The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

FALL CHALLENGE 2014 > Fall Challenge 2014: Task Ideas

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17400 comments Mod
It's time to start thinking about fun tasks for the Fall Challenge. The bonus theme is "A Year of Board Games: Risk"

As in past challenges, some tasks may revolve around the seasonal theme of Fall. Others may reflect the bonus theme. Other tasks may have nothing to do with either of these themes, they’re just fun ideas for unique reading challenges.

Feel free to post as many ideas as you can come up with. Don't worry about repeating what another player might have already suggested. The more ideas, the better!

The moderators will draw from these ideas as well as their own to create the 5, 10, and 15 point tasks. We look forward to seeing what you come up with!

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7514 comments i love seeing this thread pop up and then I think oh crap - so many books to erad before the 30 point cut-off ;)

message 3: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 20 comments Risk-
Any book with war as a theme.
Any book with mystery or "taking a risk" is a theme

Fall-
Cozy Reads
Cozy foods on the cover
I love fall leaves-- set in Maine, Vermont- places where the fall leaves are beautiful.
Maple Leaf- read a book set in Canada

Scary books for Halloween
Reread a Turkey- a book you didn't like much
to see if you would like it better on the
second read

message 4: by Meghanly (new)

Meghanly | 325 comments Back-to-School themes: Books with teacher/librarian as a main character, book set in a school, book with school supplies on the cover, a book on the "Books You Should Have Read in High School" list: http://www.buzzfeed.com/spenceralthou...

message 5: by Susan A (last edited Aug 01, 2014 09:04AM) (new)

Susan A Spell R-I-S-K in title

Read a book that takes places in 2 more more continents.

Book description or title includes the work risk (or variation: risky, risked, risking, riskier, riskiest) or strategy (strategies, strategize...)

message 6: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 20 comments Read a book with Adventure on the genre list.

message 7: by Tammy AZ (new)

Tammy AZ (tammyaz) | 864 comments To inject some strategy in for those who don't regularly finish and to get some of the 5 and 10 point tasks utilized more frequently, award bonus points to readers who complete all of the tasks in the 5 point list and the 10 point list. It wouldn't affect the finishers but may impact mid-point or final standing.

message 8: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3606 comments BACK TO SCHOOL - read a book you should have read in high school - see this list: https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

BACK TO SCHOOL - read a book with "literature" or "writing" on main page

HISPANIC HERITAGE MONTH - read a book set in a Spanish-speaking country

BANNED BOOKS WEEK - read a book from one of these lists (specify the list and the page number) - https://www.goodreads.com/list/tag/ba...

BREAST CANCER AWARENESS - read a book with a pink cover

COLUMBUS DAY - Discover new lands - read a book set in a different CONTINENT from where you live

COLUMBUS DAY - read a book with a ship on the cover

THANKSGIVING - read a book with "family" or "food" on the main page

VETERAN'S DAY - read a book featuring a member of the military (active or veteran)

HALLOWEEN / DAY OF THE DEAD - read a book with a skull or skeleton on the cover (partial skeleton is okay)

message 9: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 1488 comments I always love seeing the great ideas.

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 01, 2014 02:42PM) (new)

~Since the game rules of Risk involved rolling dice and the world is divided into 6 continents , assign each continent from the game to a number on the dice and read a book set in the country you roll .

~If you read a book set in each of their 6 continents from the game, then you get a bonus point amount for completing them all .

~Since the original rules were written in 1959 and they mention Wild Cards, add a bonus point challenge called Wild Card if you read a book written in 1959 .

~Since school is just getting under way during this time frame, require a "book report " on the book you complete .

~Read a book with your OWN high school team colors or mascot on the cover . Required would be the name of your team or colors of your school .

~ YA - read a book set in high school to relive your high school days through the book you read . You could even read one that you would have read in your high school years . ( I'll have to move the Dinosaurs and dust them off before using MINE ) :)

~Thanksgiving comes during this time frame, so read a nonfiction book about a family that has a reason to be thankful for something that happened in their lives .

Look at a song that was on the number one song charts for the year you graduated high school. Read a book whose title has one word from that song in the title of the book . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_...

*** I like the idea above where you get bonus points for completing all the small point challenges ,such as the 5 pointers !

message 11: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 468 comments Take a risk

Go to your local library, book store, or browse a random listopia on goodreads. Close your eyes and point to a book. Read whatever book you point to.

message 12: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Take a Risk: Go into your local library or bookstore and ask them for a book recommendation or what their favorite book is. Read that book. If they ask what your preferred genre is, tell them you are trying to expand your horizons and just want to know what they would recommend.

Australia for the win: Many strategies for winning the game of risk center around the continent of Australia. Read a book set in Australia or by an Australian author.

Build up your troops: The more troops you have, the better chance you have of winning. Read a "big book" - over 500 pages.

message 13: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 468 comments Something spooky

Read a book about something that scares you personally. The book doesn't have to be scary, just the topic (ex: I could read about a plane crash or climbing Everest as I'm afraid of heights!).

message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7514 comments 5. The creator of RISK was a French film maker who won an Oscar later the same year.

The game of RISK, originally called “La Conquête du Monde”, was created by Albert Lamorisse, who won the Academy Award for Best Writing/Best Original Screenplay for his short film “The Red Balloon” in 1956.

read a book that was originally written in french, by a french writer, set in france

message 15: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7514 comments Risk is a turn-based game for two to six players -
- read a book that is from 2-6 in a series

The standard version is played on a board depicting a political map of the Earth, divided into forty-two territories, which are grouped into six continents.
- read a book with 4, 2 in the page count

message 16: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 969 comments I've enjoyed the music/lyric tasks in the past.

