LITTLE BOOK CLUB discussion

AUGUST | Ready Player One > Level One | Ch.1-16

Comments Showing 1-50 of 106 (106 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Caz (littlebookowl) (littlebookowl) | 114 comments Mod
Discussion time!
How are you liking the book so far?
What are your thoughts on the world-building?
First impressions of characters?

*SPOILERS for up to chapter 16 present below*

message 2: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (gondorianjedi) okay so Im only on page 2, I had to take a break to look up the song dead man's party on youtube because i'd never heard it before.

It's so 80s and weird: http://youtu.be/iypUpv9xelg

message 3: by Doppelganger (new)

Doppelganger | 56 comments Kirsty wrote: "okay so Im only on page 2, I had to take a break to look up the song dead man's party on youtube because i'd never heard it before.

It's so 80s and weird: http://youtu.be/iypUpv9xelg"

I quite like it ^_^

thats one of the biggest parts that make this book so much fun: you can just immerse yourself in the flood of 80ies references.

message 4: by Vanya (new)

Vanya | 13 comments I almost didn't pick it up, as the synopsis sounded a bit 'meh' to me. It's not a genre I naturally levitate towards. Being about 20 pages into the book, however, I am really enjoying it. I also found the first two chapters on Youtube. The person that uploaded them included some of the references, and it's really fun to watch/listen. If you are about to start I recommend you check them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNblO...

message 5: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (jumpingovermountains) Beatrice wrote: "The idea of the Easter Egg put into a video game for every one to find it and win this grand prize kind of reminds me of Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory, how everyone keeps on buying chocolat..."

My copy has "Willy Wonka meets The Matrix" written on the cover, which seems a pretty accurate description so far!

message 6: by Shae (new)

Shae Costakis | 10 comments I'm loving this book so much so far. I get a lot of the references already, but when I come across something I'm not familiar with, I look it up. This has given me not only a book to enjoy, but also songs and movies as well. It's like the ultimate entertainment package!

message 7: by Nika (new)

Nika (nacitana_ljama) Willy Wonka meets The Matrix is perfect description. It was the first thing that came across my mind when I started the book. So accurate!
Thos will be a good book, I know it already.

message 8: by Shatha (new)

Shatha (idrinktoomuchtea) | 14 comments So far I think it's really cool. A lot of references are flying over my head and I have to look them up when I find the time, but it's interesting. I want to know more about the OASIS, but I guess I'll know more in the next chapters :) I'm glad we're reading this book!

message 9: by Caitie (new)

Caitie | 6 comments I'm really liking it so far. The idea of a hunt in this gaming world is very intriguing and I can't wait to see what twists I'm going to come accross.

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 14 comments level one was spectacular, I'm excited and afraid to see what happens in level two!

message 11: by Marta (new)

Marta (xmarta9) | 4 comments I'm only in chap 2, but so far it looks pretty good. btw, thanks to @Vanya for the YouTube link! :D

message 12: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 69 comments I'm on chapter 3 so far. The whole OASIS thing is really interesting.

message 13: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 14 comments Im only on chapter 3 so far and im loving it i really wanna learn more about the OASIS but i love what i know so far the whole world is so intriguing.

message 14: by Bettielee (new)

Bettielee Slipping into this like an old slipper... I love this book so much. I'm glad to have an excuse to read it ... yet again

message 15: by Bettielee (new)

Bettielee Charlie wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "The idea of the Easter Egg put into a video game for every one to find it and win this grand prize kind of reminds me of Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory, how everyone keeps o..."

I also thought this was like Willy Wonka! :)

message 16: by Shinke (new)

Shinke I'm currently at Chapter 4 and I'm enjoying this book so much. Most of the references are flying over my head because I'm a 90s kid but I'm so engrossed in the story I don't want to stop to look them all up. Does anyone else feel this way?

I hadn't really thought about it being Willy Wonka or The Matrix but now that I think about it, it totally fits. :)

message 17: by Vanya (new)

Vanya | 13 comments Marta wrote: "I'm only in chap 2, but so far it looks pretty good. btw, thanks to @Vanya for the YouTube link! :D"

You are welcome. I am glad to be of help.

Gosh, I've been watching the Vans US Open Of Surfing all week, alongside the book for the past few days, and I am starting to think that my dreams tonight would be a mix of the two. I've reached chapter ten and so far so good. I think I would have enjoyed some more action outside of the simulation, but perhaps I haven't reached that part/time yet. Have fun reading, while I am off to bed. :)

message 18: by Doppelganger (last edited Aug 03, 2014 04:07AM) (new)

Doppelganger | 56 comments Shinke wrote: "I'm currently at Chapter 4 and I'm enjoying this book so much. Most of the references are flying over my head because I'm a 90s kid but I'm so engrossed in the story I don't want to stop to look th..."

