwwit) I would highly recommend The Knife of Never Letting Go, it's one of my favorite scifi fantasy series ever!
Also, I recently read The Belles and the whole setting reminded me a lot of the capital in Hunger Games. Hope you'll find something you'll enjoy :) Happy reading!

message 24: by Santosh (new)

Santosh Deshpande | 1 comments Emilie,

There are several beautiful books out there, every author has a different narration in his/her own style.
And I specifically cannot suggest one right book for you... but you can give my book a try, "In this World..." which is the first part of the Trilogy series, "The Purpose of You..." - A young girls narrative who is haunted by dreams and like any other tale, she falls in love with a guy, but the strangest thing is she falls in love with him, before she actually meets him in reality and from there she is entwined in strange incidents... and finally she is left, broken and blooded.

This is currently available on Amazon Kindle @ 0 $, so you can give it a try...

https://www.amazon.com/This-World-Sag...

In This World...: The Saga of an Eternal Journey

message 25: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Sugar Emilie wrote: "I have been searching through all the bookshops and libraries but I can’t find a good book.

I’m looking for a book kinda like the Hunger Games. A sci-fi or fantasy with a pinch of romance. Pls rep..."

Have you ever read "The Dead Zone" by Stephen King? (It's a real page-turner.)

message 26: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Jones I highly recommend this adventure: Gestation by John Gold! This has sci-fi (set in 24th century space) and is about a virtual reality game with a fantasy twist (the game is set in the medieval times). Lots of psychological drama! And the best part? There are 3 books out!

message 27: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Sugar P.S. I'm completely biased but I really like this book. (It's a fantasy/romance.)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079YKZL9L

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

message 29: by Hallie (new)

Hallie Goodway (halliegoodway) | 1 comments You can try Kissed by a Demon by Hallie Goodway. Kissed by a Demon (Kissed By, #1) by Hallie Goodway :) It's more of a YA Fantasy Romance like that of Cassandra Clare (if you have read any of her books).

Amazon link: mybook.to/kissedbyademon
GR Book: Kissed by a Demon
GR Author:Hallie Goodway

message 30: by Ava05 (new)

Ava05 | 65 comments Have you read Divergent by Veronica Roth? There's also Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer is a good, engaging series. Rewritten fairy tales, sci-fi, and a dash of romance. Good characters. Decent world building. It starts with Cinder. There’s also the Throne of Glass series that Sarah J Maas has just finished, and her ongoing Court of Thorns and Roses series. I agree with above. The Red Queen series is a good pick as well.

message 32: by Bridgett (new)

Bridgett Murphy | 22 comments Time Shifters is probably ideal. A little danger, a little romance, some interesting scifi ideas and plenty of adventure.

message 33: by Gloria (new)

Gloria Grossi (gloriagrossi) | 2 comments I know the right book for you. In Between my Mark Cindell. You can get a copy now, It is currently free. https://www.amazon.com/BETWEEN-MARK-C...

message 34: by Gloria (new)

Gloria Grossi (gloriagrossi) | 2 comments H.R. wrote: "The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer is a good, engaging series. Rewritten fairy tales, sci-fi, and a dash of romance. Good characters. Decent world building. It starts with Cinder. There’s also t..."

I know the right book for you. In Between my Mark Cindell. You can get a copy now, It is currently free. https://www.amazon.com/BETWEEN-MARK-C...

message 35: by Jade (new)

Jade Browne (jadeb248) | 41 comments One of Us is Lying has mystery! I just finished reading it One of Us Is Lying

Emilie wrote: "I have been searching through all the bookshops and libraries but I can’t find a good book.

I’m looking for a book kinda like the Hunger Games. A sci-fi or fantasy with a pinch of romance. Pls rep..."