Halloween is right around the corner. According to Wikipedia, in August 1962, "Monster Mash" was released as a single and was #1 on the Hot 100 Chart from October 20-27 of that year, just before Halloween and has been a perennial holiday favorite ever since.

Read a book with a title/subtitle that contains a word found in the lyrics.

message 17: by Janice (new)

Janice  | 653 comments Jennifer W wrote: "Something spooky

Read a book about something that scares you personally. The book doesn't have to be scary, just the topic (ex: I could read about a plane crash or climbing Everest as I'm afraid o..."

I love this idea. It would be interesting to learn the variety of situations that scare people. I always like the tasks that reveal a bit of the reader's personality.

A few more suggestions:

Labor Day: Read a work memoir written by an author with what might be considered a "dirty job". For example, farmer, mortician, miner, or maid would all work as would many others.

Read an author whose last name ends in "son" representing the onset letters for September, October, and November. I think there would be a lot of choices. I have a Wilson, Simpson, and Masson just on my first few TBR pages.

message 18: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Read a book with the letters R I S K found in the title.

Read a book where the main character is at risk of something (to make it simpler, this can be defined physically - e.g. risk of dying, risk of drug addiction).

Read a book that is set in any country. There must be something on the cover that is of the same colour associated with that territory where the country belongs (see the last image here). E.g. If I read something set in the US, there must be something yellow on the book cover.

message 19: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2387 comments Dee wrote: "5. The creator of RISK was a French film maker who won an Oscar later the same year.

The game of RISK, originally called “La Conquête du Monde”, was created by Albert Lamorisse, who won the Academ..."

I've seen The Red Balloon and it's very good. It's a largely silent film, dependent on images and music. I had no idea the writer created the board game RISK.

Read a book about music or film, or with a musician or filmmaker as a protagonist.

Katherine (DirectorKat) (directorkat) | 64 comments September is National Courtesy Month read a book with Please or Thank you in the title or subtitle.

September 16th is Mexican Independence Day. In honor read a book that takes place in Mexico, written by a Mexican, or originally written in Spanish.

September 19th is International Talk Like A Pirate Day! Read a book about a Pirate.

October is Clergy Appreciation Month. Read a book with a religious symbol on the cover.

October 4th is International Frugal Fun Day. Read a book that you got for free.

October 31st is Increase Your Psychic Powers Day. Read a book with a psychic in it.

November is National Sleep Comfort Month. Read a book with a sleeping person on the cover.

November 1st is Book Lovers Day. Reread a book of your choice.

November 22nd is Go For a Ride Day. Read a book that has a mode of transportation on the cover.

message 21: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine (pikakejazz) I love those school-themed challenges (for people like me who are no longer in school but kind of miss it every fall)! Maybe we could do something that is based on school subjects (math/science/foreign language/PE/art/music) rather than items/letters/etc.

For example, something like this??:
School Subject-Foreign Language: read a book in a foreign language you have studied in school, a book by an author not writing in his/her native tongue, or a book that is about someone learning a foreign language.

(I've been really wanting to re-read some of my favorite books in another language.)

message 22: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine (pikakejazz) I also like the interactive tasks (where readers have to participate in the selection of another person's book). Maybe we can do something where you list three books (one from your to-read shelf, one from your currently reading shelf, and one from your read shelf, maybe??) and then the next person picks one for themself to read. (That way the last person isn't waiting a month for the next person to pick their read for them.)

message 23: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1091 comments Read a book written by an author with initials contained in the words AUTUMN or FALL.

message 24: by Deana (new)

Deana (ablotial) | 284 comments read a non-fiction book about a war
read a fiction book taking place during a war
read a book where the main character is in the military

message 25: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1322 comments Fall is a great time to get outdoors

Read a book where people are camping, hiking, road trip

Read a book with a fall harvest on the cover (pumpkins, squash, corn, apples...)

Start bundling up
Read a book with a person wearing an outdoor jacket on the cover (suit jackets don't count).

Mocking Jay and The Maze Runner come out this fall, read a dystopian.

message 26: by Samantha McNulty (new)

Samantha McNulty | 71 comments Jennifer W wrote: "Take a risk

Go to your local library, book store, or browse a random listopia on goodreads. Close your eyes and point to a book. Read whatever book you point to."

Love this idea!

message 27: by Shauna (last edited Aug 11, 2014 09:43PM) (new)

Shauna | 186 comments *Read a book that takes place on one of the 6 Risk continents and whose cover is at least 50% that continents color according to the Risk map.

*Read a book by an author whose first AND last initials can be found in “ANTARCTICA” (the only continent that is not part of the game).

*Read a book with a castle on the cover (Castle Risk Edition) OR a book that takes place in the future (Risk: 2210 AD Edition).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risk_(game)

message 28: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 734 comments RISK was produced by Parker Brothers, a division of Hasbro. Read a book about brothers OR with the word brother, brothers, or brotherhood in the title, subtitle or series name OR has "bro" located in the title or author's name.

message 29: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne | 592 comments Fall makes me think of the beautiful foliage colors: red, yellow, brown, orange
~ read a book with a fall color in the title
~ read a book with a word in the title composed only of letters in the fall colors listed
~ read a book with a fall color in the author's name
~ read a book with a fall color on the cover
~ read a book with a fall landscape on the cover

Another variation would be to use more interesting variations of the fall colors listed above. Just a few examples: Bronze, amber, burgundy, gold, brick, ochre, mustard, persimmon, rust, ...