On the contrary: for me it is like my own little easter egg hunt. Listening to the music, watching the films.
Like sharing Earnest Cline's passions with him the same way Wade/Parzival shares Halliday's passions.

message 19: by Afreen (new)

Afreen Aftab iam an early 90s kid but the fact that i get a lot of references and get to learn about a different generation is amazing!!!

message 20: by Shell (new)

Shell (shelllovesbooks1) | 1 comments Haven't been able to put this book down. was up till 4am. I get most of the references mainly the films and tv shows. I'm not a big gamer so some of them are going over my head

message 21: by Stephen (new)

Stephen  Alff (AlffBooks) (alffbooks) | 440 comments I find this is quite a slow read, I've been reading pretty much every second since the beginning of the month but I am only on chapter 14 haha

message 22: by Amelia (new)

Amelia Cook | 3 comments The synopsis didn't grip me straight away but now that I'm reading it, I haven't been able to put it down! Wade is an intriguing character and I'm not sure how I'm visualising him at the moment. At some points I got confused as to whether he was in the OASIS or not (also, when does he eat?) I can't wait to continue, I'm so glad this is the book of the month!

message 23: by Leah (new)

Leah (chaletaah) | 3 comments Stephen wrote: "I find this is quite a slow read, I've been reading pretty much every second since the beginning of the month but I am only on chapter 14 haha"
That'S what happens to me, too. It feels like I'm reading all the time but without progressing. Maybe it's because of the mass of facts during reading.

message 24: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 69 comments Stephen wrote: "I find this is quite a slow read, I've been reading pretty much every second since the beginning of the month but I am only on chapter 14 haha"

A slow read? I'm only on chapter 3! Your making awesome progress. ;)

message 25: by BookNerdTori (new)

BookNerdTori I thought the beginning was very very slow until chapter 7 then OMG it got so freaking good! The background story and the Almanac...I WANT THAT ALMANAC! I don't care how long it is I want it now. The references are so cool, I talked about them with my dad and we kind of bonded over them and my dad is so not a reader which was very very cool.

I didn't know how to feel about Wade, but I really liked Aech he was such a card! I love LOVE LOVE Art3mis.

And I just want to say I've never wanted to marry a book so badly lol That sounds weird, but I'll stick with that.

message 26: by Stephen (new)

Stephen  Alff (AlffBooks) (alffbooks) | 440 comments @Leah Yes it is super packed :) but it doesn't make it heavy :)

message 27: by Stephen (new)

Stephen  Alff (AlffBooks) (alffbooks) | 440 comments Kayla wrote: "Stephen wrote: "I find this is quite a slow read, I've been reading pretty much every second since the beginning of the month but I am only on chapter 14 haha"

A slow read? I'm only on chapter 3! ..."

It probably only feels slower ^^ I would like to finish it by tomorrow but I don't see that happening haha

message 28: by Lily (new)

Lily I'm loving this book so far!
I really enjoy the virtual reality and gaming aspect and the way Mr Cline raised the stakes by bringing it into the real world was really cool. The IOI is crazy!
Thanks to my parents, who are passionate about the eighties I get most of the references, which are a very fun aspect to the book. Also the hunt for the keys is exciting and enjoyable to figure out with the characters, who I mostly like. Except Art3mis, who seems like a bit if a cardboard-cutout and only there so Wade falls in love...
But other than that all is very good :)

message 29: by Vanya (new)

Vanya | 13 comments Ah, it won't be a nerdy/geeky book without at least one girl protagonist. We need some action, some challenge. She is always a step behind Wade, it keeps you interested. I really like the OASIS, and can totally see it becoming a reality in 20-30 years - a more interactive and updated version of Wikipedia, with perhaps the visor being a future Google Glass prototype.

message 30: by Vanya (new)

Vanya | 13 comments Not to be a spammer but just found two websites looking for references. Check them out:

http://www.shmoop.com/ready-player-on...

http://letterboxd.com/bbbgtoby/list/e...

message 31: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (vickystar) | 13 comments Really enjoying this so far. I think the world building goes at a good pace, so you're learning about it as you go along but it doesn't feel like the author is just creating aspects to allow for the plot to develop. It feels like he's really thought it through.

I feel like you could never make a movie of this book, because of all the copyrighted material cited.

