Bodice Ripper Readers Anonymous discussion

The Flesh and the Devil
This topic is about The Flesh and the Devil
Buddy Reads > July 2018 Buddy Read of The Flesh and the Devil

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jun 14, 2018 06:48AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Is anyone interested in a buddy read of The Flesh and the Devil by Teresa Denys The Flesh and the Devil by Teresa Denys?

Set against the dazzling opulence and dangerous intrigue of the 17th c. Spanish court of King Philip IV, this is the story of lovely, spirited young Juana de Arrelanos. Taken against her will from her home and from Jaime de Nueva, the man she loves, she is brought to the massive, magnificent Castillo Benaventes, the home of Bartolomé, Duque de Valenzuela - the man to whom she must be wed. Within the castle's heavy walls the rebellious Juana finds an atmosphere of secrecy, almost of conspiracy, and a number of cunning, sinister figures, chief among whom is the sardonic Felipe Tristán, the Duque's protector and mercenary, behind whose scarred face lie memories of horror Juana can only guess at.

But the greatest horror is reserved for Juana, and for Juana alone. For the young Duque she is forced to marry, she discovers, is a cruel caricature of a man, a person twisted in mind and body. His wealth and rank can supply Juana with undreamed-of luxury - but also with incredible suffering, for the perfumed silks of the master bedchamber conceal the depravity of an unbalanced mind. Juana's brave attempts to escape from the marriage are dealt with harshly, and, to her limitless despair, she finds herself irrevocably betrothed to the terrifying, unbalanced Duque.

Yet, against all hope, there is a way out. Swift and brutal action by the arrogant Felipe can insure Juana's escape from the secrets and treachery of the Castillo Benaventes. But Felipe's protection, she fears, may be more dangerous than his enmity, and all too soon he begins to demand a humiliating payment.... <\i>

I think a lot of BRRA members have read this but I have not. I would like to read it for a challenge that I am doing and would like some company! Is there anyone who has not read this?<\b>

message 5: by Blondie (new) - added it

Blondie (blonde76) | 86 comments This book is also available on scribd they have 30 day free trial if you are interested in reading with us ... I have tied it and I really liked it they have both audible and ebooks available :)

message 6: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments yes, me

message 7: by Doris (new) - added it

Doris I purchased a hard back copy of F&D for my birthday two years ago. Then a paperback copy of THE SILVER DEVIL for last year’s birthday. Pricey stuff. Too bad she didn’t have the chance to write any more.

This year I’m starting a collection of Brenda Jagger titles. Another Brit who died in the eighties, surprisingly enough.
Her work is centered mostly about the rising industrial middle class in the Yorkshire, England textile industry. Lots of excellent research on the politics and social upheaval of the times.

I’m looking forward to July’s read.

message 8: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments I have read her trilogy Flint and Roses/The Sleeping Sword/The Clouded Hills. It is great read but so long-winded, had to very carefully skip some.

message 9: by Doris (new) - added it

Doris Yes, I know what you mean about long winded. Earlier this year I bought SONG TWICE OVER and had to discipline myself to read each page. I was tempted to skip but I’d done that years ago when I read it the first time-I’d skipped I mean.

I’m glad I gave it a thorough read but it did, at times, feel like a social history. I know a lot more about the Irish potato famine and how people have been migrant workers for centuries. Things are awful at home so you have to leave to try and stay alive even if things are awful where you end up.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Hey Ladies,

I’m going on a cruise for the week of July 9-13.

I’m fantasizing about sitting on the deck of the ship 🚢 and reading and looking out at the water. The fact is, I’m taking a celebratory trip with 15 women. I’m not sure if I’ll have much time to read much. Also, I may not have internet access to post anything if I do get to sit on deck and read.

message 11: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments Wonderful, have a lovely time.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Melita wrote: "Wonderful, have a lovely time."

Thanks!

This will be my first time on the high seas.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Actually,

I’m starting this book today. Though I’m going on vaycay, I’m off work today due to a National holiday, so I’m going to get started.

For a refresher, please see the posts above about how to buddy read and use of spoilers.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments I completed ch 1-2.

Very heavy, dark overtone.

Schemes within schemes.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments This is the wiki for Philip IV of Spain, who was king at the time of the story:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_...

message 16: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments Thanks, how horrible to be married to your uncle at 14yrs.

message 17: by Doris (new) - added it

Doris I’m going to see if I can add a spoiler properly

When the Duque’s uncle did .

message 18: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments Your spoilers are as good as mine. LOL.

message 19: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments I love the opening sentence. Get's you right into the book.

message 20: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments (view spoiler)

message 21: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments It worked.

message 22: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments So you (view spoiler)

message 23: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments <*spoiler> Blah blah blah blah<*/spoiler>

As above but without the asteriks that are included.

message 24: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments CHAPTER VI Page 114

So far there is a hint of Tristan's back story. We know a lot about Juana.

(view spoiler)

message 25: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments Does anyone else like the opening sentence? I just think it is brilliant.

Caroline (carolineadair) | 116 comments "She was, he thought, the loveliest thing he had ever seen."

message 27: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments Conveys so much that sentence.

You are immediately intrigued by both characters.

Caroline (carolineadair) | 116 comments If you like this book, you should read Lemonade.

message 29: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments I have gotten half way and gave up. Did not like the characters and the writing is a bit irritating (maybe to do with translation). Might try again one of these days.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Melita wrote: "I have gotten half way and gave up. Did not like the characters and the writing is a bit irritating (maybe to do with translation). Might try again one of these days."

Ok.

There is no reason to waste time on a book that doesn’t agree with you! I have a whole shelf full of books that I “quit” on.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Flesh and the Devil (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Teresa Denys (other topics)