Leadership and Management discussion

Book Discussions > Currently Discussing: Motivated to Succeed: Inspirational Selections from John C. Maxwell

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dominic (last edited Jul 31, 2014 11:31PM) (new)

Dominic McLoughlin | 59 comments Mod
As requested in our 'Suggestions for Books to Discuss', we are now reading and discussing:

Motivated to Succeed: Inspirational Selections from John C. Maxwell

Looking forward to hearing what people think!

Feel free to write a line or two about each chapter as you get through it.

message 2: by Dominic (new)

Ok, I'm going to go out on a limb here. I really liked "The 21 Indispensable Qualities of a Leader". I'm only early in the book and It seems to be a 'course' that is not aimed at the general reader.

However, it is early days, and the overall messages are useful so far.

What do others think?

message 3: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 8 comments I am so not disappointed with this book. The message is clear and I want to spread the word to all the negative Nellys I am stuck with at work! One rotten attitude can destroy a team. I see it everyday. So far loving this book!

message 4: by James (new)

James | 7 comments "Good attitudes among players do not guarantee a team's success, but bad attitudes guarantee its failure." --John Maxwell

"The winner's edge is not in a gifted birth, in a high IQ, or in talent. The winner's edge is in the attitude, not aptitude" -- Denis Waitley

I really liked the part where 6 common rotten attitudes are listed and described as a way to troubleshoot what you are seeing if it's showing up on your team. Great pick!

message 5: by Dominic (new)

There are spme very important points made in this book. Perhaps the most imprtant, but still not universally embraced is that people are the most important asset in an organisation.

Some other points I really liked are: attitude and ability make the most impact, forget the past and focus on the future. Some of the points made may seem obvious, but I think they are a good reminder and are accompanied by real examples.

This is a book that makes alot of sense and is an easy to read format.

One minor criticism is that it would be that having access to the readings he refers to at the end of each chapter.