I was on the edge of my seat during chapters 14-16! Looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

message 32: by Emma (new)

Emma Hall | 8 comments I really love this book. The way it starts out is a bit slow but my interest in learning more about the OASIS really made me want to read more. Once, he solves the riddle you really want to keep reading to see what happens after he finds the keys.
I love the idea of OASIS and could really see that happening in the real world if we continue to bugger up our planet. I think in that sense its a good book to read cause it makes you think about our actions.
I really like the relationship between Wade and Aech. I think Art3mis is good and needs to be there to bring out Wade's competitive side but she is kind of annoying with her feminism.

message 33: by Marie (new)

Marie (faum) | 5 comments I really find this book interesting. All the world building. It's like I never know enough about the OASIS, Halliday and some of the real life stuff. Indeed, when does he eat? I'm really glad I pick this book up.

message 34: by Vanya (new)

Vanya | 13 comments I guess in a world where there is a shortage of food, you kinda get used to not eating? In the first 14 chapters he only eats once (there is a lot of online stuff to get done), and it is an awful powdery mixture. Also, the old lady was offering him powdered eggs, how is that even a thing?

message 35: by Emma (new)

Emma Hall | 8 comments He doesn't talk about going to the bathroom a lot either. I think the writer just doesn't mention it. Most books don't after all

message 36: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 69 comments Stephen wrote: "Kayla wrote: "Stephen wrote: "I find this is quite a slow read, I've been reading pretty much every second since the beginning of the month but I am only on chapter 14 haha"

A slow read? I'm only ..."

I have hopes to finish it soon also.

message 37: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh (kayleighlafollette) | 2 comments I am loving this so far. I agree that it did start out a bit slow but I prefer a slow start to something that feels rushed and half finished. I like the character's too. I really want to know more about the OASIS and IOI and Halliday and Ogden too. I love all the 80's references as well especially the John Hugh's movies!

message 38: by Jennafer (new)

Jennafer (nova616) | 5 comments The world building in the first few chapters is really great, I feel like I've been reading forever and I'm 12 chapters in... but in a good way. I'm excited to continue

message 39: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Giargiano | 1 comments Just downloaded and read level one. I have to say when I started I didn't think id be into
It since I'm not into gaming. However, I'm pretty intrigued!
I think the author really draws you in with his description of what society is like in 2041.

message 40: by Stephen (new)

Stephen  Alff (AlffBooks) (alffbooks) | 440 comments Kayla wrote: "Stephen wrote: "Kayla wrote: "Stephen wrote: "I find this is quite a slow read, I've been reading pretty much every second since the beginning of the month but I am only on chapter 14 haha"

A slow..."

going on to level 2 now ^^

message 41: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (vickystar) | 13 comments Vanya wrote: "I guess in a world where there is a shortage of food, you kinda get used to not eating? In the first 14 chapters he only eats once (there is a lot of online stuff to get done), and it is an awful p..."

Powdered eggs are a real thing! People used to eat them during rationing in WW2. You mix them with water and cook them, and they end up like scrambled eggs.

message 42: by Vanya (new)

Vanya | 13 comments Sorry, my bad. It still doesn't sound very appetizing nor nutritious.

message 43: by Nika (new)

Nika (nacitana_ljama) I really liked Level One. It was a bit slow at the beggining but it was suppose to be like that because it's a world building part. It's so interesting to read about OASIS and I can totally see it happening in the future. It became even more interesting and super intense from 14th chapter and I found myself reading as crazy and unable to stop reading. Such an intriguing book, can't wait to read the rest. I don't have any theories for now because I think I would never guess anything so I don't even try and just let the author to amaze me with every page.

message 44: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 4 comments I loved part one! Hate those IOI guys!

message 45: by Emma (new)

Emma Reid I just finished Level One and I am completely loving this book! I think the world building was pretty simple, but it seems like such a plausible future that not much is needed. I like worlds that seem like they could really happen.
The eighties references are amazing. My parents have raised me with some of those classics (obviously the most important one being WarGames), so I feel pretty in-the-know as I read. I'm also super geeky, so all the Star Wars/Star Trek/superhero references I completely understand. The videogames and computer stuff not quite so much, but enough to keep me afloat.
I adore all the characters and the plot building so far. I really wanted the High Five to band together, and maybe they still will, but maybe not, who can tell at this point? I am loving it so much! Wish the OASIS was real though...

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok so I finished the book and I completely love it.. I just do.. i really really love it

message 47: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 69 comments Even though we just met her, I'm really digging Art3mis. So far I am loving this book!

message 48: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 4 comments Watching WarGames now :)

message 49: by Katelyn (new)

Katelyn (peacelovebooks1) | 2 comments I just finished Level One. I love this book! I'm so glad I picked it up. I thought the first couple chapters were slow and I found some of the gaming references confusing since I'm not a gamer, but I got used to it, now I'm flying through the book. I love Art3mis, but I'm growing suspicious of her and Aech though. I'm hoping Wade doesn't get hurt or betrayed.

message 50: by Marta (new)

Marta (xmarta9) | 4 comments so far it's been quite a slow-paced story, but once you reach chap. 7 things get more and more interesting!!

« previous 1 3