Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

SecondWorld
This topic is about SecondWorld
Group Reads Archive > August 2014 Random Read Group Read: Secondworld by Jeremy Robinson *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (last edited Aug 20, 2014 08:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 4691 comments Mod
SecondWorld is our August group read. Feel free to jump in and discuss the book with us.

You can add questions for other readers if you want, just use bold codes. (b) before and (/b) after your question. Substitute < and > for ( and ).

Optional Discussion Questions

1. What did you think of Lincoln Miller, the protagonist? How is he uniquely equipped to save the day?
2. Whats was your favorite plot element or twist and why?
3. Does the science sound feasible? How did you feel about the incredible conspiracy that reached all the way through the infastructure of the United States government?
4. Who was your favorite character, Miller or otherwise and why?
5. Does the action and suspense live up to your high expectations? What scenes did you like the best?
6. Was this surprising in any way or too predictable?
7. What was your overall rating out of 1-5 stars or 1-10?
8. Which books would you recommend to people who liked this book?
9. Any questions you'd like to pose to other participants in the read?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 4691 comments Mod
I started this yesterday. I had to turn it off because the beginning is kind of disturbing. I'll keep it up but probably not at bedtime.

Travis (travistousant) | 362 comments Hadn't planned on reading this but since the only Jeremy Robinson novel I've read was a bit too YA for me I picked up a copy this morning to give him another try. I'll start sometime this week.

message 4: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa P | 1965 comments Mod
I've only read one book by Jeremy Robinson and that was The Didymus Contingency which I really enjoyed! I will try to start on this one soon.

Travis (travistousant) | 362 comments That's the same one I read Lisa and just wasn't really my thing... if more of the series went on sale I might read the next one just to see where it goes though.

Travis (travistousant) | 362 comments Scratch that I own that book and haven't read it yet. It was a different book I read.

Travis (travistousant) | 362 comments So far I haven't wanted to put this down. Must know what happens next. I see where you could call the opening disturbing Danielle

Travis (travistousant) | 362 comments I may have to reread Rollins Black Order which I believe also dealt with the Nazi "bell"

Travis (travistousant) | 362 comments Finished this was good and pretty action packed right until the end. And then it ended. Abruptly with no cool down.

message 11: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Travis of NNY wrote: "Finished this was good and pretty action packed right until the end. And then it ended. Abruptly with no cool down."

Did it end on a cliffhanger? I hope not.

Travis (travistousant) | 362 comments No cliffhanger. The action or suspense just went to the last line basically. Everything was pretty well tidied up one way or another though.

message 13: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new) - rated it 3 stars

I got my copy...should be starting it soon.

message 14: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (last edited Aug 15, 2014 08:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I exchanged my Playaway copy for the print book. I have started it again and will try to get further in as soon as time permits.

message 15: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (last edited Aug 16, 2014 06:29PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) wrote: "I started this yesterday. I had to turn it off because the beginning is kind of disturbing. I'll keep it up but probably not at bedtime."

I agree, definitely disturbing...I'm about 25% in now and do like the action so far (after that first opening scene). If the book continues on as in the beginning, I don't think I would be able to finish it. Hopefully, the worst is behind me now.

Travis (travistousant) | 362 comments There's really nothing that graphic except a page near the end and I'm not sure it was as graphic. You could skip that page or two when you get there and be OK to finish without missing anything important

I finished this yesterday and I loved this book. I'm glad I was able to get past that first scene. So don't give up, Lisa. I think if you like Matthew Reilly and James Rollins, you'll enjoy this.

I am posting discussion questions as we speak.

Justin this book was great fast paced action packed. liked the follow up novella I am Cowboy also

Justin Also any fan of Jeremy Robinson I'd recommend James Rollins

message 20: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new) - rated it 3 stars

I just realized that I never posted once I finished this story. I did enjoy it and would definitely like to read more of his stuff.

What brought me back to this thread was a deal I came across today. It is a short story by Jeremy Robinson about Milos Vesely ("The Cowboy" character from Secondworld). I did enjoy his character in SecondWorld and thought it might be fun to read. It is called Nazi Hunter: Atlantis, previously called I Am Cowboy I Am Cowboy (Milos Vesely) by Jeremy Robinson .

Amazon has it at $0.99 for Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/Nazi-Hunter-Atl...